1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adcom GDV-850

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by salizar, Jan 29, 2004.

1. salizar

salizar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for some feedback on the Adcom GDV-850. If any one out there has had a chance to spend some time with this unit, I'd sure like to hear what you have to say about it.

Cheers,
    Salizar

2. salizar

salizar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shameless bump....

3. salizar

salizar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just got back from doing some auditioning of DVD players and I think I have made up my mind. Let me start off the goals of my purchase decision as I think that does effect the overall decision.

For sometime now I have been wanting to get back into the Hi-Fi audio sound I was accustomed to hearing from my now dearly departed 2 channel audio system; Meitner AMP, Spacecase Pre-amp, B&W Matrix Speakers and top of the line Arcam CD player, but I wasn't sure if I needed to replace my existing home theater system or build a completely seperate system. The extra system represented more space than I wanted to devote and two years ago a high enough end home theater system was just too much money, but maybe things have changed.

The first choice in the process in my mind was dealing with what used to be the weakest link of any home theater - the source. Let's face it, two years ago DVD players just did not reproduce music well at all - even on the more exepensive units - especially when compared to similarily priced CD players. But in todays world of universal players, the industry was starting to pay more attention to the audio portion of the new DVD players - or at least this is what we are being led to beleive, but is it true?

Well to this end, I set out to listen to a host of universal/audio focused DVD players. Here are the units I listened to:

- Marantz DV8400 & DV6400
    - Denon DVD-2900 & DVD-2200
    - Adcom GV-850
    - Arcam FMj DV27A
    - NAD T562

Now let me state - I never intended on spending more than about $1,500.00 (CDN) on a player but I wanted to listen to a wide price range to ensure I understood how far the industry had (or hadn't) come.

Make no doubt about, after listening to all of these players it was clear that huge gains had been made on the audio end of things with todays universal players. Most of these players - with the exception of the NADs and the lower end Marantz were almost as good as my older Arcam CD player.

Of these units, the stand outs where really the Adcom GV-850 and the Arcam FMJ players. The NAD players and the Denon 2200 just couldn't keep up with the compitition while the Denon 2900 and Marantz DV8400 didn't represent significant audio improvement for their (in my mind) overly high price point.

The Arcam FMJ player, while expensive sounds amazing. Here is a DVD player that truely offers top quality audio playback that can easily compete with some of the best dedicated CD players. If you have $4,000.00 to spend on a unit, you simply must audition this player.

Surprsingly, the Adcom DV-850 at just $1,500.00 being the middle player in price range off all the units I listened to finished in second place for straight audio CD playback. While the Denon 2200 and 2900 both feature SACD playback, they simply didn't sound as good as the Adcom DV-850 with CD recordings.

From a video perspective very little seperated all of these players, only the Arcam FMJ had a notably improved picture over the compitition - but in truth the margin was small - something I expected with players in this price range.

So finally, in my mind at least, if you don't want to spend $4,000.00 on the Arcam FMJ unit and you can live with-out SACD (not an issue for me) the Adcom DV-850 featureing DVD-A and HDCD playback represents true value for the money when compared to the compitition for those looking for a single player for both DVD and CD reproduction.