Add power amp to Arcam AVR550

Rasha28

I wanted to add a compatible power amp to my Arcam AVR550. It currently powers Kef R900 for fronts, kef R300s as rears x 4, R600 got centre and and an REL 212se subwoofer. Seems like the fronts can do with a bit more power. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thx

Rasha

StefanBFC

Emotiva or Nord's would be a good place to start looking, depending on you're budget

Rasha28

Any particular model? Budget will be around £1500.

Thx

D

Deleted member 39241

Be aware of gain matching. The Arcam power amps designed to match these receivers have a low input sensitivity of 800mv. Arcam recommend in the manual for the AVR550 to use a power amp with a gain of 31db.

The AVR550 hasn't been measured but the 390 and 850 have, and the results were a bit odd, depending on whether the speakers are set as small or large.

If you want to research that, have a look at the tests on Audio Science Review.

If you want to play it safe, just use a power amp with the necessary 31db gain.

rccarguy2

I'd go for one with high gain older emotiva had 31.

Most are 29.

BlackSpider777

I wanted to add a compatible power amp to my Arcam AVR550. It currently powers Kef R900 for fronts, kef R300s as rears x 4, R600 got centre and and an REL 212se subwoofer. Seems like the fronts can do with a bit more power. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thx

Rasha
which power amp you eventually bought?

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom