1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add MP3 to Audi Stereo

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by glasgow boy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. glasgow boy

glasgow boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently got a new A3 company car with the standard single CD head unit (no multi changer).

I'm looking for some way of playing MP3's in the car (I've got hundrerds of CD's albums and singles). Ideally I would replace the head unit with one that took MP3 CD's, but don't think I wouild be allowed by "the company" :lesson:

I could add an audi changer, but I don't think that would play MP3's and don't think it would show the album, track name, etc. Other option is Ipod linked throuigh radio.

Any other good suggestions to avoid me carrying around hundresds of CD's?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
  3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    You can get an adapter kit to fit any DIN size radio to the A3 (I'm doing the same with my new A4 that's coming next week). If you keep the original radio and pop that back in when the car is due for replacement, surely "the company" should allow it.

4. glasgow boy

glasgow boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys.

The company would probably frown upon changing the look inside the car (a memo states NO MODIFICATIONS :nono: ..... blah blah) hence I would prefer if at all possible to retain the current head unit. As a last resort I would look at changing it and talk nicely to them :lease: (I've done it in every car of my own up till now).

Gizlaroc, where do you get the kit to link an Ipod into the head unit and how does it connect / work?

5. spunnoose

spunnoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently installed a Phatbox in my A4. I got from US for $120. It has a 20Gb hard disc and will read mp3, wma and WAV. Audi head unit will allow to select the song with voice commands. Installed in the boot instead of CD changer using standard AUDI cd changer cable. BEST thing I have ever owned. Working like a dream with no skipping. i am sure your company wont mind you having this.

Any queries, contact me

6. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=VADX001

This has a harness on it, you take off the original adapter that goes into the back of the head unit and put the new one in and then put the original back in.
    You then add a 2 phono to 3.5mm jack to it or whatever you need to add your mp3 player/cd player/MD Player.

You can then run the cable down to the cubby area beneath the climate control, or bring it further back and come up where the tray is under the armrest if you prefer.
    This only gives you audio and does not charge the unit though. But it does mean you are not limited to an ipod.

If you go ipod you can get a dension ice link, it will also charge the ipod too.

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    on my A4 concert head unit I added a connecter to the back where the multichange would normally go. this basically gave me stereo phono input to plug my mp3 player into.

The unit sits behind the head unit and cost be about £50. I';ve just sold the A4 and had the converter removed. If you're interested in it drop me a line

9. Boson

Boson
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    sorry to bump such an old thread but i'm in the same situation here, but this is 4 years old, is there anything more recent that can be used to play mp3's without removing the front unit?