Adding 2nd hard drive problem!

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Hi folks,
I've added an extra 80gb HD to my HTPC and for some reason Windows isn't recognising the fact it's there! I can see it in the BIOS as the primary IDE slave but when I go into Windows and into disk management it doesn't show up (should appear as not initialised shouldn't it?). Also when I run the seagate disc wizard it brings the screen up with the Seagate logo on then just shuts itself down and doesn't go any further than that. I'm at a loss to be honest, anyone else experienced similar problems? Could it be anything to do with the fact that the HD I've added is exactly the same model/size as my existing HD (wouldn't expect that to matter but you never know).

Cheers
Andy

A

al5x

Andy,

I would suggest trying each of the following...

1. Double check you've got the master/slave jumpers set correctly on both drives (which looks like you have).

2. Try a new/different IDE cable (unless it's SATA of course..)

3. Place the drive as a single device on it's own IDE Channel temporarily removing/disconnecting your CD/DVD rom if necessary.

4. Disconnect your working drive (just to be on the safe side), and run a windows setup to see if that can see your new drive.

5. Check for any BIOS updates for your motherboard.

Aleks.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestions, don't really want to install windows on it to be honest and pretty sure it's not the cable (it shows up in the bios ok after all). I think Windows isn't recognising a new drive cos the new one is exactly the same as the existing one (model/size). Wonder if anyone else has 2 identical drives in their PC?
Suppose i could try installing it on the secondary IDE channel and formatting it that way, don't suppose that makes any difference does it? Once it's formatted I could then put it back on the primary IDE channel and hope it gets recognised (I have my doubts!).

Cheers,
Andy.

A

al5x

Andy,

Even though the BIOS can see the drive, I would still recommend trying a different IDE cable...(are you using standard ATA cables or Ultra?) I've seen some pretty wierd things happen when using dodgy cables in the past even though the machine would boot fine.

Re installing windows on the second drive, I simply meant to run the begining of setup to see if it actually recognised the drive stand-alone i.e. outside of the BIOS, if it does then at least you know the drive is ok...in which case the problem may well be due to having 2 identical drives...

Again, I would recommend checking for an updated BIOS and read the release notes to see if it mentions anything about hard drives...

Have you taken a look at the tech section of the Seagate website? might be worth dropping their tech support an email...

Oh, and what OS are you running - 2K or XP? service pack(s)?

Cheers,

Aleks.

vonhosen

Novice Member
Originally posted by zAndy1
I think Windows isn't recognising a new drive cos the new one is exactly the same as the existing one (model/size). Wonder if anyone else has 2 identical drives in their PC?
Andy.
Don't think that will be the problem.
I'm running two identical WD hard drives on the same channel without problems.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Update time.. I've updated the BIOS for my motherboard (Abit IC7) to the latest version. Still didn't recognise it in XP. Changed the cable to another one, still no joy. Removed my DVD Rom/ DVD-RW, put it on the secondary IDE channel as the master, hey presto, windows detected new hardware, disk management could see it, formatted it ok. Put it back on the primary IDE channel as the slave, no sign of it in Windows again. I'm at a loss now, it can't be the cable, it can't be the drive, it just isn't recognised as being there when it's the slave on the primary IDE channel (in Windows that is, the BIOS shows it fine). Run out of ideas here folks! Any more suggestions?

Cheers,
Andy.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
The primary slave device isn't disabled in the bios?
Is the drive listed in the device manager in windows?

I had a similar issue when installing a second cdrw as the secondary slave. Solution was to drop into the bios change the secondary slave detection from auto to manual and back again: then the device was properly identified . Quitting out of the bios and booting into windows then got everything recognised and its been fine since.

This was after a few rounds of swapping it with the secondary master a few times.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Also try setting them both as cable select instead of master and slave. Also are they plugged into the right socket on the cable for master and slave ( I think this has become less necessary but it used to be an issue)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Hi,
No primary slave not disabled, it shows up fine in the BIOS as an ST380011A with a capacity of 80GB. The device isn't listed in the device manager, just the drive on the master is listed. Tried the BIOS change (auto to manual), no joy. Yes they're plugged into the correct socket on the cable. It's a mystery to me, I've e-mailed Seagate tech support, see what they have to say.

Cheers,
Andy.

A

al5x

Just to clarify, you are using the jumper setting on each drive to specify master/slave and not relying on the cable select?

The reason I wanted to double check is because I've only just discovered that apparently there was a change for the physical location on the cable between ATA & Ultra ATA cables, and not all ATA cables support cable select....

...and have you tried the drive as a slave on the secondary channel? ok it's not a solution, but as a tempory fix while you wait to hear from Seagate... (providing it actually works as a slave of course!)

Aleks.

Messiah

Have you run fdisk to set an active partition on the drive. If not I would suggest you try that. You could then format it at the same time.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I've tried all combinations, using the jumpers to set master/slave and also using cable select on both drives, none of them make a difference. I haven't tried it as a slave on the secondary channel as I have my dvd writer on that channel so it's not really an option to be honest. I have set an active partition on the drive, when I connected it as master on the secondary channel I was able to create a partition and format it using XP Disk Management. The only problem seems to be when it's set to slave on the primary channel, it just doesn't get recognised.
Thanks for all the suggestions folks but I don't think there's a straightforward solution to this one I'm afraid, think I've exhausted all possibilities now really (ruled out the cable and the disk itself). Gotta be a quirk of XP or something, I have a feeling if this new drive wasn't the same as the original one I wouldn't be having these problems!

Cheers
Andy

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
well it seems this one has got Seagate stumped as well, they're saying it must be a controller problem (by that I assume they mean IDE controller). They suggested installing the second HD as the secondary master and have my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives split between the primary and secondary channels. I've always assumed that wasn't a good idea (not sure why) , are there any performance implications from doing what he's suggested. I suppose if I put a DVD drive on the primary slave and it doesn't show up then it proves it's not the hard drive combination that's the problem so that'll be worth a try..

Cheers,
Andy

gab2001uk

Novice Member
I have no idea why your problem exists, but the location of the drives is important for successful DVD copying:

Boot drive and DVD-ROM on IDE 1
Slave Drive and DVD Writer on IDE 2 ( hdd as master/ dvd as slave)

This will allow you to make direct dvd copies without using an intermediate temp file. HDD to HDD is not important, but is also faster if the drives are on separate channels as above

K

Kramer

I can categorically say that it's nothing to do with having 2 identical drives.

I have (& had) identical drives on several PCs with no such issue.

Strange one though which I hope you get sorted.

:smoke:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Update time... put my DVD Rom drive as the primary slave, showed up fine. So, took the new HD and connected it as the primary slave in my other PC upstairs (the problem one is my HTPC). The primary master in the upstairs PC is a 120GB seagate. Guess what, showed up fine. So I use Seagate diskwizard to copy my existing HD to the new one which works ok, put the new HD in as the primary master (removing the old one completely) and it boots up fine, basically it's a copy of my 120GB HD with less free space. So I now had a 'spare' 120GB Seagate so connected that as the primary slave in the HTPC, guess what, not recognised. So like Kramer thought, nothing to do with it being the same drive. Did some more google searching and discovered could be a motherboard problem when SATA is enabled so disabled that, rebooted, still didn't recognise it. Then went into device manager for the primary IDE channel and clicked on 'Scan for hardware changes'... voila, recognised the new 120GB HD. Not sure if it would have done that with SATA enabled but I don't care , at least it's working now! Only thing is I now have a 2nd HD with 3 partitions on (including one with XP installed, it's the HD out of my other PC after all!). Can I safely delete partitions on the 2nd drive, basically I just want one partition on the 2nd HD of 120GB cos it's just going to be used for storing online DVDs.
Moral of story, abit IC7 is a bit tempremental to say the least (the other motherboard that worked fine straight away was an ASUS P4P800).

Cheers,
Andy

T

trevor8002

Hi

This might help, just had the same problem with mine. I beleive you need to seperately install raid drivers for the new drive. These drivers should have come with your motherboard. You should be able to do this within windows by just installing the drivers. Windows will not recognise an ATA 133/Raid drive until it has RAID drivers for the IDE channel on the motherboard. When you connected it to the normal ide channel this would have recognised it but would only be running at 33 not the higher100/133.

See if you can get anywhere with this.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom