1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adam West "Batman" TV series on DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, Feb 19, 2004.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    An online petition has been started to get a release for this series in complete season box sets.

sign here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/BatmanTV/petition.html

Apparently Fox are very cautious about future TV series DVD releases after one they had high hopes for tanked, namely Season 1 of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". Apparently no further seasons will be released.

Poor sales, wouldn't be anything to do with pre-release word of mouth on the 'net revealing that Fox hadn't done their homework and had included cut versions of several episodes in the box set, would it?

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they released boxsets at a decent price they would sell more, id buy The X Files boxsets if they werent so expensive.

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    'The X-Files' box sets are available for a good deal less than their rrp, which in turn are broadly comparable with other TV box sets. Sure, some are less, but many are the same.

If the X-Files box sets sell well enough at the price set by Fox, which they seem to do, why on earth would they reduce said price?

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant if the X Files sold at the same price i can buy Buffy Boxsets which is about £30 to £35 for a whole season instead of double that price then id buy them, perhaps u have a link to a site which sells X Files boxsets for £35 ?

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Apparently fox are going to re-release all the x-files boxsets, in different packaging, for around the £30-£35 mark. When this is going to happen, seems to be anyones guess though.

But going back to Batman, i wouldnt mind a boxset of 'pure' West myself :D

Dean

6. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +348
    on the last htf fox chat the guy from fox said they want to release it but they are being held back by rights issues etc, but i bet they get it all sorted in time for intimidation game's release! ;)

7. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't really think The Mary Tyler Moore show has the wide appeal of Batman (isn't THAT well known outside the US) & so isn't a fair comparison.

8. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/

the re-releases should be out sometime this year at £30ish!:clap:

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes, but that's my point, it's enormously popular in the USA - one of their most cherished sitcoms of all time - and the US DVD release tanked.

Problem was of Fox's own making, as it became widely known before release that many of the episodes were made from syndication prints that had some cuts made to fit in more commercial time. Many fans of the show boycotted the release, quite rightly insisting that Fox should have sourced complete prints.

Now they say they won't release further seasons and that fans of the show can probably wave goodbye to the spin-offs ("Lou Grant", "Rhoda", "Phyllis") on DVD as well.

Can't understand the corporate mentality. They cock it up, the fans get wind of it and boycott the release, hence low sales. Logic would dictate they do the job properly and re-release - perhaps at a reduced price to further perk interest, then they've got the market for releases of further seasons and spin-offs. But no; they get it wrong and the fans don't get their show on DVD. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face...

Just hope this won't be the case with "Batman", as those episodes have been syndicated to death since the late '60s.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What's this game then?

11. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +348
    the exact quote on the batman tv series from peter staddon from fox was "Batman is tied up in legal and licensing rights hell"
    so u never know it may get a region 2 release before the region 1!
    as for "intimidation game" it is the title of the new batman movie thats due out next summer (christian bale, michael caine, liam neeson, morgan freeman, katie holmes, directed by christopher nolan) i bet they sort out the dvds in time to cash in on that ;)
    and there is a new animated series starting around then too and it looks pretty cool
    check out
    http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/batman/script-review.html
    for a review of the new movies script!:smashin:
    and
    http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=102021
    for details of the new animated show and a few sweet pics of it!:D

12. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is there a petition for the Burton Batman: Special Edition? I'd love to have that too