Adding a new cinema to my existing set up and splitting HDMIs

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by LaurasOtherHalf, Jul 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    So, after some great help in setting up my first system via the forums I thought I'd post up some details on my latest additions and see if people can advise accordingly.

At the moment my main set up is ;

Sky HD Box/Yamaha Bluray/Chromecast > Yamaha Aventage AV AMP > Phillips Ambilight LCD TV HDMI port 1 OR JVC Projector HDMI port2 (sent via cat6 cable and boxes)

We also send the signal to our kitchen TV via the coaxial magic eye cable which is quite low resolution.

All are controlled by a Harmony Hub and Remote.

I now want to add an outdoor screen at the patio, Ideally a pretty basic projector that will also be able to display what is shown on the Sky HD box. So I'm obviously out of HDMI ports on my amplifier and will need to split the signal somehow.

With cat6 cable from my projector down to the amp the easiest way would be to get some new sort of HDMI to Cat6 with an inbuilt splitter and send the signal that way. Then I could have cat6 going to both projectors even though one would only be used at a time (presumably).

I'm also wondering if I could use the same method to send signal to the kitchen TV, the resolution is currently poor and I can get cabling to it. I'm not concerned about being able to watch different channels all at once (although that would be handy) as, as a family we all tend to watch the main TV/Sports/Movies together although I must admit this may change as children grow up!

The Yamaha Amp also has a B set of speakers which I would use for the outside garden screen and I can also create a third set for another patio should I need to.

So is this level of splitting signals possible, or even worthwhile?

I could also do with a replicated Hub remote that can be used as an extra around the house in one of the other rooms (the kitchen for example).

Is there a better way of doing this these days? I'm quite aware I might be trying to fudge the system into doing something it wasn't designed to do so if there is a dedicated unit that can be added to take care of all this that might be an easier option?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    AVR - confirm what the Zone B Loudspeaker Output caters for, many only support the onboard Tuner, Streamer and Analogue audio signals (no Digital Sources to Zone B).

HD Distribution - you could split the Source Signal or one or other of the AVR HDMI Output signals, any of them may work without a hitch or you could hit HDCP and EDID issues, a more capable HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) can help out if you do hit issues.

HD Distribution - always much simpler if all Display devices support the same range of Video signals.

HDMI over CAT - the Distribution Amp can be combined with an 'Over CAT' Extender or could be an Integrated unit.

Multiple Channels - SKY Q is worth considering!

Joe

3. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Joe, Sky Q may be an option in the future but not until we're out of our current TalkTalk contract which is providing absolutely useless levels of speed!

Presumably if the B speakers on the amp don't supply the TV sound I'd need to look at a second AV amp that can be driven via the split HDMI signal?

Are all these different HDMI splitters that are on amazon much of a muchness? I'm already missing Maplin since their closure!