ADA Suite 7.1 (non-HD) Version Help

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by BobbyMac, Feb 12, 2014.

1. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Managed to buy a processor from the classifieds for £150 and plumbed it in last night

Very impressed with the dynamics on 5.1 Movies via Satellite & HTPC (Optical) and Quad Bypass is cool (along with the plaque remote control) on 2.0 PCM via COAX (SB Touch) although I think on Music it can be a bit too bright on certain recordings

But all in all (for movies & bluray music) despite only listening to it for a couple of hours last night it sounds more dynamic than my Anthem MRX, which considering my room is crap and the ADA hasn't been EQ'd yet, is a testament to the processor

However I've got a few questions that I need some help with -:

Can the ADA be controlled like the HD Version via PC with Software?

If so, I assume that the non-HD version can only be accessed from software via the ADA Bus / RS232?
    If so what's the cheapest way to achieve this?

Can the ADA be PEQ'd via REW like it's big brother?

I noticed that when using ULTRA2 processing 5.1 content via Optical the processor had random audio dropouts, is this a bug (I'm only running 5.1, not 7.1) or a fault?

Where can I purchase a DB25 to 8 RCA breakout cable to pass Multichannel Audio via say an Oppo 105D?

If I where to use an Oppo 105D, could I use the HDMI inputs on the Oppo to pass HD Bluray Audio from say a HTPC into the processor via the Oppo's MCH Analogue or would I be limited to using the Oppo only for streaming content?

Finally are Genesis Technologies the UK Dealer and would they support (for a fee) a 2nd hand buyer of old tech if required?

Home

Sorry for all the questions!

2. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Oh one more question :facepalm:

Is there much difference in the SQ of the HD over the standard or is it mainly the convenience of HDMI & Hi-Def Codecs?

3. Turlough

Turlough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I can answer the one about Genesis -no. They were pissed off by an arsehole shooting his mouth off on here and stopped being so helpful to after market users. I think there's a hole in the market to support ADA SH stuff which could be filled by some entrepreneurial type. That or Genesis reveal who their ADA UK dealers are, assuming there are any left who haven't joined the Church of Datasat.

4. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    That's disconcerting (if true) :eek:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Still trying to track down a DB-25 cable (or pin arrangement) that will definetly work, however got a problem with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks on older movies like Blade for example, I only get 2.1 output (despite the Processor showing 3.2.1.0) no matter what Sound Processing Mode I use

I've tried using Solo Mode but no sound comes from the surrounds or centre

Is it an issue with the audio flag on the avi ripped file or is it a the processor fault?

All other multichannel content plays fine from the HTPC & Dreambox via Optical S/PDIF

Any ideas?

6. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Well a week later and things have progressed, 1st thing I should state is the service from Richard @ ADA in the States has been stellar (especially considering I'm a 3rd hand customer), same day replies and a schematic for the MCH analogue cable

He also helpfully answered my other questions (summary below)

ADA bus is required (at a cost) to communicate with the unit but the Software is free (if you purchase the hardware)

Oppo should work as I intended using MCH Analogue (although this will subtract the processing of the Suite)

Analogue Bypass on the Suite is a true bypass

PEQ is NOT available on the Suite (Non-HD)

7. abone

abone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    If anyone needs support with anything ADA give me shout and I will contact Graham :)

8. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Well 4 months on I'm like a pig in clover, Quad Bypass for 2 Channel sounds that good I don't use any other sound mode, only downside is the Processor doesn't have the horsepower to process my 192 KHz tracks in QB mode (will need to see if I can get LMS to downsample those files)

Did toy with buying a 7.1HD secondhand but would basically be spending £2.5k for the convenience of HDMI and losing the true analogue bypass means where I can hear my HD Audio in all it's glory in DSD or HD Audio via my Oppo 105

Tbh I reckon I'd need to be looking at a Trinnov system to get any noticeable sonic gains and that's wallet bursting figures (even 2nd hand)

So for £150 I'd argue that it's the bargain of the century

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  9. Wull

Wull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Sounds good Bobby. Having owned a 7.1HD, the one thing I really miss is Quad Bypass.

10. Eddy Currents

Eddy Currents
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Few Questions........

I have the same unit and have been using it for the past month and love it. Quad Bypass is where it's at.

What DB-25 cable did you wind up getting? I caught a post with the pin out but I would just assume purchase one rather then rolling my own. Is it "Tascam Standard"? Hard to get info on this this thing. I purchased a cable and it flat out didn't work so any help would be appreciated.

Also did you upgrade the firmware? I'm curious what the current version is. Was the process fairly straightforward? I'm at 4.something. I think they are in the 5's somewhere.

Thanks again in advance for any help with this unit.

11. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    I used the following company to make me a bespoke cable, pin arrangement below

Next day audio cables | Custom made audio cables

[​IMG]

I didn't bother with a FW update as I'd need to purchase an ADA Bus unit to do so and it's not worth the extra expense for me

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  12. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Glad to see you got it hooked up and working - well worth that punt you took. Shame there isn't really any UK support for the second hand market, must make it harder for current owners to sell and move up the ADA tree as well.

13. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Indeed, looks like the digital board has went kaput, analogue still works, but the unit is now a glorified volume control for my Oppo 105 :facepalm:

14. Jaunty

Jaunty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Oh dear. Not TOO expensive at least. And a good quality volume pot. So, what next...?

15. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Option 1
    Try and track another one down (or it's bigger brother the Rhapsody)

Option 2
    Make an offer on Shin's 7.1HD on the classifieds (only worry is no or limited dealer help if anything goes wrong, I'll need to introduce a swith box into the system if I want to keep the Oppo 105 in the chain for DSD Streaming and it's not exactly a £150 write off for the HD model)

Option 3
    Hang fire, use my Oppo 105 as my processor and see how Atmos/Auro pans out before deciding on my next processor

Looking to convert my garage into a home theatre / bar so will probably hang off or if I'm lucky pick up a cheap non-hd ADA processor