1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Squid Doctor, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Squid Doctor

Squid Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I have a modest hi fi (CA640 A&C and B&W602's) in a small room (3m x 2.7m (opening onto a kitchen.)) I was wondering if I should add a sub to my system. I quite like bass heavy music such as reggae and dub. When I listen to my system I am generally satisfied, but sometimes wish I had a bit more low bass.Do you think it'd be a good idea to add a sub to this system given the small size of my listening room? Is it even possible to add a sub to my amp?

I was thinking about a b&w asw600.

What do you guys think?

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Depends on what you want. A few options come to mind:
    - Spend the dosh on a better quality front end and you'll improve the actual quality of the bass you're getting (remember garbage in garbage out?)
    - Spend the dosh on a better pair of speakers and you'll get better music across the whole frequency range, after all the bass add from a sub is usually one octave, are you happy to forget about the rest of the music range?
    - Spend the dosh on a sub and you can have endless hours of fun playing with settings to make it sound acceptable and coherant with the rest of your system. Can sound impressive and looks good to your mates, but when it comes down to it, don't you want it to sound good?

FYI I used to have a fairly good REL sub and in the end ditched it as I felt it's benefits were outweighed by the problems of integrating with the rest of my system. Used to annoy me too much. I'm much happier without and have spent the dosh on an improved front end.

3. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think adding a sub to your size room will cause more problems, before I changed to floorstanders I used to run a sub but my room was around 3.5m X 4m, I had to stick it in a corner and found that more often then not I would listen to music with it off, Of course when head nodding to D & B it was on max, not high quality but fun. It was only a celestion sub, but I often found it would thump and be a little slow. Oh yeah and at low volume listening (night time) the sub would decide that it wasn't getting a strong enough signal and go into stand-by anyway.

Having said that rel do a baby sub, the quake which is tiny but works well with hifi. My mate runs his with kef q1's and they gel reasonably well. His room is much bigger though.

As for connecting the sub, normally there are two ways, if your amp has a set of pre-outs on the back you can use a phono lead. Alternatively you run both L + R speaker cables from amp to sub and then sub to speakers.

4. Squid Doctor

Squid Doctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks guys. Guess I will pass on the sub. I had a suspicion my room would be too small. I'll spend the money on cds instead :)