Add a Sub to a Simple Two Channel RCA Stereo Out

Right now I currently listen to music via a pair of bookshelf speakers that go out from my USB interface. I have decided that I want to add this subwoofer to the system and I am curious:
1) if this is possible
2) what is this best way to connect it and optimize it for music listening (casual not studio or professional)

I am currently using this subwoofer in my home video setup with the subwoofer out jack of an amplifier but I want to take just the sub with me when I go back to college. Thanks!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
This is actually a bit tricky with your sub, as you need to sum or create a mono signal from the stereo output of your sound card. Do this incorrectly and you will only get the mono signal to your speakers.

Your sub can take a high level stereo speaker input, so there's an option to use that, but you may need to crank up the volume level on the sound card and reduce it on the speakers to balance out the levels.

What you would need to do is get a pair of Y split phono (RCA) cables and wire one of the outputs of each to your stereo speakers - probably as you have them connected now. The 2nd output you would wire to the speaker inputs on the sub by snipping off the phono (RCA) plugs and stripping back the cable insulation to reveal the inner core which you will wire to the red connector and the outer shield that you will wire to the black connector. Do this for both channels.

This splits the signal to your speakers and sub and then the sub will combine the left and right channel to create the mono feed it needs to drive the internal amplifier and speaker.

Clear as mud??

This is actually a bit tricky with your sub, as you need to sum or create a mono signal from the stereo output of your sound card. Do this incorrectly and you will only get the mono signal to your speakers.

Your sub can take a high level stereo speaker input, so there's an option to use that, but you may need to crank up the volume level on the sound card and reduce it on the speakers to balance out the levels.

What you would need to do is get a pair of Y split phono (RCA) cables and wire one of the outputs of each to your stereo speakers - probably as you have them connected now. The 2nd output you would wire to the speaker inputs on the sub by snipping off the phono (RCA) plugs and stripping back the cable insulation to reveal the inner core which you will wire to the red connector and the outer shield that you will wire to the black connector. Do this for both channels.

This splits the signal to your speakers and sub and then the sub will combine the left and right channel to create the mono feed it needs to drive the internal amplifier and speaker.

Clear as mud
This is exactly what I was looking for - Thanks!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom