1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

add some punch !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by k thompson, Jan 3, 2002.

1. k thompson

k thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to add an active s/woofer to my amp a paramount pictures hcs5300d ....... it has an passive sub which work the .1 but has no s/woofer out .....can i use the rca on the 5.1 direct ???

im happy with the amp the sound but would like just a bit more thump when the wife is out !

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This would be easier to answer if I had heard of the paramount pictures hcs5300d but I am afraid that I haven't.

A passive sub won't work the .1 as these are low frequency effects sent specifically to the .1 output and a passive sub is connected to the speaker terminals.

An decent active sub could be connected to the speaker terminals and would probably provide more grunt but is not a real substitute for an active sub connected to the subwoofer output.

3. k thompson

k thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er ....thanks for your reply so is that a no it wont work then lol,the amp was tested on july 01 by what video and tv ,the end results can be seen on there web site ! which is a part of this site !

Anyone else got a solution for me ??? apart from change me amp as that is not what im going to do ??

thanks guys

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am sorry that I didn't spend enough time searching archives to discover exactly what your system was but I have now read the review as directed and it would appear that the amp does not have the required outputs for you to connect up an active sub for LFE.

It is an all in one system which is not designed to be upgraded and the 5.1 direct channel inputs are for connecting up a source with it's own internal decoder.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your DVD player have an onboard decoder and the 5.1 phono (RCA) outputs on the back? If so you could connect the Active sub directly to the .1 output on the DVD. Not much use for TV and Video but it would work.
    Rog

6. k thompson

k thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no im running a sd210e tosh ......but i have one on a my amp ?? is that no good as it has been "amped"

can anything be done with the two cables that drive the passive sub ,i.e into the spring clips on the of a active sub

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can do that with a sub that has high level input, like all RELs...

8. k thompson

k thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanxs for that !!!!

9. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: