Adastra A5X60 Multiroom 100v setup and speaker selection Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jiffk, Sep 7, 2012.

1. jiffk

jiffk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just got an Adastra A5X60 for multi room audio.

It has a choice of 100v output or low impedance and i dont know what speakers to get to best use it.

From what i understand 100v basically daisy chain which would make the installation easier but needs specific speakers, never seen this before so its all new to me at the moment.

If i run low impedance speakers off it can i run multi speakers off the same terminal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jiffk

jiffk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bump

3. jiffk

jiffk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one any advice on this? am i really going to have to go into richer sounds for help?!

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    100V systems are for professional use, not domestic use. You'll be better off going into a professional AV shop than into Richer Sounds.

To run a 100V system, you'll need 100V speakers, these are not the typical low impedance systems of domestic hifi, as they have built-in step-down transformers that present a high impedance to the high voltage side

A big advantage of a 100V setup is the ability to run a whole collection of speakers like this: [​IMG] whilst not having to care one jot about impedance. You do have to ensure adequate power though.

For more information, including wiring requirements, review this site.

---

That said, your Adastra supports both 100V (top tap) or low impedance (4-6 Ohms - middle tap) speakers. Moreover, it has 5 separate 60W channels, whereas 100V systems usually have less channels but more power, since you can connect an essentially arbitrary number of speakers to the channel. The usual purpose of such a device is to permit mixing.

In any case, you can just use it as a 5 zone amp for low impedance speakers: just run one pair of low impedance speakers per channel for the 5 rooms. I would not recommend running multiple speakers pairs off a single low impedance terminal, but provided you ensure the impedance requirements are met by the combination, you won't damage anything

---

My gut feeling is that you bought a device without really knowing what it did, and that it is probably not the device you need (you're after multiroom audio in a home?). May I suggest going into "Richer Sounds" before purchasing next time round?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  5. jiffk

jiffk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the help and the sarcastic comment at the end

I brought it because it has 5 separate inputs and 5 corresponding outputs as i said before i didnt know what the benefit of 100v was over low imp and if it was worth considering

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    The benefit of a 100V system is that you can run a whole lot of speakers that are a long way away from the amplifier over sensibly dimensioned wire from a single target. This makes the system ideal for PA usage such as in schools, churches or sports events.

Your device is targetted at multiple zone usage with limited numbers of speakers in each zone. It is a highly specialized device for people having just that sort of ususual problem.

7. jiffk

jiffk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what threw me was the amp has 2 phono inputs but only 1 speaker binding post

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,531
    I though you realized it was a 5 channel amp? One that takes 5 inputs (CHA - CHE) and drives 5 speakers, either independently (input CHx drives output CHx), or as 5 zones in mixer mode (all 5 inputs will be mixed together and the result sent to all 5 speakers), selectable by the switch at the rear.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012