Adapters

ak_47_boy

Standard Member
Hello, can anyone tell me common pins between DVI-I, HDMI, and VGA. Also, can all shields and grounds be connected to a common ground?

I am making a 3 way adapter.

Edit: Also, is their any pins other than ground that can be connected to each other and ran in a single wire?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
A Google or Wiki search will show you that e.g. Google "VGA pinout".

However, I am somewhat concerned about the viability of your project.
VGA uses purely analogue signals , RGB + separate H and V syncs (RGBHV).
HDMI is purely digital and so has no signals common to VGA.
DVI-D is also purely digital.
DVI-I adds a duplication of the VGA's RGBHV signals and so can carry both.
Your "adaptor" sounds like it could need analogue-to-digital conversion, scaling and protocol conversion for it to work.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Chris is dead right.

DVI-I carries both analogue and digital video. VGA is analogue only, HDMI is digital only.

You can therefore convert to and from DVI-I and VGA staying in the analogue domain, or convert to and from DVI-I and HDMI in the digital domain.

(DVI-D is digital only - and is similar to HDMI minus the ability to carry sound - apart from some oddball non-standard graphics-card DVI+Audio implementations)

I don't know if a DVI-I output carries both video signals at the same time - or looks to see which set of pins have a display connected to them - as displays can talk back to sources on all three standards to negotiate refresh rates and resolutions.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom