Adding a new AV receiver as a pre-amp

bsacco

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here on this forum.

I own an old top-of-the-line Yamaha RX-V! AV receiver from back in 2000.

The unit's power and the sound is impressive. Though, it lacks all the fancy codecs for reading all the new (latest) sound formats.

Now, I'd be challenged to try to figure out just what I'm missing since my old receiver encodes Dolby Digital, DTS and a 6-CHANNEL INPUTS FOR EXTERNAL DECODER.

So, my question is, say if I was to add a new Yamaha RX-V481 and run it as a pre-amp would that be the best way to upgrade my system for the least amount of money spent? Would it it even work?

ouch! $800 for the 781... hummm, wouldn't you think manf like Yamaha would make it possible to upload codecs into your AV receiver like a PC? I mean, all that's happening is in software....not hardware. geeeze louise....;)

Yeah, Denom AVR-X3300W is another choice, although it's similar money. Another option is to go for last year's model (679) - I saw one in the classifieds here for only £100. Let's face it, power amplification isn't going to change much over time (so keep using your old Yamaha as a power amp), but pre-amp functionality/codecs/etc will continue to change year on year, so it makes sense to spend your money carefully there.

Yes, agreed. But there are plenty-o-audio-nazis that will attempt to tell you otherwise. It's nice to hear someone on these forums that employs common sense;).

It's a bit unclear to me how exactly you would hookup a pre-amp to the Yamaha RX-V1. It's confusing to me. Do you know where the Pre-amp INs are?

Also, I never understood the 6 ch. audio input section on the back panel. Do you?

Just a word of warning, I recently added a power amplifier to my AVR for front L&R and got a lot of static hiss. I cured it by routing the interconnects through a Behringer hum destroyer, but that seemed to be at a cost of a lot of volume / power.

I think in theory it is a good idea to use a pre-amp and power amp, but in practice it is a bit of a hassle, you end up with a lot of excess cables, it means your separates rack looks a bit overcrowded, you are (probably) using more electric. And, crucially, with the price of pre-amps and power amps being so expensive, it is not much of a saving over an integrated amp. Especially if you pick up last years models / or an open box item.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom