Add extra phone socket

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by WeegyAVLover, Feb 23, 2013.

1. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Hi All,

Was not sure which was the best forum for this so plumped for General Chat as I always get help here....

So I have a single phone socket in hallway. I have just moved all my AV equipment into a cupboard in the hall on the opposite side from the socket.

I want to have my Router in the cupboard, which will then connect to a 24-port switch and distribute internet connections and networking to all my other devices.

However I need the phone socket in the cupboard to achieve this.

How easy is it to create a new socket phone point in the cupboard...

What do I need?

Thanks
    Colin

2. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,767
    Is it not easier to run the router lead out and into the phone socket in the hallway?

Depending on the socket, it might be possible to crone an extension off of the main socket, or just use a joining box and run off from that.

Must add that when I did a joining box it was just a connector block :D

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,834
    It is pretty easy.

Basically you take off the cover of the waster sockect in the hall. You strip off a bit of the outer off the new cable (don't need to for the individual cores) and you use an insertion tool (about £1 if you don't get one in the extension kit) to push the cores onto the connectors simply matching up the colours.

At the other end you do the same pushing the cores into the connectors matching the colour to terminal number from your master socket.

The hardest part is running the cable and making it neat.

If you have matched the colours and terminal numbers and it isn't working properly, it is probably because you haven't pushed down on the insertion tool hard enough. Basically, the connector has teeth which bite through the insulation of the cores to make contact. Sometimes you have to push down hard to make the connection - especially where there are already wires in the connectors (the master socket in your case).

Cheers,

Nigel

4. njdbaxter

njdbaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    phone socket in hall way is master socket. If you have BT infinity the broadband modem and hub needs to connect to the master socket.

i live in a 3 storey town house with the living room etc on the 2nd floor and wanted the BT infinity connected to the phone socket in the livingroom. BT guy had to disconnect the master socket downstairs and put on a cover faceplate, then made the socket upstairs the master one. If i wanted to keep the phone connection on ground floor live I would of needed to connect BT Infinity to it

get someone in to do the work for you if you dont know what u are doing

5. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Phone socket in hall is the main and only box in the house - as far as I am aware.

However it is SKY broadband & phone line we have (no TV package).

If I am honest I dont really have a clue what I am not going to learn by getting someone else to do it..

I will muddle through. the connecting tool - is that a Krone tool like you use for network cables?

6. sophies hero

sophies hero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    g

Where do you live weegie?

7. garts76

garts76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
  8. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Weegie is the local name for a Glaswegian... So Glasgow - why do you ask? :)

I suppose this is an option but I plan on ripping the carpet up and sanding the floor at some point so not really what I want to do.

I was hoping it would be a simple job and something I could do with cat6 cabling as I have loads of that on a reel. I will check out some videos on YouTube and see what they come up with

9. sophies hero

sophies hero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    If you were local id have popped round and done one for you but its a bit of a drive from coventry ;-) cat6 is fine its much better than any cheap extension u will buy and krone is the best connection so your flying!

10. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,854
    Thanks dude... offer is duly noted and much appreciated! :thumbsup:

11. sophies hero

sophies hero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    No problem

12. MartinMiller

MartinMiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    If you are really struggling give me a shout, I live in Hamilton so not too far away and I am a spark lol

Martin

13. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,716
  14. jenam93

jenam93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I just moved the master socket in my house from the dining room to a cupboard for the same reasons.

In my case I traced the cable to the original dining room socket back to a really old GPO box in the living room. This GPO box was fed by the outside wire coming in through the porch.

So here's what I did.

Bought some BT spec cable off eBay (making sure it was proper copper core and not copper coated steel which is what a lot seems to be!)

Cut the outside wire in the porch and mounted the old GPO box in the porch. Rather than used the GPO boxes connections (they seemed a bit corroded), I joined the external wire to the eBay wire using jelly connectors and put this connection inside the GPO box so it was protected.

Then ran the new cable to the cupboard and hooked up the master socket to the new cable. My master is an old school thing and I only needed a screwdriver for the connection, no punch down/krone tool required!

As we only used cordless phones in the house, the main phone unit can also be in the cupboard without a phone and we will just have the phone and charging stations wherever we need them.

As we are refurbing it was easy to run the new cable in the ceiling joists so it did not take long at all. You will probably spend more time making your cable run look neat and tidy than anything else!