1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adaptation ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TheBigApple, Aug 11, 2003.

1. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Saw this on the weekend, still thinking about it now.

One of the best screenplays in a long time. Excellent acting, especially Nic Cage doing his trademark multiple personality acting.

At first I thought the ending was kind of a typical Hollywood ending. But the more I thought about it makes me think that this was intentional as Charlie couldn't adapt the ending as the book had no conclusion. Then Donald took over the screenplay, so this is showing what he would write to make the film more conventional.

If this is the case then the ending is genius.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I loved it. Great script, great characters, great acting...and totally NOT what I expected.

Though from the director of Being John Malkovich, I didn't really know what to expect.

3. The Bear

The Bear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah I got that about the ending too. He couldn't figure out a way to end it. I thought it was the screenplay lecturer who told him to put more action on the end, and Donald helped him decide what that was. I could be remembering wrong though.

I though it was a little bit strange when Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper suddenly decided to kill him.

Got to love that car crash when Chris Cooper's character was younger, very effective and well done.

4. shakur96

shakur96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ye that sounds about right. When stuck with the problem of how to end the script he asks his lecturer for advice. The lecturer keeps telling him he needs loads of action for a successful screenplay. And thats what we get at the end of the movie - it's genius.

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Can't help but wonder which bits of the film are real and which bits were made up.

6. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,186
    Hi,

Saw this last night. Towards the end, it became the kinda of movie i did not think it would turn out to be, but maybe that was the ideai.

SPOILER

The crash with donald was similar to what was in the book already, with chris, and what happended to his wife, etc. Was that in the book?.

Reminded me of 'the hours' also with streep, the way the story interweaved.

Now on the dvd it states 'The 3' film (written by donald in Adaptation) is out this year, by donald kaufman. This is not true, as Donald Kauftman does not exisit ?, or does he.

rai

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Remember the conversation near the very beginning of the film when he is explaining about how he doesn't want the film to involve drug dealers and people making significant discoveries about themselves?

"And don't you dare bring in a Deus Ex Machina!" (Cue the alligator).

For those having trouble distinguishing between fantasy and reality :p there is, in real life, no such person as Donald Kaufman, and Charlie Kaufman is on record as saying that the insecurities suffered by the fictional version of himself aren't the same as those he suffers fromin real life. The decision to make a film that is as much about his attempts to adapt "The Orchid Thief" as it is an adaptation of it, is fairly true to life, I think. Beyond that, I wouldn't take things too literally.

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,186
    Hi,

SPOILER

So just to be clear, did the ending really happen, that he and his brother really get chased to the swap, the alligator bit did happen, and the car crash also happened. At one point I thought charlie was just imagining it all, and we would end back in the real world.

The whole ending was so over the top, that it seemed unreal.

Suppose it was ment to show charlie that these things can happen in real life depending on which path you take.

rai