1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a powered Sub to Toshiba 36ZP48

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cellplex, Aug 11, 2005.

1. cellplex

cellplex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have a Toshiba 36ZP48 with the built-in Dolby Digital surround sound processor and the TV has external front and rear surround sounds speakers wired up with the supplied 8 ohm 10 W minimum speakers. Is there any way or indeed any audio benefit to somehow wiring a mains powered sub-woofer into this setup? If so, could anyone recommend a sub-woofer around the 200 pound range ideal for this setup.

Long term I will move to a dedicated receiver and better speakers but I would like to be able to use whatever sub-woofer I add now to the mix later on.

Many thanks,
    Ian.

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    personally I would think about adding a dedicated receiver first

3. t-c

t-c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

I've been looking to improve the sound from this TV but without the expense and inconvenience of buying and using an AV amp and considering the poor setup of my room. I want to use reasonable components with an ultimate view to having a full blown AV system upgarded in stages.

I replaced the external front speakers with Monitor audio Radius 90's driven directly by the TV.
    I use the TV rear pre-out via a power amp to drive some big rear speakers.
    Finally i have a REL quake sub for better bass. This has an input specifically linked to speaker ouputs - i connect this to the front surrounds. I know this is not ideal but it does sound great and is very tidy! The sub transforms action movies - but be carefull if you have neighbours....

Now to find out how to replace the internal center speaker with an external one - anybody had any success with this? I'll start a post on the TV forum...

tc