Actors/actresses that you’re not sold on?

I agree with you that Matt smith is pretty poor.

I havent seen the Staircase and apparently he is different in that, but ive never found Colin Firth appealing in anything. He plays the same awkward, unlikable, bumbling role in pretty much everything. Sometimes he is a bad father as well.
He's not annoyingly bad (like Melissa George), but he's never been great in anything ive seen him in.

Firth does have a habit of playing the archetypal, bumbling Brit (much like Hugh Grant in his early days), although he used that ‘Britishness’ to much better effect in Kingsman: The Secret Service. He was great in that - channeling Patrick McNee’s John Steed. Also, I liked Firth in a darker role in the Nicole Kidman thriller Before I Go to Sleep.

Never found either to be particularly funny, even more so the latter, and his style annoys me intensely.

Only thing I ever laughed at with Ferrel was the 'more cowbell' sketch. But Christopher Walken contributed nicely to that.

I’ve never seen that sketch before and just found that it became a bit of a cultural phenomenon in the States after it aired. Walken was also good as a slimy record producer in Wayne’s World 2.

Firth does have a habit of playing the archetypal, bumbling Brit (much like Hugh Grant in his early days), although he used that ‘Britishness’ to much better effect in Kingsman: The Secret Service. He was great in that - channeling Patrick McNee’s John Steed. Also, I liked Firth in a darker role in the Nicole Kidman thriller Before I Go to Sleep.
Hugh Grant was brilliant in 'a very English scandal' - for once not playing the bumbling englishman

Hugh Grant was brilliant in 'a very English scandal' - for once not playing the bumbling englishman
He was quite good in The Gentlemen as well.
Much to my surprise.

Another actor who seems to play the same type of self effacing role in every movie is Martin Freeman.
I'm fed up with seeing him do his usual schtick every time.

Another actor who seems to play the same type of self effacing role in every movie is Martin Freeman.
I really dislike Rickey Gervais, so tend not to watch anything with him in it, as he is usually playing Ricky Gervais. Stephen Merchant is the same, but he was great in The Grindr killer.

However, there is one actor that has become fairly ubiquitous in the last few years and I cannot for the life of me fathom why? Firstly, I’m not a follower of Dr. Who so have not watched him in the role that ‘made his name.’ I believe he was very popular playing this part. Unfortunately, every film appearance I’ve watched him in is the same - he just walks around with the same one note, smug expression as if he is begging for the battering of his life. I don’t think he can act very well and practically plays the same character in Morbius and Last Night in Soho. Both performances were to the detriment of the film (good job the latter counter balances with Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy); and he’s probably going to ruin House of the Dragon. I’m, of course, talking about Matt Smith.*

*Sorry if you like him!
I thought that was going to be David Tennant although I admit I've not seen him in many things but what I have always seems to come across smug as fudge, spiv, superior know it all, his Peter Vincent was terrible not a patch on Roddy McDowell's.

Yes, that exactly.

One actor I don't get is Ryan Gosling. His acting just seems to consist of having a blank expression whilst staring off into space. Drive was the absolute pinnacle of this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an irrational list of actors/actresses I dislike, sometimes for reasons I can't even explain! Some of mine:

Jack Black
Matthew McConaughey
Anne Hathaway
Robert Downey Jr (one reason I developed a dislike of MCU films pretty early on)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an irrational list of actors/actresses I dislike, sometimes for reasons I can't even explain! Some of mine:

Jack Black
Matthew McConaughey
Anne Hathaway
Robert Downey Jr (one reason I developed a dislike of MCU films pretty early on)
Jack black is annoying in interviews (me me me) which puts me off watching him in films.

Yes, that exactly.

One actor I don't get is Ryan Gosling. His acting just seems to consist of having a blank expression whilst staring off into space. Drive was the absolute pinnacle of this.
Very much a marmite actor I'd agree, but I think he's great. After headlining my favourite film of the last 15 years or so Drive, and being perfectly cast in Blade Runner 2049, he'll always get a free pass.

Last edited:
I have always had a problem remembering anybody's name, so a long while back gave up trying to know who the actors were and just watch the films that catch my eye, I do the same with music, I hear it and either like it or I don't. I am not interested in them personally and don't automatically think because I like one of their pieces of work that I will like everything they do.

One of the best films I have seen was the recent RRR and I still don't have a clue about any of the actors including their names, I cannot even understand some of their languages, a great film though that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Yes, that exactly.

Have you seen "Lars and the real girl" with Ryan gosling ? You'll either "get it" or think it's a load of nonsense. I was broken by the end of it. Absolutely brilliant.

Have you seen "Lars and the real girl" with Ryan gosling ? You'll either "get it" or think it's a load of nonsense. I was broken by the end of it. Absolutely brilliant.
I saw it a while ago , and although it didn't do too much for me, I thought Gosling was great in it. With that, Blue Valentine (now that did break me), La La Land, Half Nelson, First Man and even The Gray Man (again, big fan of that) you can't fault his choices for wanting to mix things up a bit.

Hugh Grant is a good actor, something now undeniable after his turn in the stupendous Paddington 2 :)

Hugh Grant is a good actor, something now undeniable after his turn in the stupendous Paddington 2 :)
It was The Gentlemen that finally convinced me he's worth a watch in things now.

It was The Gentlemen that finally convinced me he's worth a watch in things now.

Yeah he's actually got range, something you would never have thought back in the Notting Hill days.

I thought that was going to be David Tennant although I admit I've not seen him in many things but what I have always seems to come across smug as fudge, spiv, superior know it all, his Peter Vincent was terrible not a patch on Roddy McDowell's.

No I don’t mind David Tennant actually. :D Of course, his Peter Vincent doesn’t get close to McDowall’s brilliant portrayal. However, I like how he was updated to a David Copperfield style illusionist.

Yes, that exactly.

He is excellent in Crazy Stupid Love. Good handle on the comedy aspects too. :)

I absolutely hated the book of cloud atlas. Was the film any good ?

Well unlike the book it didn't go from past to future and back down again, it's more like showing the different time periods throughout. I can't say if you'll like it, I only know I liked both the book and the film.

Well unlike the book it didn't go from past to future and back down again, it's more like showing the different time periods throughout. I can't say if you'll like it, I only know I liked both the book and the film.
Parts of the book not being in English really annoyed me (I really don't like books written in slang).

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom