Adding a network HP Printer into a netgear network

marty123

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 'Range Max ADSL2+ Netgear Router and attached to it i have a PC (wire), a ps3 (wireless) and two laptops (wireless - not alway on).

I have also just got a HP CN1515n printer which accepts ethernet cables and USB.

I STUPIDLY bought a HP wireless upgrade kit, but as this only allows the printer to speak to one PC (easily) it is not very much use.

Therefore, can anyone recommend a print server (?) that i could add to this set up to minimise hastle?

Thanks!

If the printer you bought has an ethernet connection, that normally means that a print server is already built in

If that is the case, you just need to plug the printer in to your router, and set it up as a networked printer on each PC/Laptop

The printer would pick up it's IP address from DHCP on the router, and by pressing a combination of buttons on the printer it would give you a printout of things like Host Name, IP Address, MAC Address etc

Using the supplied CD, will allow you to set it all up easily

If you look at the user manual it explains it all in there

If the printer you bought has an ethernet connection, that normally means that a print server is already built in

If that is the case, you just need to plug the printer in to your router, and set it up as a networked printer on each PC/Laptop

The printer would pick up it's IP address from DHCP on the router, and by pressing a combination of buttons on the printer it would give you a printout of things like Host Name, IP Address, MAC Address etc

Using the supplied CD, will allow you to set it all up easily

If you look at the user manual it explains it all in there

THANKS!

However, the genius that I am, forgot to mention that i can't use an ethernet cable from my router to my printer, as i can't hide the cable. So i need to make it wireless as easily as possible.

You need something that'll act as a wireless bridge, that means it'll connect an ethernet network (or in this case, a single ethernet printer) to another bit of the network wirelessly.

If you or a friend has a spare router you may be able to use that, or you could look into buying a wireless access point as I know at least some of them do this.

Ah, now I see your predicament

I'm assuming that you can't move either your router or printer to be closer to each other so that you can use a cable?

Other options you could use:-

1.HomePlugs
2.Wireless Repeater (can be a spare wireless router with the modem part turned off) (but can be a pain to configure)
3.Wireless Print Server (Netgear do one for about £60.00)

I have to warn you that wireless printing can be very, very slow, especially if you want to print a file that is fairly large e.g photos

If I send a photo to my printer via a network cable, it start printing immediately, but if I send the same photo from my laptop downstairs by wireless, it can take up to fifteen minutes to start printing

If I were you, I would go with the HomePlugs
You would get decent speed and it is easy to set up, and no loss of connection

But it is a shame that you can't connect the two via a network cable as you have the print server already built in to the printer

all you need is a wireless access point that can work in client mode as a bridge, or a dedicated bridge

Netgear used to make a gaming adapter WGE111 that did just that, now you can just get an access point like a WG602 put it in client mode, plug it into the printer ethernet port ...and thats it

..oh it will need the wireless passphrase etc too

then just use it as normal :smashin:

You are all top gents! :thumbsup::clap:

If you are ever near by then i'll treat you to a drink!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom