Question Adding 4K kit to an old AVR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mjtoal, Dec 10, 2016.

1. mjtoal

mjtoal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i currently have a Yamaha 863SE and am planning to get a Samsung 4K TV, Samsung UHD Blu Ray and shortly Sky Q.

My current pre-4K stiff is all connected via HDMI to the Yamaha and switched using that.

I am currently undecided whether to get a new AVR (such as a Denon 2300) because I don't really get the benefit of surround sound with kids in bed limiting volume and bass, so am considering a Q Acoustics M4 which would be connected with an optical from the TV.

So here is my question. Can I connect the 4K Blu Ray and Sky Q to the TV then push audio from the TV out using a digital cable to the Yamaha? Then do the video switching using the TV menu and use a single audio channel for all audio out? This would give me more thinking time about whether to get a new AVR or the Q Acoustics.

Thanks for advice. Haven't thought about this stuff for years so not up to date with all tech stuff on 4K.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,219
    Providing your TV can pass through 5.1 audio via optical to the receiver then it's possible. Not all makes allow 5.1 passthrough, my Panny VT65 does not. If your current amp has two optical in then problem solved.

3. mjtoal

mjtoal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe from another thread in AV Forums that the Samsung series I am looking at can pass through, for example from an Apple TV connected directly to the TV. My amp has 3 optical inputs. Would any one of these do to share the audio from several sources connected by HDMI to the TV?

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Or connect each device direct to the amp via an optical cable. This way you know you have 5.1 and less chance of lip sync issues too. Optical does mean you lose hd audio.