Activities in Sorrento

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by owenwoodcock89, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am planning on going on holiday to Sorrento this year, maybe October time. I have never been to Italy before and I am really excited but I have had experiences of being disappointed from tourist attractions.

Does anyone know anywhere really authentic or fun and lively activities in Sorrento?

Thank you

2. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Sorrento is a beautiful town with plenty of lovely restaurants and bars.

But - you're probably better off using it as a base and exploring the Amalfi coast: Amalfi itself, Ravello, Positano, Naples (although, with the exception of the National Archeology museum which was awesome, we were very disappointed with Naples itself), Capri, Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum.

All of these are worth looking at.

Not sure how you're planning on getting around - we went on an organised trip with coaches driving us, and I was glad. I wouldn't;t want to drive along that coastal road - it's bloody terrifying in places!!

That apart - we had a great time there.

3. Glaswegian67

Glaswegian67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You can get a train from Sorrento to Pompeii. Makes the whole day less stressful.

4. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We aren't going to be driving so it is going to be public transport all the way.

Naples was on our list of places to go, what was it that disappointed you?

Thanks for the tip Glaswegian67, anything to reduce stress on holiday, i'm going there to run from stress!

5. Glaswegian67

Glaswegian67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Naples is quite industrial, has a poor reputation, that's why we didn't go when we were in Sorrento.
    A bus tour around the Amalfi coast will delight, the ferry across to Capri is a must. We went by fast ferry and it was hold on to your hat stuff. Part of the day walking round the port you get into is nice, we went up the funicular (right at the port) then walked down the other side to a small beach with a bar there. Was lovely.
    There are plenty Lemoncello off sales and tourist things. Indulge.
    Sorrento is a lovely town with plenty ice cream shops and cafés to choose from. Beach clubs (sophisticated, not rowdy).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    I echo everything @Glaswegian67 says. I would add, if you get to Capri, go up to Ana Capri on the chair-lift as well - the views are quite stunning, especially if it's a clear day.

Out opinion of Naples was clouded (no pun intended) by the fact it rained much of the day we were there, but it did just feel like another big city. Grubby, lots of beggars - some quite aggressive, street vendors selling knock-off stuff - again quite aggressive at times. We stopped in a cafe for a coffee & cake and the service wasn't great - the waitress asking us to not only pay, but to tip he as well when she brought the drinks and food to the table.

As I said, much if this negativity was countered by the Archeological Museum, and the rest of the places we went to were excellent.

Although we didn't need to use them, we did hear other people saying the trains were excellent - ran on time, frequent and I think you can go to lots of places from Sorrento.

7. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think we will definitely be giving Naples a miss then. I've heard there are lots of lemon trees in Sorrento and you can smell the lemon in the morning.
    It sounds like such a different world.

8. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    If you visit Capri make sure you do the boat trip around the island. It takes about an hour or so and is visually stunning. The skippers reverse into grottos and caves and take you under and around some amazing rock formations. Amalfi is also stunning, I would go as far as to say the Sorrento area in general is the most attractive place I have ever seen. Enjoy P1030185.JPG P1030211.JPG P1030229.JPG P1030293-001.JPG P1030185.JPG

9. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,896
    Go to La Basilica restaurant if you can find it. If you're lucky there might be a wedding on in the basilica beside it. Sit the drink wine eat delicious food and feel the vibe.

10. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Best place to stay

Sorrento really is a great place to say for the whole Bay of Naples area. You get great access to transport and its a nice place in of itself. Its not a beachy place at all, but then neither is the area generally, just so you know. While there are lots of nice hillside places that look a good idea in a brochure, I would think practical and stay in town, near where you get your trains and buses and have access down to the harbour below for boats. Its a really nice town and I'm sure you'll find a nice place that is conveniently located for transport.

Naples

Many people, including myself, make the mistake of thinking, Bay of Naples ..... ah yes, so stay in Naples. Wrong. Yes Naples is horrible in general. Just trust me and the others who have said so. However, there are worthy things in Naples you can target and from Sorrento it is an easy day trip by train. I wouldn't give it more than that though. Other places the train goes to in the area can be done almost as easily from Sorrento as if from Naples. I stayed half in Naples then moved for the second half to Sorrento, then realised I could have done the whole thing there and nicer that would have been.

Transport from a Sorrento base

A super handy loop rail line called Circumvesuviana goes between Naples, Sorrento and around various places of interest for tourists, e.g. Pompeii ( station Pompeii Scavi ), Herculaneun ( station Ercolano Scavi then simply walk downhill ), Vesuvius. Watch yourself for pickpockets here as you would a big city metro system.

For visting Vesuvius volcanic mountain, there are buses that go from Eercolano Scavi station and I think also from Pompeii but not necessarily where you get off your train there. Just research the current position. I remember I took the bus from Pompeii to Vesuvius and then a different bus to Ercalano Scavi to visit Herculaneum, but as I say I think the bus thing from Pompeii needs to be researched by you. ( btw what I did there was rather tight for all three things in just the one day ! )

Regular bus services take you from Sorrento down the winding coastal roads south. e.g. Positano, Amalfi. Both awesome.

Boats not only take you to the islands but also hop along the coastal towns like Amalfi, Positano ( my fav ) and Sorrento.

Consider the option to use buses and boats in combination for getting up and down the coastal towns. e.g. down relatively quick by bus(es), take a boat coming back.

Be early for the buses as they crowd out with standers and along them twisting coast roads you won't be liking it if you're one of them.

Miscellaneous tips

Island of Capri :

Yes there's a boat from Sorrento.
    Where you land is awful but thankfully where most folks remain. Get away from them to Ana Capri, up and over. Do it by open top taxi ! Double price compared to mainland but worth it because the small buses are awful and the open air taxi is nice and because you can stop at overlooks on the amazing cliffs of death on the way over.
    From Ana Capri there's a chair lift that takes you right to the highest point and really worth doing, with fine views from the top, to the harbour and lagoons below. Maybe stop to eat up in Ana Capri.
    From the arrival point down below there are nearby, boat trips as mentioned by other posters, including to the Blue Lagoon.
    Time might be tight to do the high up and over thing and a longer boat trip round the island. But I would make sure you do the former. In which case perhaps a short Blue Lagoon type boat trip would suit if time is at a pinch.

Vesuvius

The buses do get you most of the way up but there is still a steep walk for the last bit. If completely unfit, bear this in mind. There is a kiosk for ice creams and drinks half way up that walk - you'll never appreciate it more !
    Most important thing to say about Vesuvius, is to take a set of old dirty walking shoes you're not caring about, a change of socks a brush and a plastic bag. I'm not joking and after the walk you'll appreciate that you bothered. The dirty old ash makes an appalling mess. You need to change out of your dirtied shoes and socks, brush yourself down, change and bag or bin ( likely ) the dirty stuff.

Coastal buses

A reminder, to get there nice and early as they do crowd out.

Ravello

I missed this but everyone says this high up village is great. There are buses from Amalfi ( so two buses from Sorrento ) or there are organised excursions.

Paestum

Another thing I missed, but if you're into ancient stuff this is world class. Its a bit time consuming to get to it however. Take a bus or boat to Salerno then you can get a train.

Naples - an idea - look into recent underground excavations. I believe a lot has been happening since I was there.

Herculaneum

Many people say to pick between Pompeii and Herculaneum and Pompeii being the larger site by far usually wins. But how tragic ! If you can, really really do come to Herculaneum. Its quite different to Pompeii and in its own way, so much better i.e. the intactness of whole sections of street and of the wall murals, tiling etc, which are absolutely stunning. Also, the position of the village in relation to the volcanic mountain is so much more dramatic to the imagination than at Pompeii, as it looms above.
    I timed by visit to be in the late afternoon and that worked brilliantly for the sun and photography, and also it was quiet. You'll get some really gorgeous shots of Herculaneum , copying me.
    Pompeii and Herculaneum are quite different. Please do not think if you have done Pomeii there isn't a point to Herculaneum. If you can, please do both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  11. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,720
    We are off to Sorrento in August, so thank you for the tips.

One tip from our travel agent was that Sorrento and particularly St Agnello is quite seasonal, so some of the bars, restaurants and hotels are closed after the half term. (I think there is a national holiday around then and that is the closure date for many places)

We have booked an organised trip to Vesuvius from Sorrento. Coach to the 1st car park, then 4x4 truck to almost the top, with the last vertical 200M to walk. In the afternoon you get a meal and wine tasting at a vineyard and then a snooze back in the bus.

Buy combined Pompeii and Herculaneum tickets in advance. You get both sites for the on the day price of Pompeii, plus some of the museums as well.

12. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Getting to Sorrento

There are direct services from Naples airport to your accommodation in Sorrento.
    For example : home

Or, if you simply enjoy transferring about on different forms of transport, get yourself to Naples then you have a choice :
    either board the Circumvesuviana train for Sorrento or take a hydrofoil across the water - perhaps a more fun way.

13. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    :( I would never go to a place like this in August.

But then, I am a cat, with fur. Plus I'm very overweight.

I think the OP has the right idea with October.

14. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,720
    I would agree, we normally do Italy in June, but we have 2 teenage girls who insisted upon August, a pool, boys and wifi...

15. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Ah.

Bear in mind this area has little in the way of beaches mind. Sorrento, virtually nothing. Some small bits at Amalfi and Positano.

Plenty of local lads though ( but none of them a match in looks for my fine markings ).

16. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Oh wow! those images look absolutely amazing! Knowing my luck, the whole holiday will be rain :p

Is it quite a difficult place to find? I do like to take adventures and find little treasures.

Wow so much information, thank you so much. I think this holiday is going to be better than what we may have planned if I didn't ask you guys for tips. Just need to save up those pennies :) I absolutely love architecture so will definitely fit Herculaneum into the plan. I'm starting to think I may need a 6 week holiday ;)

I never even thought about seasonality for attractions, I'm glad you have mentioned this and I'm glad October seems like a good time :D

17. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I visited Sorrento in mid June. It was warm with a bit of rain. Might have been just unlucky, but when I visit again it will be early July or a mid August. Please try the Lemonchello drink and of course Peroni lager beer. Both delicious.

18. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

IS the Peroni beer any different to what you can buy here in the UK? I'm not the biggest fan of Peroni so I hope it's better.

19. Glaswegian67

Glaswegian67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are 2 Peroni beers in Italy. The one you get here, which is known as Nastro and a red labelled one known as Peroni. The red one is less of a lager than the one we get and a wee big stronger tasting. The red one sells.more in Italy.
    So if you want the lager you ask for Nastro, if you ask for Peroni you get the red one.

20. michaelkenward

michaelkenward
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I strongly endorse this one. Herculaneum is more interesting than Pompeii, and probably less crowded.

Herculaneum is a buried city. Pompeii is a devastated wasteland in comparison. Visit both if possible, but if you can do just one, it has to be Herculaneum.

If you can, check some of the BBC TV programmes on Pompeii and Herculaneum. You will know more about the place and will understand more of what you see.

If there is rail access, or a coach, the Solfatara crater near Naples is a strange, and smelly, tourist attraction.

21. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Nastro Asurri is draft lager and very good. A local wine called Tears of Christ, which is a white wine and the grapes are grown on Vesuvius itself. If u visit the volcano it's half price compared to bars or hotels. 10 euros on Vesuvius 20 or so in town. Enjoy.

22. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wasn't sure whether I should be visiting the volacano or not, are there any times in the year that the volcano should be avoided?

23. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Anytime is OK its still smoking in parts. Lol. I will add some pics for you later on

24. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Vesuvius up close and smoking. These photos were taken inside the crater. It gives you an idea as to how big the explosion was. P1030072.JPG P1030091.JPG P1030074.JPG P1030072.JPG

25. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeese that is absolutely huge! I bet it can be scary to live near a volcano, especially when there's rumbles.

26. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    One day, who knows when it will go again. However in this day and age they have devices that scientifically can give a warning as to when the volcano will explode.

sadly the cost can be high.

Attached Files:

27. Cloth-Ears

Cloth-Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    On that Italian holiday I refer to, I discovered Biera Moretti. Maybe partly it was a memory of just how awesome it was to get those few pints of cold Moretti just when I needed it, but I must say I do have a preference for Moretti over Nastro, also based on comparing the bottles here.
    Try it from the supermarkets, as big 660ml bottles I think. Its the one with the bloke in the hat having his pint, on the label.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  28. owenwoodcock89

owenwoodcock89
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

The images look so surreal, the devastation is something I can't image living through.

I'm going to get a holiday plan together tonight with the Mrs and I'll share it with you guys :) We want to have some spontaneity in the holiday but still have an idea of what we're doing.

Can't book it till April though but I've got this thing were Google alerts me every time prices change for the flights. At the moment it keeps going down which is good.

29. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I am sure you and your partner will enjoy the holiday. It has not been mentioned as yet, BUT the ice cream in Sorrento is amazing. At a place called Davids in Sorrento town. Not expensive at all as was the bars and restaurants in general.