1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Pauly, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Pauly

Pauly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question: i have Sony Str940 can you add a power amp ??

Is it worth it ??

If so has anyone done it with this model? and what do people recommend?? also do these power amps drive the fronts and centre speakers leaving my Sony with the rears?

HELP...........

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't have a Sony, but I user an external power amp for my front stereo speakers biamped with the integrated amps channels.

I obviously thought it was worth it but you'd need to listen yourself and decide. The main reason would be to improve the quality of the amplification for the important channels hence y choice for the front 2 for music. Another advantage is that not having the preamp section having to drive speakers aswell can sometimes improve the sound.

I don't know what you can use with the Sony, if you wanted a power amp for all 5 channels, you could pretty much use anything you liked the sound of, however if you were going to just do the fronts and centre's you need to make sure the gain of the power amp is matched to the gain of the amp in your receiver.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gain is only important for bi-amplification, otherwise, just have to change the calibration...

If your receiver has pre-outs, than you can add an external amp with great benefits, I sujest you do the center channel as well as the fronts, otherwise you will hear two different voices per person...

I added a Rotel 3x200 to my Onkyo receiver...

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI, I OWN THE SONY STR940. AND BEFORE THAT A SONY STR 925. SOLD THE 925 UNABLE TO ADD POWER AMPS, JUST RECENTLY ADDED ROTEL RB 970 BX II POWER AMPS TO ALL FIVE CHANNELS ON THE SONY. ALL ROTELS HAVE BEEN BRIDGED TO 180 WATTS, THIS MADE A VAST DIFFERENCE IN CONTROL OF MY SPEAKERS AND NOW THERE IS A BETTER SENSE OF SCALE TO BOTH MOVIES AND MUSIC. TRIED BI AMPING BUT ONLY FOUND MARGINAL IMPROVMENT ON THE OVERALL SOUND. MY ADVICE IS UPGRADE THE SONY BY ADDING POWER AMPS GO FOR WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD, ROTEL AND NAD CAN BRING DEFFINATE INPROVEMENTS OVER THE INTERNAL SONY AMPS, AND YOU CAN FIND SOME USED BARGAINS. BUT TRY TO KEEP TO ONE BRAND OF AMP ALL ROUND TO AVOID ANY UNEVENESS IN SOUND AND POWER.: