Question Adding a 2nd Sub to a Monitor Audio RSW12

Nice! Well you didn´t cheap out with the receiver. I thought you must have bought something like X2600H from sale with money being tight. 🤭

Check the link i posted about the placements cause it can make dramatic difference. For a small sealed woofers i would start with corners at front / diagonal front/back. If you have fairly normal room shape ( no odd shapes/openings), you could download REW program and use the room simulator to show you what kind of response you get by moving listener, subs etc. You just fill the room dimensions there and put listener to where you are, potential sub positions.. We have few REW gurus here who can help you.
I did the REW room simulator. I was limited to either both front placement or opposite corners front/rear. I went for front/rear opposite corners. Ive only used Audyssey so far for correction. I will also have to learn to use REW and buy a better mic and its seems quite a steep learning curve. I find myself reading everything several times lol

Likewise! Need to invest in a mic and start analysing my system now I've spent a reasonable amount on it all and have a capable receiver. Next will be debating whether to go 7.2 or 5.4.2 :) But will probably need to wait until next year, unless I spot a good deal on some Silver-FX's :D

Likewise! Need to invest in a mic and start analysing my system now I've spent a reasonable amount on it all and have a capable receiver. Next will be debating whether to go 7.2 or 5.4.2 :) But will probably need to wait until next year, unless I spot a good deal on some Silver-FX's :D
I keep looking for Silver RSFX-s as well to match my Front haha. Missed a couple of sets. 5.2.2 next for me ive got the stuff, just havent got round to it yet. My latest binge has been Acoustic Panels lol

I've held off buying ceiling speakers as ours is artex, with lath and plaster. Think I'll be putting that off as long as I can, and have deliberately missed a few very good deals. Room layout isn't ideal for 7.1 due to little to no room between rears and sides, although I hope with the FX's, if they are a little in front of the listening position, it shouldn't be too detrimental.
Ive thought about panels too, did they make much difference? We've got a king size bed in the room, which I've always hoped is doing the same thing lol

I've held off buying ceiling speakers as ours is artex, with lath and plaster. Think I'll be putting that off as long as I can, and have deliberately missed a few very good deals. Room layout isn't ideal for 7.1 due to little to no room between rears and sides, although I hope with the FX's, if they are a little in front of the listening position, it shouldn't be too detrimental.
Ive thought about panels too, did they make much difference? We've got a king size bed in the room, which I've always hoped is doing the same thing lol
I havent had chance to place and fit them all yet. The last few frames should be ready today or tomorrow. My neighbour is kindly making them for me in his garage workshop. I will only be ceiling mounting my Speaker as I will be selling my place end of the year/after Lockdown. I didnt want to cut big holes either. I could easily fill a few drill holes though : ) I will report back next week. I havent ordered my covering fabric yet but can still place the panels round the room for now.

Just a brief update, but despite not being ideally placed due to room layout (they are in the front corners), I can honestly say having 2 subs has made a significant improvement.
Once dialled in with Audessey, having a pair has virtually transformed the low end, before it seemed a bit hollow and only at certain frequencies I could hear the sub adding to the sound track and almost separate. Now they sound present throughout, perfectly integrated and adds weight to the audio, making it sound more full/true. It's the first time (even watching a crap movie) its sounded and felt like a true cinema.
Whilst I know its not the most capable of subs, Im happy with them. Just hoping the second hand one doesn't fail any time soon, seems to work perfectly, but when switching on, there's a long delay before it actually switches on and then it switches itself off and then back on. Suspect power side of the amp has an issue, but it works once on, so Im happy.

Next I'll be making some panels for the walls I think, did the clap test and a lot more echo than I expected. So have to work out a design the wife will approve!

Just a brief update, but despite not being ideally placed due to room layout (they are in the front corners), I can honestly say having 2 subs has made a significant improvement.
Once dialled in with Audessey, having a pair has virtually transformed the low end, before it seemed a bit hollow and only at certain frequencies I could hear the sub adding to the sound track and almost separate. Now they sound present throughout, perfectly integrated and adds weight to the audio, making it sound more full/true. It's the first time (even watching a crap movie) its sounded and felt like a true cinema.
Whilst I know its not the most capable of subs, Im happy with them. Just hoping the second hand one doesn't fail any time soon, seems to work perfectly, but when switching on, there's a long delay before it actually switches on and then it switches itself off and then back on. Suspect power side of the amp has an issue, but it works once on, so Im happy.

Next I'll be making some panels for the walls I think, did the clap test and a lot more echo than I expected. So have to work out a design the wife will approve!
Nice one. I saw a pair of FX surrounds on ebay sold today. I did wonder if it was you haha. I need light oak otherwise I would have been tempted. Ive made up 6 extra panels with the help of my neighbour. All built now, used net curtains to back them and hold the rockwool in the wooden frames, pulled taught. I just need to get 9m of fabric to cover the fronts/sides.

Instead of investing in panels get yourself a measurement mic like umik-1 to find the best placement for the subs, that will be a better investment and could have a more significant improvement to your setup and once done you can sell the mic with only a minimal loss as they are always in high demand

Instead of investing in panels get yourself a measurement mic like umik-1 to find the best placement for the subs, that will be a better investment and could have a more significant improvement to your setup and once done you can sell the mic with only a minimal loss as they are always in high demand
I beg to differ.

I beg to differ.
I didn't mean to say completely ignore the panels my advice was to get umik-1 sort out perfect positioning and fully understand how the system is performing in the space then sell the umik-1 and move on with getting the panels.

I didn't mean to say completely ignore the panels my advice was to get umik-1 sort out perfect positioning and fully understand how the system is performing in the space then sell the umik-1 and move on with getting the panels.
Ideally keep the mic until panels and subs are sorted to be fair. No point in selling the mic, then getting panels as the room will still need measuring.

Have you measured your room so you know what you're treating?

Placement of subs is very limited in my room, the front corners are the only place they can go at the moment. Something I'd love to do is get more width from the front channels, (currently inboard of the projector screen edges), this would involve removing my computer desk and my bedroom door :laugh: But ideally, I'd like to swap the position of the subs and floor standers, then try the 1/4 or 1/3 position for the subs on the front wall.

With regards to the panels, it seems the higher frequencies are more apparent when I hear echo. Whilst the king size bed does a reasonable job of sound absorption, the amount of empty wall space definitely isn't ideal. I'll make some when I get some free time. Will also buy a mic when they come back into stock in the uk :smashin:

How far apart are you subs now? Mine are about 1.5m from driver center to driver center and they're close enough that they're effectively co-located. I get the same response from them and I get +6dB when I play them together. Depending on your response having them so close might be working well for you.

Panels are great for treating higher frequencies. If they're high enough then you might be ok with 5cm panels. I have a mix of 5 and 10cm panels in my room. I used Mafia Panels and they were great.

I'd get the mic first so you can know what you're dealing with before committing to any spend on panels.

They're approx 2.1m apart, so possibly similar response to your own. Was skeptical I'd hear much difference, but after reading forums and watching vids, thought I may as well give it a go, and am very glad I did.

Need to curb my spending at the minute, but will be investing in a minidsp at some point. Anyone know of an affordable app to run on an iPad? Would prefer to use it over laptop/iMac as can't control fans coming on during testing and interfering with results. Same reason I have to try to do all my calibration using the front panel, the projector over head of the listening/mic position is somewhat noisy. Also, is it worth investing in the Ausdessey app for fine tuning?

It'd be worth modelling different locations in REWs room sim to see what sub locations do in your space.

An app to do what? Use the minidsp? You can only do that with the window/mac app. Fans on the laptop are unlikely to affect the results as they're well below the measured level.
Same as the projector. If that's on when you watch then it should be on when you measure.

Audyssey app is only good if you have an audyssey AVR? REW is the gold standard.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom