Add a DAC or new CD Player

Reaction score
I have an elderly but nice Cambridge Audio CD5 feeding a Marantz 66 KI amp and Kef 104/2 speakers.

Im thinking I should be upgrading the system capability to accommodate higher bitrate digital and and considering either

1/ retaining the CD5 and adding a DAC
2/ Ditching the CD5 for a Marantz CD6005 which has a modern DAC internal.

Im intrigued to see how the CD5 would sound as a transport thru a modern DAC, but loathe to waste cash if its going to be outperformed by more modern gear? Should I go for a new CD player, I must admit a USB facility would be useful too....

Has anyone done similar? How did you get on and any recommendations welcomed.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

I think it may be worth getting a DAC in on loan to hear if it makes a difference.

You may find that a new DAC or CD sound a little brighter, not necessarily better (depends on budget) to my ears the older CD players where softer sounding. I think to try and make them a little closer to vinyl.

If you do add a DAC you are opening up more options in the future as it can help with streaming if you ever decide to go down that route. Personally I got annoyed with streaming and very happy with CD into DAC but others love the flexibility. Something like the Rega DAC or M-DAC might work very well and you have filter options on them to adjust the sound to suit.

I would think there are dealers that carry Marantz and Rega that could give you a loan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom