Actors/actresses that you’re not sold on?

bruce-leroy

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I’m quite an easy going person and there’s not many stars of the screen profession that I would say I‘m not keen on watching. Some people don’t like Tom Cruise (perhaps more to do with his off screen interests than performances) and there are some who can’t tolerate Tom Hanks as a couple of examples. Ryan Reynolds is another that many cannot stand!

However, there is one actor that has become fairly ubiquitous in the last few years and I cannot for the life of me fathom why? Firstly, I’m not a follower of Dr. Who so have not watched him in the role that ‘made his name.’ I believe he was very popular playing this part. Unfortunately, every film appearance I’ve watched him in is the same - he just walks around with the same one note, smug expression as if he is begging for the battering of his life. I don’t think he can act very well and practically plays the same character in Morbius and Last Night in Soho. Both performances were to the detriment of the film (good job the latter counter balances with Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy); and he’s probably going to ruin House of the Dragon. I’m, of course, talking about Matt Smith.*

*Sorry if you like him!

If you don’t like him.
Don’t watch movies with him.

If you don’t like him.
Don’t watch movies with him.

I wasn’t watching those mentioned for him - he just happens to appear in them.

Mark Wahlberg. It's not like he's done anything to offend me, but I really struggled to see the character he plays in any film. I just see Marky Mark.

Ryan Reynolds. His Deadpool style persona wheeled out in just about everything is wearing thin now...

Pratt and Reynolds immediately spring to mind.

On the female side I'd probably say Kristen Stewart, and I was never enamoured on Cameron Diaz either to be honest.

Anthony Hopkins - always looks like he could bite your neck and is a bit miserable.
Richard Dreyfuss - too hyper constantly on the edge of a teenage tantrum
Robert Duvall - seems angry and untrustworthy

They are probably really nice guys in person, just an impression formed from their various roles.

Top 10- no particular order
Samuel L. Jackson
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
George Clooney
Idris Elba
Kevin Bacon
Ewan McGregor
Rami Malek
Kenneth Branagh
Andrew Garfield

I don’t mind Ibris Elba but he’s on the verge of over-saturating himself - if not already - by almost being on every bloody advert on Tv these days. This is funny:

I've often felt a quite a few actors are over rated. They can be so famous that all they sem to bring to a role is themselves. Every film the character cannot transcend the personality.
The way a celebrity actor conducts themselves in public can also affect my opinion of them in film also, much like musicians. If I don't like them I'll not watch their movies/listen to their albums.
It is quite refreshing to watch some independent cinema with actors you've never seen before plying the trade.

Mark Wahlberg. It's not like he's done anything to offend me, but I really struggled to see the character he plays in any film. I just see Marky Mark.
That’s virtually all big Hollywood superstars though. Tom Cruise springs to mind.
Yeah they have the odd film where they go for the awards glory but mainly they revert to type.

Nice to see a good few already mentioned, who are the same in literally everything.

Mark Wahlberg
Ryan Reynolds
Chris Pratt

I did like him for a while post Breaking Bad but I think Jesse Plemons is severely overrated he's the same in bloody everything.
How Toni Collette's performance in Hereditary doesn't get an Oscar nod and Plemons in The Power of the Dog does get an Oscar nod means that the world is in a topsy-turvy place right now.

That’s virtually all big Hollywood superstars though. Tom Cruise springs to mind.
Yeah they have the odd film where they go for the awards glory but mainly they revert to type.
I find Wahlberg exceptionally wooden. Yes, there was Boogie Nights, and maybe The Yards, but both were big ensemble pieces and propped up with excellent casts. I enjoyed The Departed, but Wahlberg stopped it from being a great film. I felt he tried too hard around all the big hitters, was completely out of his depth. His sweary cop was easily the worst thing about it.

Friend of mine won't watch anything starring Tom Hanks or Benedict Cumberbatch.
He's an Elvis fan but will not watch the recent biopic of course.
He has nothing but good things to say about Armie Hammer or Johnny Depp thinks they're both gentlemen.

I find Wahlberg exceptionally wooden. Yes, there was Boogie Nights, and maybe The Yards, but both were big ensemble pieces and propped up with excellent casts. I enjoyed The Departed, but Wahlberg stopped it from being a great film. I felt he tried too hard around all the big hitters, was completely out of his depth. His sweary cop was easily the worst thing about it.
As with all these, if you don’t like the persona you’re not going to enjoy the performances.

Rebel Wilson
Seth Rogen
Mark Wahlberg
Taron Egerton
Chris Pratt
Jennifer Lawrence
Julia Roberts
Saoirse Ronan
Margot Robbie
Jesse Plemons
Lily James
Emma Watson

Nice to see a good few already mentioned, who are the same in literally everything.

Mark Wahlberg
Ryan Reynolds
Chris Pratt

I did like him for a while post Breaking Bad but I think Jesse Plemons is severely overrated he's the same in bloody everything.
How Toni Collette's performance in Hereditary doesn't get an Oscar nod and Plemons in The Power of the Dog does get an Oscar nod means that the world is in a topsy-turvy place right now.

Good call on Plemons. I don't see it either to be honest.

I've often felt a quite a few actors are over rated. They can be so famous that all they sem to bring to a role is themselves. Every film the character cannot transcend the personality.
The way a celebrity actor conducts themselves in public can also affect my opinion of them in film also, much like musicians. If I don't like them I'll not watch their movies/listen to their albums.
It is quite refreshing to watch some independent cinema with actors you've never seen before plying the trade.
I agree so much with all of that.
That must be the goal for movie stars, being so liked that they can just play themelves - easier and great for the ego. Win win

On your second point, one that stands out for me is sadly Frances McDormand.
I used to love her and in everything she did but then saw her one acceptance speech. I just found it so jarring and obnoxious that I can't stand her after that. That's just me though.

I don’t see it as a problem when stars play themselves. Actors such as Clint, Sly and Arnie are hugely popular and have made some wonderful movies. At the other end of the scale Robert de Nero can bring something different to each role he plays, whether it be Rupert Pupkin or The Godfather. Plenty of room for all in cinema.

I agree about when not liking the real them it can turn people off their movies. Kevin Spacey was a fine actor to me but now I can hardly watch him. I’d outgrown Woody Allen even before his public troubles and wouldn’t watch any of his films again for both reasons.

I also agree about new and fresh actors. I watched a low budget German film about hijacking a plane the other day and was riveted by the quality of the unknown actors and production whicy made it seem very real.

I’m quite an easy going person and there’s not many stars of the screen profession that I would say I‘m not keen on watching. Some people don’t like Tom Cruise (perhaps more to do with his off screen interests than performances) and there are some who can’t tolerate Tom Hanks as a couple of examples. Ryan Reynolds is another that many cannot stand!

However, there is one actor that has become fairly ubiquitous in the last few years and I cannot for the life of me fathom why? Firstly, I’m not a follower of Dr. Who so have not watched him in the role that ‘made his name.’ I believe he was very popular playing this part. Unfortunately, every film appearance I’ve watched him in is the same - he just walks around with the same one note, smug expression as if he is begging for the battering of his life. I don’t think he can act very well and practically plays the same character in Morbius and Last Night in Soho. Both performances were to the detriment of the film (good job the latter counter balances with Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy); and he’s probably going to ruin House of the Dragon. I’m, of course, talking about Matt Smith.*

*Sorry if you like him!
I agree with you that Matt smith is pretty poor.

I havent seen the Staircase and apparently he is different in that, but ive never found Colin Firth appealing in anything. He plays the same awkward, unlikable, bumbling role in pretty much everything. Sometimes he is a bad father as well.
He's not annoyingly bad (like Melissa George), but he's never been great in anything ive seen him in.

Will Ferrel
Adam Sandler

Never found either to be particularly funny, even more so the latter, and his style annoys me intensely.

Only thing I ever laughed at with Ferrel was the 'more cowbell' sketch. But Christopher Walken contributed nicely to that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom