Actors/actresses that you’re not sold on?

Then you'd love A Clockwork Orange lol.
The far future sections of the movie are in that slang tongue.
I had to read parts of gone with the wind (the slaves) and one of the characters in the plague dogs out loud to try and decipher what they were saying as they were written in slang/dialect.

A lot of these actors I just don't understand the love for.
The Rock would be one , I just don't get him at all. I don't like any of the ex wrestlers on films as they usually go well over the top. John Cena is the worst by far with his pantomime faces.
Kevin Hart , a funny guy but as an actor not for me he's poor.

We were lucky in my generation we had action stars like Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme funny actors like Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase , Dan Akroyd.

Mark Whalberg smug , I just dislike him maybe more so since he was drunk on Graham Norton. Really annoying.

Agree with the OP on Matt Smith. I'll add Benedict Cumberpatch to my list. He's one I feel like they are trying to make a superstar and it's not quite working the same as Idris Elba.

I spose all the actors that play the same role like Ryan Gosling. As someone mentioned he really doesn't speak much .

Top 10- no particular order
Samuel L. Jackson
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
George Clooney
Idris Elba
Kevin Bacon
Ewan McGregor
Rami Malek
Kenneth Branagh
Andrew Garfield
You are not joking??

I mean Branagh is an acquired taste and if you don't do Shakespeare... but guys like Denzel? What movies do you enjoy watching, just curious.

^
Most of these guys are living off a couple of great performances at best, the likes of Elba/Malek/Garfield/Branagh should have stuck with TV or Stage, McGregor should stick to riding his bikes around the world he's brilliant at doing that.

What I enjoy watching is in my sig:thumbsup:

^
Most of these guys are living off a couple of great performances at best, the likes of Elba/Malek/Garfield/Branagh should have stuck with TV or Stage, McGregor should stick to riding his bikes around the world he's brilliant at doing that.

What I enjoy watching is in my sig:thumbsup:
As much as I like Elba every thing I seen him in I think its him rather than who he playing.
Garfield I can think I only seen him in 2 roles but both were almost the same having a awkward about them but really enjoyed his Hacksaw Ridge.
McGregor I still think of him as that guy in Trainspotting.

As much as I like Elba every thing I seen him in I think its him rather than who he playing.
Garfield I can think I only seen him in 2 roles but both were almost the same having a awkward about them but really enjoyed his Hacksaw Ridge.
McGregor I still think of him as that guy in Trainspotting.

I did really like McGregor, particularly in his early days of Hodge/MacDonald/Boyle films, but he doesn’t have great range. He’s another who acts very similarly in every film be it Renton or Obi Wan. I suppose it’s something that can be levelled at many Hollywood stars, and just depends if they have enough charisma to get away with it.

As per @Garrett, Idris Elba is starting to feel very samey - not helped by appearing in all the ads on Tv.

Hated Hacksaw Ridge total crap Garfield was like Hanks Jnr in that.
Well won 2 Oscars and 56 awards and 156 nominations. Even though they took liberty's with the real story e.g. height of the ridge, still astounding what Desmond Doss did.

But each to his own.

I'm super gay for Reynolds. I really don't get the dislike. He's brilliant. And that was before he bought Wrexham. Since then he's gone from strength to strength.

Not many actors I dislike.

I was never a fan of Robin Williams. Although clearly tragic and don't dislike him, just found him too much. Not a fan of Katherine Heigl or Jennifer Anniston (except in meet the Millers and Bad Bosses) and find Adam Sandler mostly really annoying with a few exceptions.

Well won 2 Oscars and 56 awards and 156 nominations. Even though they took liberty's with the real story e.g. height of the ridge, still astounding what Desmond Doss did.

But each to his own.

A fantastic film and a great performance. Garfield is very underrated as an actor in my opinion.

I was never a fan of Robin Williams. Although clearly tragic and don't dislike him, just found him too much. Not a fan of Katherine Heigl or Jennifer Anniston (except in meet the Millers and Bad Bosses) and find Adam Sandler mostly really annoying with a few exceptions.
I liked him when he played straight roles rather than quirky ones.
Jim Carry an other he goes way over the top in comedy roles and spoils them and was way better in The Majestic.

I liked him when he played straight roles rather than quirky ones.
Jim Carry an other he goes way over the top in comedy roles and spoils them and was way better in The Majestic.
You cant really describe the Truman show without it sounding a bit rubbish (pleasantville is the same), but it is a brilliant film and Jim Carey is fantastic in it.

A

I'd normally agree with both, but Sandler did impress me with recent Netflix effort Hustle. Unexpectedly one of my favourites this year.
Sandler is a good example of someone who can be superb in the right role (Hustle, Uncut Gems, Punch-Drunk Love), but does an inordinate amount of mediocre dross. He’s not alone, as quite a few brilliant actors clearly do stuff just for the money (and I suppose I can’t blame them).

You cant really describe the Truman show without it sounding a bit rubbish (pleasantville is the same), but it is a brilliant film and Jim Carey is fantastic in it.
Same with Carey. When he’s not on “11”, he’s very good (also Eternal Sunshine), but when he gets offered $x million to gurn at the camera…

Same with Carey. When he’s not on “11”, he’s very good (also Eternal Sunshine), but when he gets offered $x million to gurn at the camera…
Eternal sunshine doesnt appeal to me, but I have heard its fantastic. I might need to bite the bullet one day and watch it.
Or maybe I have seen it and blanked it out :)

Eternal sunshine doesnt appeal to me, but I have heard its fantastic. I might need to bite the bullet one day and watch it.
Or maybe I have seen it and blanked it out :)
It’s definitely not a typical Carey-vehicle. I think Kaufman can sometime be a bit too clever for his own good, but Eternal Sunshine is brilliant.

I don't know if I liked it or not - I found it strange and I haven't seen anything like it.
To be fair, I guess that’s what Kaufman aims to do, but SNY was too much for me. Didn't like I’m Thinking of Ending Things either, but really liked Being John Malkovich, Adaptation and Anomalisa (and Eternal Subshine), so that’s probably what you’re going to get with someone who’s thinking outside the box.

Sandler is a good example of someone who can be superb in the right role (Hustle, Uncut Gems, Punch-Drunk Love), but does an inordinate amount of mediocre dross. He’s not alone, as quite a few brilliant actors clearly do stuff just for the money (and I suppose I can’t blame them).
I cant say I'm a fan of his but Id say I was sold on Adam and Don in Reine Over Me.

Yes, that exactly.

One actor I don't get is Ryan Gosling. His acting just seems to consist of having a blank expression whilst staring off into space. Drive was the absolute pinnacle of this.

He was who I immediately thought of when I saw the thread title and for exactly that reason.
He's the male equivalent of Elisabeth Moss.

If they ever made a film together, there would probably only be 10 minutes of dialogue.

Another I forgot to add, Mark Walhberg (mentioned a lot already). He seems like he is always in an act of astonishment to anything, and his muscle posing and naked body in every movie he does.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom