1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a PJ

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by derekn, Jul 12, 2005.

1. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi everyone,

I'm adding a pj (Optoma H30A) to my system and would like to canvass opinion on the best way to connect it, not as a permanent fixture but to be brought out when required.

Currently I use component video direct between DVD and Plasma; with Sky+ I route the S-video through the AV32 to get the OSD.

One plan is to connect DVD s-video to AV32 and then s-video to the pj (only one cable for both DVD and Sky). Tried DVD to AV via s-video last night and on the plasma the DVD was only in black and white?

Another option would be to use the three phono RGB sockets on the DVD direct to the similar on the pj, which I guess might give a better picture. I'd also need the s-video connection for Sky as well.

Before I buy any cables, any opinions will be gratefully received....

Regards,

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Derek.
    Regarding the black and white, easy, you need to change the DVD output from component to s-video+composite. I assume your talking about a DVD32R here?

If so the output of the DVD on s-video and interlaced RGB is a lot closer than one may think so why not give it a go and connect both the sky box and DVD to the AV and one s-video cable out to the plasma. Not perfect but as I said it is a lot closer than most may think. A lot oviously depends on how the screen handles the signal......

3. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    :oops:
    Now had a chance to read the manual and inspect the menu for the DVD32!

Realised that I can only have one type of output from the DVD32, ie Component or S-Video, not both at the same time. So plan A goes out of the window and I shall follow plan B, get a 3xRCA connector for the DVD and s-video for sky.

Cheers,

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Of course having a AV192R and the RGB switcher module solves all this if your wife really does let you "indulge" your hobby :D Personally I think the sky+ s-video output is a bit grim and the RGBS output rather better for big screen viewing....... The DVD32R though is, as I said, a lot higher quality on its s-video output.

5. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks Graham, looks like we were typing out my solution at the same time! I reckon my wife is more indulgent than my bank manager, but I do the best I can. I'll experiment and see what I come up with. Good luck with the new job.

Many thanks,

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Cheers.....

7. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Graham (and anyone else who'd like to chip in),

I've now had time to try out the all s-video option. It's certainly very convenient with dvd, sky and osd all down the one cable, however, I do find both the dvd and pj picture sharper and brighter via component and have gone back to that.

This still leaves me with the relatively naff picture from sky (I hate the fuzzy football socks) and I note your comment on the rgb output being better. I assume this requires a scart to rgb cable.

But there's only one component input on the plasma so I would need to acquire an rgb switcher. An av192 (I wish!) would work :D but I need a cheaper (and cost effective) option.

It's not particularly cheap, but what about something like a Lumagen scaler? This would be a kind of video hub, add current features and be future proof in terms of upgraded sources and display. Then again some might advocate an SDI modded sky box, or to wait for it to go hd!

Whatever I do, I would like the improvement to be somewhat proportional to the outlay!

Anyone been down this route?

Regards,

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Would a Dr Sim box help here? Lumagen is a great solution I think but more money.

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I'm sure Gordon has customers with the DVD32 going via the Lumagen

10. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been toying with the Lumagen route myself - I spoke to one dealer and he advised me not to bother while others say it's a worth while purchase.. Such a mind field! - I should just give Gordon a call but I don't like to pester people until I'm in a position to purchase and that is a few months away yet... :(

I'm currently running the component of the FLR (non psm) into a Domino 18 - Picture is great but can it be improved? Also, as the pj only has component or vga in, is the Lumagen the best thing for me or would maybe a DVDo with a vga output be better?

11. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the help so far.

As a first step I'm going to try some quality s-video cables and see if that leads :) to an improvement.

A part solution suggested by js technology was to leave the dvd to plasma connection as is and route the sky rgb signal through a vga convertor and input that to the pc input on the plasma - £171. (This would leave the sky to pj as s-video.) To achieve all that I wanted would be a "3 box solution" and was getting silly.

Regards,

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    PolecatPete: I'd like to know who told you not to bother with a scaler.......if you want info now for use in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch,

Gordon

13. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks very much Gordon - I'll spill the beans when I call...

Cheers
    Rob.

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Sky needs all the help it can get when showing on a pj, a scaler is the route to the best possible picture here and tidies cabling...... Only you can decide if its worth the outlay.... Have you tried the RGB to the pj and the s-video to the plasma and vice versa just in case one does a better job than the other with the internal processing? I know several people who do the rgb to pj and s-video to plasma from a SKY+ box and the results are watchable. Sending the rgb into a convertor box for VGA output to the screen is also viable (try before you buy preferably) as long as the VGA input can cope with a non PC based source........ after that its scalers....... getting the input signal to match the res of the display is what most aim to achieve.....

15. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As you can see I use a Lumagen with a DVD32R and get really good results. The Lumagen has + and - points as do most equipment. As far as I'm concerned the + points are as follows;
    -Picture quality is excellent and keeps getting better due to regular operational software improvements.
    -It can be tweaked to death, and has every possible adjustment you could think of.
    -It has a wide selection of flexible ins and outs
    -When integrated is easy to use.

The - points are as follows;
    -Tends to have software bugs (although these are usually fixed quickly)
    -To set up properly takes a very knowledgable installer, e.g Gordon
    -Really needs ISF to get the best out of it.