1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a Power amp to my system?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by CrispyXUK, Jul 12, 2004.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

got a Denon 3802 powering some Ruark epilogue II's on my system and was thinking about adding a Rotel RB-03 Power amp to the front channels. Would this improve the sound much? I like the sound of rotel amps and heard that the ower amp sections in the denon are its weak point, any advice would be great, thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I previously had a 3802 and also found it very weak for music, but not too bad for movies. I added a pair of Arcam amps to bi-amp my B&W 603s3 speakers and this did make a huge difference for music and even movies as it freed up more power for the surrounds.
    If you like the sound of the Rotel amps with your speakers then I would say this is a worth while upgrade that should improve things. But being a power amp you will still be useing the 3802's preamp for music which is where there is a large weakness with the 3802 & the vast majority of AV receivers. If you want to improve the music side far more then you would be better off getting an integrated amp.

Mark.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think you'll find that adding a separate power amp improves the sound,but it's also worth looking to your longer term plans,if you wanted to upgrade further,and maybe putting the money towards either a much better receiver,or possibly the beginnings of a processor/power amp separates system.

The Denon is a very good value for money receiver,but as you've noted,not all that strong on music.....if you eventually intend to go to separates,then buying a power amp makes good sense.

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Good advice guys, im now thinking of getting an RMB-1066 to start with and eventually removing the denon and replacing it with the RSP-1066, is this a good plan?

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I'd add an arcam A22/A32 as this will give you good stereo sound and a power amp all in one. It also has a fixed processor mode that allows you to control the av bit with the av amp (which is important I feel).

CaM

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I agree with Cameron about the processor mode of the Arcams being a great feature when the amp is connected to an AV receiver. AFAIK the Rotels do not have this feature, but saying that CrispyXUK did say that he liked the sound of the Rotel amps so a demo really should be setup for both amps if possible to see which is prefered. The down side of the Arcams is that AFAIK they do not make a 3 channel amp, therefore only the L&R can be powered by it where as the Rotel is a 3 channel and would therefore be able to power the centre as well.
    Now perhaps if you went for the Arcam P7 and bi-amped the front soundstage with 6 of the amps........... :devil:

Mark.

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The addition of an Arcam A75+ to my AVR3802 improved music greatly and with the av in mode made integration very simple. The addition of a P80 power amp allowed me to bi-amp my Linn Ninka's for even better stereo performance giving more power, better control and imaging.
    Its also important to have a good source too imo so I upgraded my CDP from an Arcam CD72T to a Naim CD5i and now I'm very happy with the results I get playing music and watching movies :D

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Stop it guys! you making me skint :)

Source is an HCPC via Audiohile 2496 with foobar2000 resampling to 24/96khz BTW