Question Active vs Hybrid HDMI for Long Lengths

Turbo Tony

Novice Member
My setup includes three long lengths of HDMI cable (approx 8m, 10m and 13m). At the moment, they are HDMI 1.3 cables, designed to carry a 1080 signal.

Pretty soon, I might be able to get access to these cables and I intend to fit conduit and also replace them for a more up-to-date cable that can carry 4k video.

My question is, for long lengths, should I be looking at active cables, like the Monoprice Redmere or Lindy active, or the hybrid copper/optical cables like those made by Ruipro?

Has anyone tried both? What would you recommend?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Active HDMI - you will need to be clear on your signal format requirements, the active chips may have format limitations.

Hybrid Fibre HDMI - the Ruipro cables cater for all current formats at lengths up to 50m.

The Media Factory

Joe

andy1249

Distinguished Member
My setup includes three long lengths of HDMI cable (approx 8m, 10m and 13m). At the moment, they are HDMI 1.3 cables, designed to carry a 1080 signal.

Pretty soon, I might be able to get access to these cables and I intend to fit conduit and also replace them for a more up-to-date cable that can carry 4k video.

My question is, for long lengths, should I be looking at active cables, like the Monoprice Redmere or Lindy active, or the hybrid copper/optical cables like those made by Ruipro?

Has anyone tried both? What would you recommend?
Version numbers never apply to cables , only chipsets.

Cables can only be tested post manufacture and given a quality assurance logo of "standard speed" "high speed" or "premium" based on how they do in the test.
No cable is designed to be one type or another.
The design for all cables is the same.
How they do in the test depends on how well they are made, not on the design.

Given the lengths you have , and the fact that no cable longer than 8 meters has ever passed anything higher than the standard speed test, what you have are standard speed cables at best.
Thats assuming they carry the logo, if they dont , they were simply never tested.

http://www.hdmi.org/pdf/atlug_faqs/2011_04_26_ATLUG_Q07_FINAL.pdf

For 4K no HDMI cable is going to work reliably at longer than 8 meters active or not.
Active cables in my experience are a bit of a con.

The reason for this is that active cables use HDMI circuitry embedded within the cable and this requires power. This power is usually stolen from the HDMI 5v line which is against spec and which makes an already weak signal( in the case of a long run) weaker, so rather than helping in a long run situation, they just make matters worse.

At the moment , for an unmolested lossless HDMI signal at the lengths you require, fibre is your best option that is guaranteed to work.

Turbo Tony

Novice Member
Thanks guys, fibre it is then.

What are the chances that a high speed HDMI fibre cable purchased now will be able to transfer data at a speed compatible with the newer formats on the horizon? (I'm referring to 4k/120Hz etc.)

I know it's asking a lot, but these cables are expensive and I'd like having to avoid replacing them as long as possible.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
For now I think it prudent to say you are covered for current Generation Source and Display devices and what happens once the advanced Features HDMI 2.1 will offer is an unknown.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom