1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adapt RCA cam cable to Firewire?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by blackbird, Jul 24, 2005.

1. blackbird

blackbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just sent for:

A Bullet Cam from http://www.smarthome.com/7574.html which has RCA cable

Web Cam Monitor software from http://www.deskshare.com/wcm.aspx which requires a firewire connection

And a Firewire card from Dell

However I’m wondering now if they will be compatible. Can RCA cable from the cam be adapted to a Firewire connection? Or does that defeat the purpose of firewire.

The cam accessories include: • RCA adapter, Male/male RCA cable, Male/male RCA to 6-pin coupler, RCA/BNC connector

The Web Cam Monitor software is supposed to detect motion and then record it according to settings

Thanks for any help.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search under 'Dazzle' and 'Keene' there are analogue video>dv convertors out there, expect to pay around £150-£200, don;t know much else about them, i.e. can they be left on all the time and be triggered by software activiation... anyway you can ask the sales guys that.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As Roy has suggested, you will need to buy a converter as the bullet cam is analogue and firewire is a digital connection.
    A DV camcorder with AV-in enabled will be able to do the conversion, but many sold in the UK do not have this. Otherwise it is a converter as suggested at £150-£200, another popular make being the Canopus ADVC converters.
    If you just want basic CCTV use then you are probably going to be better off getting a USB webcam at around £20-£30 or an analogue to USB AV card, but then the software you have may not work as you say it requires a firewire input. Therefore a very cheap camcorder may be the best option.

Mark.