Activision to charge subscription for DLC, they may fleece us yet!

Chrispyphillips

This news has shocked me to my core, and if implemented, might make GH:WT my last ever Guitar Hero incarnation purchase! Not that I download a lot of their stuff anyway, its nothing compared to HMX's download policy (I must download the Metallica album before this comes out!)

The only real bad news is that if it proves to be a success, whats to stop Harmonix from doing the same thing, but maybe on a smaller scale!

I got this from shacknews, havent heard it elsewhere, but got it originally from Wiki's GH site. Sounds baaaaad! :rolleyes:

Guitar Hero DLC Subscription Being Evaluated by Activision, Plans to Make Lots of Money
by Blake Ellison Sep 16, 2008 6:29pm CST tags: Guitar Hero World Tour, Guitar Hero, DLC

Activision is considering a subscription service to deliver new songs monthly for its music-rhythm series Guitar Hero, according to Activision Publishing CEO Mike Griffith during Activision Blizzard's Analyst Day event yesterday. As Griffith explained:
"Looking even further out, we're exploring new models, like an annual pass subscription where players can subscribe and get a certain number of songs downloadable each month."

No further details, such as a price or a start date for such a program, were made available. The plan would, however, be just part of Activision's plan to "monetize" the Guitar Hero series.

"We've learned that the consumer still has an insatiable appetite for more," said Griffith. "Consumers have downloaded over 20 million individual songs for the franchise, and they still tell us they want more," he added.

"In fact, the Guitar Hero: Aerosmith game delivered 10x the revenue compared to Aerosmith's most recently released CD in 2004, when comparing equivalent launch periods," Griffith continued. Most of the revenue from the game, of course, went in Activision's direction instead of Aerosmith's.

Yeah, they have an insatiable appetite for more, cos you release F all!!! :mad:

Captain Speedy

:eek:

Now, now leave the nice lads of Aerosmith out of it. ;)

How stupid taking todays figures and looking at some figures that you made up. When did the last Aerosmith CD come with a 360 game :suicide:

I don't see me getting this or even buying into it. I have enough things to remember to renew every year. Why do I need another ?

So I need a gold membership for live and then I need some points to buy some of the current songs and now I could end up with another membership for GH. That for me is far too many people in the chain all looking some money out of me. Its also not GF friendly :suicide:

Would it cover all systems OR would you need it for each system ?
How many systems can you use it on ? 1 or more.

You would never see EA go this way and thats saying something about EA. If I want extra tracks then allow me to just buy them and own them.

oasismark

Distinguished Member
I dont think that will work if you can only get songs through subscription.

So many people must only buy a odd song here and there, and they wouldn't want to exclude that market.

If it happens i think it would run along side the current methods of getting DLC.

drskhaled

I very much doubt the GH store will be subscription only. I'm certain they'll stick to current pack, 3 songs for 500msp but If they do more album downloads at similar price to death magnetic then i'm game. If subs do come into play then thered have to be some element of saving over individual payments (say 10-15% which is equivalent to a quid off a tenner). Until we have an idea of DLC quality (both song and note chart quality), quantity and cost theres no way of judging if a subscription model will take off.

Lets use a know quantity like rockband, if (hypothetically) they offered a subs service for a monthly fee of say £15 it would get alot of interest from high downloadres (like me). This is because i have confidence in hmx's ability to offer high quality songs frequently, therefore its not a gamble. GHWT on the other hand is another matter and their past performance (of dlc) leaves alot to be desired.

Either way i'm not interested in subscriptions on any format.

Chrispyphillips

Got some other news regarding just how Activision intend to rape this formula in order to make money. The GH cash cow keeps chewing the cud! :rolleyes:

IGA, Activision partner for PS3 ads
By Tom Magrino, GameSpot Posted Sep 30, 2008 8:57 pm GMT
Provider enters multiyear agreement with Guitar Hero publisher to lend dynamic ads on Sony's console; World Tour getting served first.

Love it or hate it, dynamically served in-game advertisement is a business model that isn't likely to become less pervasive in the coming future. Far from it, in fact, as in June, Sony added its PlayStation 3 to Microsoft's Xbox 360 and PC platforms as a venue open to updatable in-game adverts. The first to strike a deal with Sony on this front was IGA Worldwide, who reached an agreement to serve dynamic ads in games published by Electronic Arts for the PS3 over the next two years.

Today, IGA Worldwide announced its second major deal tied to dynamic ads on the PS3. The marketing firm has entered into a multiyear agreement with EA archrival Activision Publishing to deliver dynamic ads for an unspecified number of games appearing on the PS3. The first game to be party to this deal will be Activision's megahit-in-waiting rhythm game Guitar Hero World Tour.

Putting a consumer-first spin on the deal, Activision Publishing head of business development Dave Anderson said in a statement, "By incorporating dynamic in-game advertising in our titles where it is appropriate, we can increase the realism of our games by presenting consumers with authentic environments in genuine settings, while also expanding a key growth opportunity for the company."

IGA and Activision Publishing emphasized that ads served through the deal will be implemented in a "contextually relevant way." Putting the "dynamic" in the advertisements, the marketing campaigns are updated in real time, to schedule ads as time-sensitively as television spots.

I know it relates to PS3 specifically, but theres nothing to stop the 360 version being used this way, since MS have already signed a similar agreement, giving this sort of occurrence carte blanche on future games! Activision are dropping multiple cool points with me today. They may be the first games company I actively boycott if their business plan comes to fruition!

Last edited:

lentini

Got some other news regarding just how Activision intend to rape this formula in order to make money. The GH cash cow keeps chewing the cud! :rolleyes:

Activision are dropping multiple cool points with me today. They may be the first games company I actively boycott if their business plan comes to fruition!

NOW do you see one of the problems I have with the GH 'franchise' right now? :D

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer

Tufty McTavish

Lets use a know quantity like rockband, if (hypothetically) they offered a subs service for a monthly fee of say £15 it would get alot of interest from high downloadres (like me). This is because i have confidence in hmx's ability to offer high quality songs frequently, therefore its not a gamble. GHWT on the other hand is another matter and their past performance (of dlc) leaves alot to be desired.

Pretty much sums up my evaluation. I buy a lot of RB DLC (there are about 200 songs in my RB1 set right now) so there is some degree of interest in a mechanism that allows me to get more for less, if you see what I mean. But some weeks I get nothing at all, other times I buy too much, and I'm still struggling to get through it all, frankly.

So based on this I'd rather take a more individual look at content availability. I'm an album-oriented man if anything - I'll get the entire set of songs rather than download a couple of my favourites. I'm not entirely sure I need something that's pushing me to buy x tracks each month. Still, choices are good - I just happen to quite like the choices that Harmonix/RB offers me.

shagaboopon

I don't understand the problems you guys have. The DLC was always going to be awful as it has been since GHII, which ironically was Harmonix's game. The simple fact is that unless Activision make significant changes to their DLC model (i.e. more flexibility and cheaper) then they're not going to sell as much as they'd like so this subscription idea is already dead in the water.

Personally I'll probably stay well clear of all GHWT content until a pack comes up that is a must buy. Might I add I was interested in buying the Metallica album until I remembered whats the point with GH:Metallica due next year....

Chrispyphillips

The simple fact is that unless Activision make significant changes to their DLC model (i.e. more flexibility and cheaper) then they're not going to sell as much as they'd like so this subscription idea is already dead in the water.

I dont know Shaga, it seems like thats the reason why their not going to sell DLC to you, but GH's DLC is hugley successful if you go on the charts by amount of downloaded tracks they've already put out. There must be profit in this model for them to be able to suggest such an idea. Okay, you dont have to buy into it, but others might, and this could only be bad (if it does cancel out other DLC purchasing options).

My prime concern is that the DLC model has been proving to be hugley successful (not just for GH, but most series and XBL in general) and so with talk of a 'DLC subscription' service, and Activision looking to actively make a tidy profit from the market, whats to stop them charging a sub for playing the game online, or playing the songs that dont come on the game. Its a slippery slope!

shagaboopon

I dont know Shaga, it seems like thats the reason why their not going to sell DLC to you, but GH's DLC is hugley successful if you go on the charts by amount of downloaded tracks they've already put out. There must be profit in this model for them to be able to suggest such an idea. Okay, you dont have to buy into it, but others might, and this could only be bad (if it does cancel out other DLC purchasing options).

My prime concern is that the DLC model has been proving to be hugley successful (not just for GH, but most series and XBL in general) and so with talk of a 'DLC subscription' service, and Activision looking to actively make a tidy profit from the market, whats to stop them charging a sub for playing the game online, or playing the songs that dont come on the game. Its a slippery slope!

I promise you if they had single track downloads available from the start then their DLC would be higher than it is now. The DLC has been very poor, overpriced and simply not enough of it, I doubt this is going to change. I'd love to see the comparison of RB against the GH games in terms of average DLC sales.

Chrispyphillips

I'd love to see the comparison of RB against the GH games in terms of average DLC sales.

Didnt someone provide us with these figures a while back? I'm sure it was someone like Tufty or Oasismark. I recall people being surprised that the RB DLC wasnt selling as well as people thought it would. Thing is mate, I know RB has far more DLC, better pricing, better model etc, but the fact is, the kit costs too much for the average gamer, and so people have so far stuck with GH3 (worldwide) as they know what GH is all about and trust the product. Then, when they release Foo's/Metallica DLC, people will download it in their droves as its very mainstream and popular! I still happen to think Rock Band is niche at this stage, but that could change when World Tour is released. If you look at the online charts, there are more people playing GH3 then there are Rock Band, and thats been pretty much the trend since its release. I think the figures would shock you. Now, if only we could find them..... :rolleyes:

Chrispyphillips

I'd like to see the figures for DLC WITHOUT the free tracks

THATS the key lentini! I'm not sure these would be available. I'm sure Acti would skew statistics anyway! Get rid of the free tracks (of which there have been several, sh¦te ones) in both games, and compare the sales. I've had a cheeky look, but arent sure of the righ site to check out, or what to ask Google to look for. When I typed in 'figures' I got those awful GH staue figures of Johnny Napalm and gang!!

lentini

When I typed in 'figures' I got those awful GH staue figures of Johnny Napalm and gang!!

:rotfl:

It's all well and good Activision boasting about 30 million downloads but how many have been bought? Not that many in my experience, all the times I played online with GH3 the only DLC the other players had were the free ones (a lot of the times it's the same deal in Rock Band :( )

Chrispyphillips

Right, to (hopefully) put this to bed, I've read an Edge article from March this year comparing the two. Not that impressive as it only counts the US RB DLC at this stage, and we know there has been a tonne more since, but its the best I have to go on. I assume there are charts in the article, but I can view all pictures in work for some pathetic netmarshall reason! :(

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Activision are dropping multiple cool points with me today. They may be the first games company I actively boycott if their business plan comes to fruition!

I've boycotted EA over Rock Band, was already getting annoyed with them advertising 'EA' in various forms about 7 times before being able to play Skate and Fifa but the price tag of Rock Band here pushed me over the edge. Don't get me wrong, I'll rent their games or buy them sub-£20 but not interested in lining their pockets ever. I'd honestly started to appreciate what EA were doing, thought they were going in the right direction as a company but unfortunately not. Activision are certainly in the same mould but (double standardly!) I really wanna programme songs... Acoustic Guitar Hero here I come! :)

Semerie

LMAO i love the quote
"CERTAIN number of songs each month"
not
"UNLIMITED number of songs each month"

you think their just getting to terms with the lower prices and then they shove this in your face..

I have bought every DL for GH even though im poor as hell lmao.. but this subscription would be BS and if they do actually make it this i may just have to start playing RB 2 instead...

they always find a way to get to you though...
if they had a system where you could vote for what DLC you want then maybe i'd consider it but.. until that day no thank you.

lentini

Yet another bizarre idea spouted by the idiot Bobby Kotick. He really is off his head if thinks people will pay a monthly subscription for user-created songs.

Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, noted during today's quarterly earnings conference call that the publisher may begin charging for user-generated songs uploaded through Guitar Hero World Tour's GH Tunes service. Kotick has previously stated that GH Tunes has the "potential" to be one of the "credible alternatives to iTunes."

Kotick boasted that the latest Guitar Hero has, since launch, seen some 25,000 user created songs uploaded to GH Tunes. The company expects to see "up to 100,000 by year end."

"The ability to offer these songs on a subscription basis may very well result in the newest subscription opportunity in our portfolio," Kotick said, hoping to add to the revenues the recently merged publisher enjoys from World of Warcraft. The MMO is largely responsible for $271 million in revenue for the previous quarter alone.

from here: Bobby Kotick: Activision Eyes Subscription Fees For Guitar Hero World Tour User-Created Songs

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone