1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding 5.1 decoder to existing system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by joelryan2k, May 22, 2003.

1. joelryan2k

joelryan2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (extremely sorry if this has been asked before... searched but couldn't find an answer)

I have a Sony receiver which supports 5.1 (has center, 2 front, 2 rear and sub), but isn't able to do the actual 5.1 decoding. It has no digital input. Instead, it just has RCA jacks for each 5.1 channel. It needs the signal decoded for it.

My Sony DVD player only has a digital output.

Is there a component I can buy that will accept the digital 5.1 input from the DVD player, decode it and output it to the receiver via RCA cables. I'm looking for something under $100, hopefully cheaper.

(Note: By RCA cables, I'm talking about the commonly used red and white paired cables)

Thanks
    -- Joel

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yes there is they are few and far between but a couple of company do make themTry some PC retailer as they are often used for PC users.
    Try searching the net (google) for DD/DTS decoder

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checkout my HK 303 advert. It's a DD processor. Put in between your DVD player and 5.1 input on the AV amp.

I'm live in the UK. I take it you're in the US?

Another DD processor is the Denon AVD-2000. I've also got one of these as well!

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Or buy a DVD player with built in decoding - maybe something like the Toshiba SD520.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say the HK 303/Denon AVD-2000 are MUCH better decoders than then built-in ones (sound quality, steering, DAC's, lower noise). Plus have advanced features (Denon) that most DVD players lack.

If he's happy with the DVD player why change it?

Another alternative (and probably better method) is replacing the AV amp, although this will cost £200-£300 or more.

6. joelryan2k

joelryan2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all very much for the information and direction on where to find this component. I greatly appreciate it!

-- Joel

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A bit old now but My Technics SH-AC300 AC3 processor is great they did an AC3 & DTS one also SH-AC500 I think.
    I use the processor in conjunction with a Yamaha 5.1 input amp and it works very well. Should be able to pick one up cheaply or possibly even 2nd hand as people upgrade. Mine will be going when I can decide what Amp to replace but I've already got a buyer I'm afraid.