Add MA silver 300 or upgrade all to Arendal 1723s

Thanks for clarifying. Was just unsure as I know I probably won’t get all the way up to reference that often so wanted to know if there was still an audible difference lower down. Ah decisions decisions.

What amplifier do you have? Apologies if I've missed it.

What amplifier do you have? Apologies if I've missed it.
Currently have an older Yamaha as it’s all in my living room for now until the cinema is built. Plan is to upgrade to a denon or an Arcam. Can’t decide which yet. Then add on an Emotiva or iotavx amp. I know I’d need quite a bit of juice to run the Arendals.

Currently have an older Yamaha as it’s all in my living room for now until the cinema is built. Plan is to upgrade to a denon or an Arcam. Can’t decide which yet. Then add on an Emotiva or iotavx amp. I know I’d need quite a bit of juice to run the Arendals.
I would want to see what new the next Denon models have if they introduce new models at summer/end of summer. There is strong rumours that D&M would get optional Dirac Live for extra cost, however this might come for 2023 models earliest. If you want "premium" brand you should also consider Anthem MRX1140. The MRX740 doesn´t have separate dual sub eq only the flagship. For Arcam unit the optional Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) might be required also.

I would want to see what new the next Denon models have if they introduce new models at summer/end of summer. There is strong rumours that D&M would get optional Dirac Live for extra cost, however this might come for 2023 models earliest. If you want "premium" brand you should also consider Anthem MRX1140. The MRX740 doesn´t have separate dual sub eq only the flagship. For Arcam unit the optional Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) might be required also.
Oh interesting about denon and Dirac. I have also been looking at the anthem too but they are a little more money so may take some saving up to get. Was looking at the 740 though as thought that had dual sub outputs too.

Oh interesting about denon and Dirac. I have also been looking at the anthem too but they are a little more money so may take some saving up to get. Was looking at the 740 though as thought that had dual sub outputs too.

Two Independent sub outputs on MRX 1140, allow ARC Genesis to correct multiple subs individually for frequency response and phase alignment.

If you go with 740 you can`t set the distance (delay) individually for each so they would need to go equidistant from MLP (same as Arcams without DLBC), but does that give you best response in your room then vs. something like one at front left and second sub at rear right further/closer away than the front one?!

You can play with REWs room simulation feature if you have room without odd shapes / openings to see which spots for the woofers would be optimal. Who knows the front corners could work fine too, check it out. In that case 740 would be ok.

Thanks for everyone weighing in on this. I ended up deciding I couldn’t stand the what if of it all and bought a pair of 1723 monitors on here and i must say they are very impressive even compared to my silvers. Next is the avr and amp upgrade to really take advantage of them.

I ordered a pair of silver 300s last night thanks to the excellent comments in this thread, so thank you also. @£799 I feel I got a bit of a bargain.

I have been reading this thread. I am looking at MA Silver 500 7G and Arendale 1723 Towers. I have Klipsch RP-280F / RC 62ii. I use a Denon x7200wa with Monolith 9X,it will move to either and Anthem AVM70 or Arcam AV41 next year. I have been auditioning the Silver 500 7G and the Gold 300 for a few weeks. I would love the Golds, but here in US they are 3X the Silver 500. I found the Silver 500 and Gold to actually to be more similar than different. The Gold ribbon gave the Gold highs more fines, but a tad laid back compared to the more forward Silver 500 where the highs were a little brighter and metallic every so much. The Gold lows seemed to dig deeper, but the Silver lows were very tight. If I had to sum it up the Golds are for someone that prefers music over home theater and the Silver for home theater over music. That is not to say they both can’t do both I just look at those as the quick summary. Now I have been eyeing Arendale as they look like they are built like beasts and have measurements as flat and linear with low distortion like the Silver 500s with tons of headroom. They get fantastic reviews and supposedly can handle music equal to home theater. The MTM center is a bit of a Hangul for me, but I sit in the sweet spot. Curious for those that have heard both or switched from one to the other of their opinions?

Thanks in advance

I have still got silvers in my living room and have bought the 1723 monitors (L&R at the moment need to buy centre next) for my dedicated cinema room when I get round to building it. I’ve run them once or twice in my living room to see the difference and even there the Arendals are noticeably better. Admittedly I have silver bookshelf speakers and centre as don’t have room for towers either side of my telly.
I previously had the gold 100s as well and sold them on and kept the silvers and couldn’t hear any real noticeable difference for the large increase in cost.
I know the MTM centre is a bit of an annoyance for people but I’ve heard cause of the way it’s designed it performs well for an MTM obviously if possible 3 monitors upright would be the most preferable.
Not sure what the difference in cost between gold, silvers and 1723s are in America but here they are even noticeable cheaper than the golds but more than silvers.
In my opinion the Arendals are a no brainier over the golds given performance and price. And the Arendals are designed as home cinema speakers.

Thanks. Here in US a pair of Monitor Silver 500 are almost the same price as the Arendale 1723 Towers. The Gold 200 are almost 2X the price of the Silver 500 and the Gold 300 are about 3X. The Silver 500, to me, was not worth it as the bass in the Silver 500 was more impactful. The Gold ribbon is was sets it apart from the Silvers and then the beefier cabinet helps with bottom end. I was really trying to get a ribbon based front stage as I have heard the Gold and Martin Logan 60XTi and the ribbon in each sounds so amazing. I was looking at Ascend Acoustics here in US as they use a RAAL ribbon and it is supposed to,be amount the best, but with 5.25 drivers I don’t see them delivering impactful bass no matter how good or long excursion they are. So my front runner continues to be the Arendale, but something about the MAs keep calling me. Probably some of it is the beautiful cabinets/design on both the Silver (in Walnut) and Gold (Dark Walnut). The main appeal of the Holds is I do about 20% music with hi-res multichannel and the ribbon just edges out the dome with so much finesse.

I won’t deny that the golds do look really nice. While the Arendals aren’t as fancy looking they still have a nice look and finish to them. I think same money for silvers and Arendals then the 1723 towers will out perform the 500s.
Looking back on what I remember being told on this thread someone who has the silver 350 thought the arendal centre sounded better.
Although not ideal if no one near you has any you can hear, you can buy and return them if you don’t like them for a restocking fee.

I finally ordered 1723 Towers/center today. I was wavering back and forth as I liked the Silver 500. I had auditioned, just thought they were a tad harsh, but that was likely because I was A/Bing with Hold 300 and that amazing ribbon tweeter. I get 60 days, so if the Arendal don’t knock my socks off then I may try the Silvers. Going to be close to 2 weeks since the Towers are coming from EU and I am in the States.

I moved from KEF to arendal.

Buy the 1723S centre speaker. Put it in your current setup. If you’re impressed, go full
Arendal over time. If you’re not. Return it.

I did this.

I now have 13 arendal speakers in the house.

Recently bought Monitor Audio's SIlver 7G range, so I won't be upgrading any time soon, I just wanted to hear what OP's final through were on the 1723 Towers/center.

If only I could have looked into the future, I would have known my last post was a lie...

Attachments

• 20221111_164023.jpg
    20221111_164023.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 120
Thanks, Dodge. I was lucky enough to be able to have building contructed mainly for movies/gaming.

If you were thinking Vicoustic Premium Cinema Round, you would be correct.

I do like them, but the way they look is very light-dependent. I would say that image has certainly smoothed the fabric colour out a little, which has improved the way they look.

If you were thinking Vicoustic Premium Cinema Round, you would be correct.

I do like them, but the way they look is very light-dependent. I would say that image has certainly smoothed the fabric colour out a little, which has improved the way they look.
Yep, that’s what I was thinking they were :smashin:

Are they reflective in some way or the colour can look kind of two tone or something like that ?

I wouldn't say they at reflective at all. The colour tone changes depending on what angle you view them from. This becomes less apparent when there's no natural light shining on them

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom