Add MA silver 300 or upgrade all to Arendal 1723s

Tu12tle

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a monitor audio silver 5.1.2 setup with bookshelfs and centre for LCR an Arendal sub 2 and MA radius for heights. I am in the process of sorting out a proper cinema room so will be able to go to 7.x.4.

So the question is do I just buy a pair of silver 300s(and eventually a 3rd if can be sourced as a single) and move the bookshelves to rears duty.
LCR will be begging an AT screen.

Or go down the route of upgrading them all to Arendal 1723s 7.x.4?
The price difference is obviously noticeable but if it’s worth it then I don’t mind paying it.

Really appreciate any input on this.

There is not many who has heard both systems as i`m faulty of spending too much time and not many things go un-noticed from me. 😳 Silvers are clearly very enjoyable especially in a music oriented % lounge cinema system and i would rather put the MA Golds against the 1723 range more than Silvers which are more affordable.

1723 and 1723 S are THX Ultra rated and i would guess the MAs would be "harsher" sounding at the reference SPL levels in cinema room where as Arendals wouldn`t. Also i believe they (1723) will have edge in dynamics and with wider soundstage as many has found them to be step up in these specific areas of many competitors. From many years ago few comments were made members liking Arendals more for movies over MA Gold and even Platinums, but for music it was opposite what i remember.

@StefanBFC found the 1723 S Centre to be amazing as he had chance to listen Arendal system. He has the Silver C350 with Silver 300s + Arendal sub which is not that much smaller over 1723 S Centre and is highly praised by ton of owners, but i think he said the 1723 S C was still better as it perhaps should for the higher price and being more aimed for dedicated cinema use.

@John24ssj upgraded from budget Q Acoustics 3050i system. I think he made the point that the Arendals really came alive if you listen loud so for a proper cinema room they are killer. Oh and he mentioned the Centre again being the star of the system. Keep in mind that channel pushes out something around 70% of movie soundtrack.

There is not many who has heard both systems as i`m faulty of spending too much time and not many things go un-noticed from me. 😳 Silvers are clearly very enjoyable especially in a music oriented % lounge cinema system and i would rather put the MA Golds against the 1723 range more than Silvers which are more affordable.

1723 and 1723 S are THX Ultra rated and i would guess the MAs would be "harsher" sounding at the reference SPL levels in cinema room where as Arendals wouldn`t. Also i believe they (1723) will have edge in dynamics and with wider soundstage as many has found them to be step up in these specific areas of many competitors. From many years ago few comments were made members liking Arendals more for movies over MA Gold and even Platinums, but for music it was opposite what i remember.

@StefanBFC found the 1723 S Centre to be amazing as he had chance to listen Arendal system. He has the Silver C350 with Silver 300s + Arendal sub which is not that much smaller over 1723 S Centre and is highly praised by ton of owners, but i think he said the 1723 S C was still better as it perhaps should for the higher price and being more aimed for dedicated cinema use.

@John24ssj upgraded from budget Q Acoustics 3050i system. I think he made the point that the Arendals really came alive if you listen loud so for a proper cinema room they are killer. Oh and he mentioned the Centre again being the star of the system. Keep in mind that channel pushes out something around 70% of movie soundtrack.
Thanks for the in depth reply Gasp. And tagging some others in who have made the switch. I should have mentioned that yes it will be for only movies. I realise there is a reasonable price difference and I have actually bought a pair of gold bookshelf speakers to replace my silvers in the past but ended up keeping the silvers as couldn’t hear a difference so didn’t see the justifiable cost.

I wondered whether going silver 300s matching LCR would be comparable to 3 of the 1723s monitors. As I understand it the 300s are 3 way and the 1723s are 2 way design.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on going from a c350 to Arendal @StefanBFC if you wouldn’t mind.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on going from a c350 to Arendal @StefanBFC if you wouldn’t mind.
Don't quote me, but I think he did it the other way. Eg he currently has a C350 & 300 combo.....

As do I. My room's not a dedicated cinema room - More dual purpose living room. I run a 5.2.4 setup (Silver FX's as rears), with 4x Dali C1's (atmos heights) & 2x SVS SB2000 Pro's....

All I can say is (for me), they absolutely rock. I love the overall sounstage and there's certainly enough immersion for me when watching a movie. For reference , my room is 3m x 4.57m and my LCR - and subs - are on the short wall.

Don't quote me, but I think he did it the other way. Eg he currently has a C350 & 300 combo.....

As do I. My room's not a dedicated cinema room - More dual purpose living room. I run a 5.2.4 setup (Silver FX's as rears), with 4x Dali C1's (atmos heights) & 2x SVS SB2000 Pro's....

All I can say is (for me), they absolutely rock. I love the overall sounstage and there's certainly enough immersion for me when watching a movie. For reference , my room is 3m x 4.57m and my LCR - and subs - are on the short wall.
The Dali atmos speakers are also an option for me if I don’t go down the complete change to Arendal route. Good to hear you enjoy them too.

My dedicated room will be smaller than your living room too after sound proofing so I’m thinking I don’t need the biggest speakers to get up to reference in my smaller room.

The MA Silvers are likely to be easier to drive due to higher sensivity and impedance so they might sound a bit more lively if you’re on AVR power at normal sub -10dB MV levels. By all accounts the Arendals seem to excel when blasted loudly over -10dB with external amplification.

Yeah correct amplification would be the next thing once I know what speakers I’d be driving. Planning to go with an external amp regardless of going avr or preamp.

Thanks for the in depth reply Gasp. And tagging some others in who have made the switch. I should have mentioned that yes it will be for only movies. I realise there is a reasonable price difference and I have actually bought a pair of gold bookshelf speakers to replace my silvers in the past but ended up keeping the silvers as couldn’t hear a difference so didn’t see the justifiable cost.

I wondered whether going silver 300s matching LCR would be comparable to 3 of the 1723s monitors. As I understand it the 300s are 3 way and the 1723s are 2 way design.

Evening.

Yes I own the 350c and 300's. I've listened to my mates Arendal's.

The 300's and 350 are great, I've had then a good number of years now and never felt wanting, like Gasps mentions, for music, I really like them.

The Arendal's though, when I heard them, they blew me away, it was the the centre speaker, Mad Max, the sheer detail and overall sound stage of the centre was just amazing. It was played at reference level, and they did sound better a higher volumes. I was highly impressed with the centre. But they are twice the price.

For music, there was nothing in it, but they were played through a Denon/Emotiva combo, mine are an Arcam/Emotiva combo and the Arcam is much better for music.

Last edited:
Very useful info.

Just to confirm, which Arendal models were these? 1723S Centre and Monitors?

Evening.

The 300's and 350 are great, I've had then a good number of years now and never felt wanting, like Gasps mentions, for music, I really like them.

The Arendal's though, when I heard them, they blew me away, it was the the centre speaker that blew me away, Mad Max, the sheet detail and overall sound stage of the centre was just amazing. It was played at reference level, and they did sound better a higher volumes. I was highly impressed with the centre. But they are twice the price.

For music, there was nothing in it, but they were played through a Denon/Emotiva combo, mine are an Arcam/Emotiva combo and the Arcam is much better for music.
Ah see this is what I was thinking. Given I am going to replace the front 3 and buy atmos speakers anyway I figured it best to go with the best I can get. Last thing I want to do is buy the 300s and wish I had gotten the arendals.
It’s good to hear that you aren’t left wanting at all from yours though.
Was it the clarity you mainly found that was better from the arendals?
Thanks for giving me your input.

Very useful info.

Just to confirm, which Arendal models were these? 1723S Centre and Monitors?

I can't actually remember, @Gaz RSVR

I'm sure it was the 1723 s towers.

Ah see this is what I was thinking. Given I am going to replace the front 3 and buy atmos speakers anyway I figured it best to go with the best I can get. Last thing I want to do is buy the 300s and wish I had gotten the arendals.
It’s good to hear that you aren’t left wanting at all from yours though.
Was it the clarity you mainly found that was better from the arendals?
Thanks for giving me your input.

Honestly it was the sheer prescence of them, they were loud, aggressive, dynamic, that centre channel for me stood out a mile. It was a 5.2.4 Atmos set-up.

The 300's though, for the money are extremely good, you'd pick up a pair of 6g's now for around £700. Mental price really for what you get. If you went the 300's route you could add a second sub.

Agreed, there are some amazing bargains for the last few Silver 300 6G speakers. I’ve gone through quite a few combos over the years and I think the combo of the 300s and the C350 are superb. Three Kef LS50s were also superb for movies as LCR speakers, but if anything I think I prefer these MAs.

The Dali atmos speakers are also an option for me if I don’t go down the complete change to Arendal route. Good to hear you enjoy them too.

My dedicated room will be smaller than your living room too after sound proofing so I’m thinking I don’t need the biggest speakers to get up to reference in my smaller room.

You don't have to get dedicated trapezoid Atmos speakers you could use or re-use some bookshelf as wall height speakers.

Ie anything from kef egg, minx,.focal dome,.q acoustic 3010-3020i, etc

Atmos speakers are pretty expensive as they're a nice product or alteco are more expensive than spektor

Honestly it was the sheer prescence of them, they were loud, aggressive, dynamic, that centre channel for me stood out a mile. It was a 5.2.4 Atmos set-up.

The 300's though, for the money are extremely good, you'd pick up a pair of 6g's now for around £700. Mental price really for what you get. If you went the 300's route you could add a second sub.
I wonder if the matching LCR added at all to the presence. Just out of curiosity are both your rooms treated too? I spose it depends how close to reference I run them too.
The 300s are such good value at the moment too I know. That’s why I’m thinking of picking up 2 pairs to have matching front 3 then maybe have to sell the spare lol
I’m thinking hover boss instead of second sub to start with. 😬

Make sure able to have home demo ma speakers can be bright

Agreed, there are some amazing bargains for the last few Silver 300 6G speakers. I’ve gone through quite a few combos over the years and I think the combo of the 300s and the C350 are superb. Three Kef LS50s were also superb for movies as LCR speakers, but if anything I think I prefer these MAs.
Is that what you’re running now for your setup? How did you find 3 matching speakers vs towers and centre?

You don't have to get dedicated trapezoid Atmos speakers you could use or re-use some bookshelf as wall height speakers.

Ie anything from kef egg, minx,.focal dome,.q acoustic 3010-3020i, etc

Atmos speakers are pretty expensive as they're a nice product or alteco are more expensive than spektor
Make sure able to have home demo ma speakers can be bright
Oh I know I have some monitor audio radius running as atmos at the moment. I’m not so concerned by the shape as realise they are more expensive cause they sell less but want to make sure I can get them mounted to the ceiling securely and safely lol

I currently have MA silvers and don’t find them too bright so shouldn’t be an issue getting the bigger ones. Thanks though demo is important and would be so handy if I could demo both without paying a ton in restocking if I send one back.

Is that what you’re running now for your setup? How did you find 3 matching speakers vs towers and centre?
Yep the 300s now as L/R with the C350 as centre, which I think is my favourite of all the centres I’ve had - it’s epic. The LS50s were also excellent as a front soundstage and obviously integrated perfectly together, I just wanted a bit more out of the centre and the 350 certainly provided it. I’ve got MA Silver FX as rear speakers, with satellite MA Mass speakers for the ceiling Atmos and rear surrounds in a 7.1.2 setup.

Yep the 300s now as L/R with the C350 as centre, which I think is my favourite of all the centres I’ve had - it’s epic. The LS50s were also excellent as a front soundstage and obviously integrated perfectly together, I just wanted a bit more out of the centre and the 350 certainly provided it. I’ve got MA Silver FX as rear speakers, with satellite MA Mass speakers for the ceiling Atmos and rear surrounds in a 7.1.2 setup.
I like the idea of that beefy centre. I wish they sold some of the other speakers as individuals too. I’m very conscious of how important the centre channel is too.
If the 350 is that good I’m wondering how much I would gain having 3 300s for the extra cost and hassle of selling the spare.

I would recommend big center too. I own these two and vastly superior to mtm designz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-200522~2.png
    Screenshot_20220517-200522~2.png
    546.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20220517-200544~2.png
    Screenshot_20220517-200544~2.png
    314.3 KB · Views: 87
I like the idea of that beefy centre. I wish they sold some of the other speakers as individuals too. I’m very conscious of how important the centre channel is too.
If the 350 is that good I’m wondering how much I would gain having 3 300s for the extra cost and hassle of selling the spare.
I’d just get the C350, it’s an epic centre in my opinion and also is a three way design with the tweeter higher than most centres, with an extra mid-range cone.

I wonder if the matching LCR added at all to the presence. Just out of curiosity are both your rooms treated too? I spose it depends how close to reference I run them too.
The 300s are such good value at the moment too I know. That’s why I’m thinking of picking up 2 pairs to have matching front 3 then maybe have to sell the spare lol
I’m thinking hover boss instead of second sub to start with. 😬

No, both rooms are not treated at all.

Your probably at a point if value here too, I'm not sure the price of the Arendal's at the moment, there was a price increase not long back, your probably in the region of 3500+. The silvers you'd probably pick up in the region for £1100. Are they 2k+ better, probably not.

Bearing in mind, they are 4ohm, if your listening at reference levels, you'd need to feed them good power.

The Arendal's build quality is second to none. They are very big though, and slightly lean backwards

The silvers build quality is excellent, and looks really good and modern, plus a smaller footprint.

I’d just get the C350, it’s an epic centre in my opinion and also is a three way design with the tweeter higher than most centres, with an extra mid-range cone.
I may start looking at upgrading my 150 to a 350 first and see how I like that then if you think it still sounds that good with your 300s.

No, both rooms are not treated at all.

Your probably at a point if value here too, I'm not sure the price of the Arendal's at the moment, there was a price increase not long back, your probably in the region of 3500+. The silvers you'd probably pick up in the region for £1100. Are they 2k+ better, probably not.

Bearing in mind, they are 4ohm, if your listening at reference levels, you'd need to feed them good power.

The Arendal's build quality is second to none. They are very big though, and slightly lean backwards

The silvers build quality is excellent, and looks really good and modern, plus a smaller footprint.
Yeah the Arendals have gone up in price but don’t mind sourcing some second hand. I think the silvers are a great deal at the moment though and that’s what has me thinking. I think everyone wants value for their money and to see or hear a noticeable difference and unfortunately my budget isn’t infinite so if I splurge on the speakers somewhere else in the room will take the hit.
And how often im really going to get the system up to reference without my wife shouting at me is another thing lol so without going that high will I ever really hear a difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom