1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a 2channel power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bob1, Aug 3, 2004.

1. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello i have had a stereo amp connected to my sony 1080 av amp.I found that this improved the sound on stereo even when using the preamp on the sony.Would it worth getting a power amp for the fronts or should i go for a five channel amp or should i just get a better av amp. :confused: :suicide:

2. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would go for a powerful 5 chanel poweramp - I choose the halo a52 but whatever takes your fancey.

I had a yamy 630 av amp. I then added a stereo amp (arcam A32). I then added a A52 poweramp. This gives me the options of 7 poweramp channels or using the A32 as a premap and running the stereo through the superior poweramp (which I do).

I hope that helps.

CaM

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    bob1

As you've already 'tasted' the potential advantages of separate AV Processing and Amplification I'd continue down that route.

There are many options out there for single, dual or multi (5 and 7) channel Amplification and equally as many high quality AV Processors - so plenty of options at your disposal.

Have a look in the Power Buy section of the Forum's - we have a couple of interesting offers on Atlantic Technology and Flying Mole (I'd never heard of them either) kit that may be ideal for you.

Best regards

Joe

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi thanks for the replies(been away for a few days) ,i was thinking on the lines of a Rotel RB985 mk 2.I have seen these in the second hand market around the £350 ,is that a good price and is it a good amp? I would no doubt add a procceser when i could afford it.

Thanks Bob1.