Adaptive picture question

getaceres

Standard Member
Hello.
A few days back I was watching "El Camino" in Netflix and I found the very first scene was too bright for my liking. It's filmed in a lake inside the desert so it's supposed to be bright with a lot of sunlight and so but also I observed that the sky was kind of grey. I started playing with the settings until I decided to turn on Intelligent Mode. Suddenly the sky was blue. I tried many other settings (playing with Filmmaker Mode and different settings of Local Dimming and Contrast Enhancer) and I got some shades of grey and light blue for the sky but nothing as natural as with Intelligent Mode on. I continued with this setting on for some time during the film and I got used to it but I reverted back to Movie mode even if the colors weren't as well defined because I found general picture level to be too dim in some parts (a dark red leather jacket appeared as black depending of the light in the same scene) while others were too bright (bulb lights in a shop looked way too bright to be natural).

Looking at the description of the Adaptive Picture setting in Intelligent Mode it says that it adjust brightness and contrast based on the ambient light. This can be great in theory as you don't have to manage them when viewing the TV during the day with the windows open, at night with the living room lights on while having dinner or having them off afterwards. However, it doesn't seem to work as it's announced. Setting it on changes the picture completely, not only contrast and brightness but the whole picture and color tones change as well. And then most options, even picture mode are greyed out. I would assume that only brightness and contrast should be as the screen is in control of them, but it doesn't allow to change even the picture preset (Movie, Standard, etc) and given how different the picture looks with it on or off I wonder if changes to this setting are way bigger than it says.

Is anyone here using it for HDR or SRD content regularly? Does anyone have more information about what it does? The only information that I've found is the usual Samsung PR stuff about perfect picture quality for every possible environment and that the first thing to do to get a good picture quality is turn it off.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom