Adding a CPU fan

Venomx999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a fan built into my case at the back and I dont feel any air coming out of it at the rear so I'm guessing its pulling air in?
When I get my new cpu fan , which way should I have it, facing the rear of the computer, or facing the front ?

Here is my current cpu fan, as you can see there is also a fan on the left too

Attachments

• 20201216_124936.jpg
    20201216_124936.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 73
A CPU fan should be pushing air the same way as the case fan, so if it is an intake the CPU fan should be pushing away from it.
otherwise the two airflows would be fighting against each other

Makes sense. thanks.
I have a full sized ATX case, and a micro ATX mobo. Will this cooler be ok ? Amazon product ASIN B07Y88BNYZ
I've checked the width of my current cooler, and the Noctua one is actually smaller in diamater ( between the ram on the right and the case on the left )
And 2.5cm different in height. ( up and down )

The red fan is pulling air in.

Attachments

• 50727071567_1778aa58fc_o.jpg
    50727071567_1778aa58fc_o.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Weren't you getting 67°C load temperatures with your current cooler? What's the new one for? Reduced noise?

Cooler compatibility is determined by case (typically only height) and the spacing around the components on your motherboard which is down to the individual model, the form factor of the motherboard doesn't matter.

Generally a 120mm tower cooler won't have any issues in a tower case with a MicroATX motherboard.

The cooler you've linked seems rather pricey for what it is, I wouldn't expect it to perform noticeably different from a £20-30 cooler.

Weren't you getting 67°C load temperatures with your current cooler? What's the new one for? Reduced noise?

Cooler compatibility is determined by case (typically only height) and the spacing around the components on your motherboard which is down to the individual model, the form factor of the motherboard doesn't matter.

Generally a 120mm tower cooler won't have any issues in a tower case with a MicroATX motherboard.

The cooler you've linked seems rather pricey for what it is, I wouldn't expect it to perform noticeably different from a £20-30 cooler.

Load is about 72c with the stock one.
Wanted a quieter one as the current one has an annoying constant whirr to it and just to upgrade my system a bit. I spent a bit extra as it is very well reviewed all over, 6 year warranty and it looks very easy to install.

I have done all the measurments so it should be fine

How do you know which side pulls and which side pushes ? My case fan pulls air into the tower

Last edited:
You may be able to adjust the fan curves for your current one, if it's only hitting 72°C with a fairly small cooler then it's on an aggressive setting, cooling more than necessary at the cost of higher noise.

That adjustment would be in your motherboard software or BIOS settings.

The fan case should be marked with the direction of airflow - the air usually comes out of the side where the fan hub is fixed.

I spent a bit extra as it is very well reviewed all over, 6 year warranty and it looks very easy to install.

All great reasons to spend five, maybe ten pounds more on a £25 item.

The U12S is very much a product aimed at enthusiasts who want the best and buy this sort of thing as a hobby rather rather than for practical considerations.

As long as you have a sense of how much difference there is then that's fine but it's always worth pointing these things out just in case as reviews on these sorts of products often don't provide much in the way of perspective.

Thanks.
I was told to switch that rear red fan around as it's supposed to blow air out the case and not in. Is that true?

Generally, yes the rear fan is used as an exhaust. Is there a front fan too?

Generally, yes the rear fan is used as an exhaust. Is there a front fan too?
Yes, two big ones.
My current case fan can only fit one way, which means I can't use it as an exhaust.

I'll have to get an arctic p12. They're only £6

whats the orientation of the front two, they could be exhausts?

Pretty sure they're pulling air into the case . I'll double check later before I buy the case fan

Ok. The front two are pulling into the case, and the rear is pushing out of the case ( exhaust style )
No need to get a case fan then, happy days :D

When installing the new heatsink and cpu fan, it should be in this direction right ?
this.jpg

When removing the paste off the CPU, is it best just to use some alcohol wipes ?

Thanks !
I bought some pre made cpu cleaning wipes from Noctua

Shouldn't have to take the mobo out to install it ?

Cant get the heatsink in ***
I screw one side in slightly then the other side wont go in at all.
Used all my thermal paste and even managed pulling the CPU out of its socket when pulling the heatsink out before trying again

Installed it, temps are excellent and it's silent

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom