1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Actual RMS of STR-DB790?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by antomack, Jan 13, 2004.

1. antomack

antomack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking of buying a STR-DB790, offered one at €380 which to me seems a good deal, selling at €470 in Sony Centre. The thing I want to know is how accurate is the Sony spec of 90w/ch RMS as I have read a number of comments putting it more like 65w/ch RMS.

Another thing is I'm trying to find a speaker package to go with this but my remaining budget would only be about €500 and needless to say I'm not having much luck finding a suitable package at this price. The only one I've seen is the Wharfedale Moviestar 70 at €330 and the 60 at €199 but not sure if these would be suitable to the DB790 in output. Either that or go for Sony SA-VE345 at €380, 545 at €570 or 835 at €720.

Would it be worth the money to stretch for Kef 1005's at €740?

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Home Cinema Choice reviewed the Sony STR-DB790 this month, along with 4 other price competitors from Denon, Onkyo, JVC and Marantz.

The 90w/ch quoted is measured into two channels only. HCC benchtested the Sony at 85W/ch into 2 channels and 65W/ch in surround. It was only beaten by the Marantz at 95W/ch and 85W/ch respectively. The other recievers were way down at under 35W/ch in surround, the JVC giving only 20W/ch IIRC.

The Sony and Denon got recommendations. The Marantz got panned for a fixed 100hz LFE crossover frequency, although it's been high rated elsewhere and HCC gave the SR-5400 a recommendation.