Adaptong a cabimet for cooling

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by preacher666, Feb 23, 2013.

1. preacher666

preacher666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    We just bought a sideboard off eBay to put the tv on so the little one can't reach it so easily. It had some rough holes cut out already for running cables but I have my xbox and boxee in one side and they both get very hot if the Xbox is on. I have got a typhoon case fan laying around so thought of wiring it up to the Xbox USB port. My thinking was it would only come on when the Xbox is on. Is this right?

The only other idea I can think is to make a little circuit on veraboard and use a transistor to turn the fan on acting as a switch from the xbox's USB. I think I would have the same problem though or does anyone know if the voltage goes up when you turn the Xbox on?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. supraTTman

supraTTman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    USB delivers 5V DC and I think the Typhoon case fan is 12V DC so your suggested set-up may work albeit with the fan running slower than it would normally do from a 12V feed. I don't know for sure if the Xbox USB switches off the USB port when in standby mode. Many PC's have live (5V) USB ports when the PC is switched off (not unplugged obviously). Just plug a mobile + charger lead to your Xbox USB and check.

3. preacher666

preacher666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know the kinect port has more voltage so I have ordered a cheap extension cable off of eBay so that should provide the right voltage. Might have to wire in an on off switch which would be a pain!

Think that's when I might have to see how many volts are there when it's off. Might be able to use a transistor as a switch if its below 1.5v and make a simple circuit in some veraboard