Add hard drive with existing data to new pc

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by doofus3000, Oct 29, 2017.

1. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll be getting a new motherboard, cpu and ram this week, and I'll be using one of my SSD drives to do a clean install of windows, so effectively it'll be a new PC. I also have another
    SSD for my Steam library, and a 1TB HDD for other stuff.

Is it possible to add the Steam SSD and the HDD to the new PC without having to reformat them, so all the existing data on them will be accessible?

If so how is it done?

Cheers

2. MooCow

MooCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    So Steam will pick up the games on another disk if they are already installed. Should come up with "Discovering existing files for <game name here> " when you launch and choose to install them point it at the steam library on the disk.
    Disk of other stuff will just be picked up as a new drive letter, no need to format.

3. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,473
    Yes, it's all good. When you're installing the OS, best practice is to only plug in the target OS drive. Once this is done, hook up the HDD and SSD and they should appear in Windows. Change their drive letters and labels to what you want.

For your Steam library, I've always followed these instructions post-OS install:

1) Navigate to your Steam folder on the SSD.
    2) Delete all of the files and folders in there except the SteamApps and Userdata folders and Steam.exe.
    3) Double-click Steam.exe, and log in to your account.

You also need to worry about your save games and configs. Make sure you have your My Documents / My Games backed up somewhere beforehand, and restore it to the right place before you start playing any games.

4. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    So many times i have forgotten about this and lost a good amount of game saves , thus making me start a game all over again :facepalm: