ADA Cinema Rhapsody Mach-IV (and Mach-IV Balanced)

ripclaw

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that I'd start a dedicated thread on this processor, seeing as it's recently been shipping. People have been raving about the ADA Suite 7.1 HD in this thread.

Hopefully, TLC Broadcast or someone else will do another open day, dedicated to the Cinema Rhapsody Mach-IV, similar to what they did for the Suite 7.1 HD here.

http://www.ada.net/products/images/cinema_reference_mach4.jpg

http://www.ada.net/products/images/cinema_reference_mach4back.jpg

Specs:

• Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio
  • Multi-Channel (192KHz/24 Bit) PCM Audio
  • Full 7.1 EX/ES, THX Ultra 2, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo 6
  • 8 HDMI Inputs with HDMI Equalization Settings per input
  • 2 (Dual) Mirror HDMI Outputs with HDMI Equalization Settings
  • Parametric Multi-Band Equalizer
  • 8 Stereo Analog Audio Inputs
  • 6 Digital Audio Coaxial Inputs
  • 2 TOS-Link Optical Digital Audio Inputs
  • 8 Channel DVD Audio/SACD Input With Bass Filters
  • 8 Composite Video Inputs
  • 8 S-Video Inputs
  • 8 Component Video Inputs
  • Analog And Digital Audio Record Outputs (2nd Zone)
  • 2 Main And 2 Record (2nd Zone) Composite Video Outputs
  • 2 Main Component Video Outputs
  • Rear Panel Ethernet Connection (ADA Net)
  • 2 Programmable Low Voltage Output Triggers
  • ADA MX-900 (Universal Remote Control) Included At No Additional Charge
  • 90-260 Volts AC 50/60Hz 40 Watts
  • 23 lbs 3.5"H x 19"W x 17.5"D

More information can be found at the ADA website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking forward to the Rhapsody IV Balanced - but for me it all depends on how well Trinnov Auto EQ gets implemented.

I sincerely hope that most of the performance of the external Trinnov unit gets ported to the Rhapsody - only then this feature will make a real difference and not only comes as a paper feature. I take it the Rhapsody in its current state and with the application of the parametric EQ sounds very good indeed - a half baked, cut-down Trinnov implementation would do more harm than good to such a splendid platform.

The external Trinnov EQ device is not so much about "one-click fully automatic EQ" but it's real strength lies in is configurability. I hope most of this manual control remains present with the Rhapsody.

I hope for and propose the following features:

- Application of state of the art DSPs to do the correction with ultra high precision (and make it available to input signals all the way up to 24bit/192khz). As many have experienced in the past auto EQ generally does harm to the signal - yes it corrects the frequency response but in return you almost always loose transparency and (micro) dynamics. Little details get lost due to the extensive processing.

Doing all the EQ calculations with very high precision is the key. eg. Anthem ARC in the D2V is probably a good example for that (in my experience much better than Audyssey implemnetations I have witnessed).

Therefor - when DSP ressources are very limited and the EQ processing has to be done with reduced precision/resolution it is almost always better to use parametric EQ instead. I hope Ada will be able to implement as much DSP power as possible to make Trinnov a practical feature.

- A certain extend of manual control over the auto EQ. The full ecternal Trinnov unit allows for customized target curves which vary from flat response. IMHO it is of prime importance to limit the high frequency EQ -> eg. EQ just below 5khz (just like Anthem does it). Frequencies above that are way too directional to get proper measurement data.

I hope the Rhapsody Trinnov implementation will allow to limit EQ frenquency and provide the capability to choose the target curve (eg. a "house curve" for bass response, or make it possible to combine the auto EQ with the parametric EQ!)

- An individually factory calibrated, high quality microphone. Graham and Co use very high quality measurement instruments in order to use the parametric EQ properly. Using a cheap, uncalibrated mic to auto EQ a high quality system almost always does more harm than good. (Anthem with their ARC mic does it right IMO)

- Most importantly it should provide support for multiple subwoofers - individual delay/phase settings for 2-4 subs.

This is quite a wishlist. I hope we can discuss it in detail!

I thought that I'd start a dedicated thread on this processor, seeing as it's recently been shipping. People have been raving about the ADA Suite 7.1 HD in this thread.

Hopefully, TLC Broadcast or someone else will do another open day, dedicated to the Cinema Rhapsody Mach-IV, similar to what they did for the Suite 7.1 HD here.

http://www.ada.net/products/images/cinema_reference_mach4.jpg

http://www.ada.net/products/images/cinema_reference_mach4back.jpg

Specs:

• Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio
  • Multi-Channel (192KHz/24 Bit) PCM Audio
  • Full 7.1 EX/ES, THX Ultra 2, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS Neo 6
  • 8 HDMI Inputs with HDMI Equalization Settings per input
  • 2 (Dual) Mirror HDMI Outputs with HDMI Equalization Settings
  • Parametric Multi-Band Equalizer
  • 8 Stereo Analog Audio Inputs
  • 6 Digital Audio Coaxial Inputs
  • 2 TOS-Link Optical Digital Audio Inputs
  • 8 Channel DVD Audio/SACD Input With Bass Filters
  • 8 Composite Video Inputs
  • 8 S-Video Inputs
  • 8 Component Video Inputs
  • Analog And Digital Audio Record Outputs (2nd Zone)
  • 2 Main And 2 Record (2nd Zone) Composite Video Outputs
  • 2 Main Component Video Outputs
  • Rear Panel Ethernet Connection (ADA Net)
  • 2 Programmable Low Voltage Output Triggers
  • ADA MX-900 (Universal Remote Control) Included At No Additional Charge
  • 90-260 Volts AC 50/60Hz 40 Watts
  • 23 lbs 3.5"H x 19"W x 17.5"D

More information can be found at the ADA website.

whats the difference between this and the ADA HD?

SQ is the same. Connectivity is better with the Rhapsody.

...plus full analogue bypass and the ability to run bass to sub and speakers. This sounds like a basic feature as per Onkyo's 'doublebass' but I believe it is a lot more configurable. I haven't delved too deeply into it though as I can't afford a Rhapsody unfortunately :)

Adam

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clarify a point very quickly - The Cinema Rhapsody Balanced does have noticeably better sound quality than either the Cinema Rhapsody or Suite 7.1.

Whilst all units share the same HDMI boards the CRM4 Balanced mixes in a linear power supply and fully transformerless balanced outputs for better performance.

To understand the model range you should consider that the Cinema Rhapsody Balanced is the best for performance full stop. The choice between Rhapsody (unbalanced version) and Suite 7.1 is more about I/O and the need for analogue bypass or not.

Hello Neil,
how much does the price differ betwen the two Rhapsodies.

Regards........Alan

- Most importantly it should provide support for multiple subwoofers - individual delay/phase settings for 2-4 subs.

Whilst I don't agree with al of your points I do think that you will be pleasantly surprised with how close the standalone unit will come to your ideal.

The built in Trinnov implementation is still a TBD additional feature but one thing that I can categorically state is that it will not have support for multiple subwoofers. The unit has one subwoofer output and so there is physically no support for more.

The standalone is an 8 channel unit so 5.2 in one unit is no problem. With two or three of the standalnoe units then things like bi-amping or tri-amping become possible never mind using multiple subs!

Whilst I don't agree with al of your points I do think that you will be pleasantly surprised with how close the standalone unit will come to your ideal.

The built in Trinnov implementation is still a TBD additional feature but one thing that I can categorically state is that it will not have support for multiple subwoofers. The unit has one subwoofer output and so there is physically no support for more.

The standalone is an 8 channel unit so 5.2 in one unit is no problem. With two or three of the standalnoe units then things like bi-amping or tri-amping become possible never mind using multiple subs!

Thank you, Neil.

The standalone unit is certainly not for me as the last thing I want when I spend ~ 15000 pounds on a preamp like the Rhapsody and an EQ unit is multiple redundant D/A - A/D - D/A steps. This negates the advantage of an exemplary analog stage in a high end preamp.

I don't know why Ada doesn't consider the obvious - build a digital interface loop (just use PCM over HDMI for example) between their preamps and the external Trinnov unit.

The preamp does all the decoding - sends the PCM to the Trinnov unit in its digital form - the Trinnov unit applies its processing remaining in the digital domain - sends back the processed PCM signal to the preamp - the preamp does the final D/A step and outputs the analog, EQed signal.

Win - Win situation. No additional D/A A/D steps are present - The Trinnov unit doesn't need the expensive REDUNDANT analog stage. All is needed is a simple HDMI (or proprietary interface) loop.

Making the external Trinnov unit cheaper to produce, more simple to implement (you stay in the digital domain) and bind it to Ada preamps (because preamps from the competition will not offer this digital loop). Right now the splendid analog section of the Rhapsody is simply redundant when combining it with the external unit. And with all that comes significantly improved performance with all digital processing. WIN - WIN.

I am aware that this revision of the Rhapsody will not provide multiple individual subwoofer outputs (or more freely assignable channels in general). I don't speak about true "discreet" 7.2 or 7.4 - just 7.1 with individually controlled (delay/level) sub channels.

When I have to wait for Mach V or the Cinema Reference unit to get there I am prepared to do so. Multiple sub outs will be common with any new generation preamp from just about any company from now on - especially those dedicated to custom install HT.

Why would you use "two or three" of the standalone units for bi-/tri-amping?? A set of Y-adapters will come somewhat cheaper with the exact same results ;-) (with the exception of an digital crossover before the EQ unit - but even than Y-cables are the way to go...)

Why would you use "two or three" of the standalone units for bi-/tri-amping?? A set of Y-adapters will come somewhat cheaper with the exact same results ;-) (with the exception of an digital crossover before the EQ unit - but even than Y-cables are the way to go...)

I of course meant that the units can serve as electronic crossovers if required...

I of course meant that the units can serve as electronic crossovers if required...

Well this is a great feature indeed. And the first time I heard about it.

Still not for me and my active, tri-amplified Genelec 1037C though.

Any comments about the "digital interface/loop" concept? I much rather would like to see a future Rhapsody with such an interface (upgrade path) than trying to do the complex Trinnov processing internally (with a cut-down version to fit DSP ressources...).

AND Ada would make more money, provide a better solution and for sure better sound quality this way. IMHO.

Well this is a great feature indeed. And the first time I heard about it.

Still not for me and my active, tri-amplified Genelec 1037C though.

Any comments about the "digital interface/loop" concept? I much rather would like to see a future Rhapsody with such an interface (upgrade path) than trying to do the complex Trinnov processing internally (with a cut-down version to fit DSP ressources...).

AND Ada would make more money, provide a better solution and for sure better sound quality this way. IMHO.

Folks:

We are getting ahead of ourselves a little.

That said, we hear you all regarding a direct digital interface and note that desire.

We are also considering additional (and assignable) channel support.

Cheers

Richard

Hello Adam,

as your 7.1HD arrived yet, your new amps will just about be run in to try it out.

Alan

Hello Adam,

as your 7.1HD arrived yet, your new amps will just about be run in to try it out.

Alan

Hi Alan,

No not yet, it is dragging on a bit to be honest but like you say the amps will be run in and having become used to them, I will better appreciate the upgrade. I prefer to change things one thing at a time as otherwise you can't really tell exactly where the benefit/difference is coming from. :)

The unfortunate thing now is that I have started looking at my speakers and wondering about an upgrade :suicide:. It doesn't seem like 5mins since I bought them but they are going to be totally outclassed (at least financially) by items preceding them inn the chain, which generally is the opposite to how you should do things?

PMC would seem to be an obvious choice aesthetically/performance wise but having had my head in the sand with speakers for some years (avid M&K fan...) I don't really know what else there is to consider. I would like a flat/neutral speaker that can shift a lot of air but like floorstanders aesthetically.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I assume this will be just as relevant for MacIV owners :rolleyes:.

Adam

I have recently received my Cinema Rhapsody MACH IV B and have what I hope is a simple question...is there the ability to dim / turn off the siplay while the unit is on...and, to be clear, this is not a significant issue for me as the unit is located in a separate equipment room but, that said, there really is no need for the display to be on as I cannot see it...

TIA.

Hi Joel,

There is a beta firmware that has this option for owners of both Cinema Rhapsody and Suite 7.1 HD. It i just needs us to give some more field feedback before they make it official I guess?

I am afraid i don't know what the current shipping version is as most units pass through Grahams hands before they go on to end customers so we can fettle them with fan mods, firmware upgrades etc.

ADA should be able to help your dealer with the software update.

I have recently received my Cinema Rhapsody MACH IV B and have what I hope is a simple question...is there the ability to dim / turn off the siplay while the unit is on...and, to be clear, this is not a significant issue for me as the unit is located in a separate equipment room but, that said, there really is no need for the display to be on as I cannot see it...

TIA.

Yes you can, apparently there is a timeout setting for turning it off you can set (and activate using the display switch) but I couldn't find a reference in the manual. Hopefully Neil or Graham can elaborate?

Adam

Hi Joel,

There is a beta firmware that has this option for owners of both Cinema Rhapsody and Suite 7.1 HD. It i just needs us to give some more field feedback before they make it official I guess?

I am afraid i don't know what the current shipping version is as most units pass through Grahams hands before they go on to end customers so we can fettle them with fan mods, firmware upgrades etc.

ADA should be able to help your dealer with the software update.

Thank you for the response...

I just noticed Neil, replied already. My comments were based on a discussion I had previously with Graham, so he would seem to be the man to ask.

Adam :)

I just noticed Neil, replied already. My comments were based on a discussion I had previously with Graham, so he would seem to be the man to ask.

Adam :)

Adam:

Appreciate the response noting that I am trying to get my hands in the realted software upgrade and, should I be successful, will report back...

I just wanted to give a heads up that there is some lively discussion over on the US Forums as a number of members finally start to receive their units. For once those in the UK can rest easy knowing that all of the first few sold (going back to March when the very first one off the line was delivered to the UK) crossed the water!

I just wanted to give a heads up that there is some lively discussion over on the US Forums as a number of members finally start to receive their units. For once those in the UK can rest easy knowing that all of the first few sold (going back to March when the very first one off the line was delivered to the UK) crossed the water!

You still drink your beer warm....Ugh.

;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom