1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Subwoofer Cabling

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dankeech, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I'm shortly to get my Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo active Sub, and have no clue as to which active-subwoofer interconnect to get. It needs to be 3 to 5 metes long.

I'm running off a Nad T753 and am using QED Silver Anniversary for the fronts (Evo 3's), and am looking for a good quality Subwoofer interconnect.

I've got £45 to spend and the QED SR-SW cables look good, and the Black Rhodium Rhythm looks interesting and within my budget.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  3. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Not yet purchased the Sub, but been very happy with the Evo 3's, have the evo centre on the way (should be delivered today), and will probably order the Evo 1's for the rears and the Evo Sub at end of month. Was wondering which was better, the QED or Black Rhodium, but any idea how Mark Grant's cables compare?

4. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any decent well-shielded interconnect will do the job fine. Shielding is of particular importance to sub cables, as they are long and their critical range of operation includes the mains frequency.

5. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Thanks. Will make sure the cable is well-shielded and if crossing electrical wires, then will cross at 90degrees.

Currently have a bit of a mess of cabling I have to sort out as have 2x computers nearby as well.

No good for electrical noise etc

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i use a QED digital coaxial for my sub from 7oaks, 3m cost about £35 i think...works very well, no unwanted noise at all, seems to carry the signal nice and pure....

btw, mine has to contend with various computer and network cables, plus mains, speaker, etc....has no problems...lol

7. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Kb,
    Been very happy with QED so far. Silver Anniversary w/Airloc's all round, QED OT Optical and Sqart P2120 (nice cable).
    Was looking at the QED cables. Just realised I've got to use both Sub outs on the T753 AV Reciever, or split the signal to the 2 inputs on the sub.
    Looking at the Qunex1 5m Dual phoneo cable at the moment. £50 cheapest price found.
    Shielding's pretty important, as have laptop, desktop & monitor to run. Will get Sub at end of month and also looking around for a 2nd hand Loewe Aconda / Nemos TV atm.
    Thanks for the help. QED it is then.

8. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Although i'm only pro-logic at the moment (will be upgrading soon) I have found decent quality and well shielded phono interconnects are fine for the cinema sound side of my sub, a REL Storm 111. I use Van Den Hul 102 mk111 which was made up by a hi-fi shop off the reel with decent quality 24k hard gold plated interconnects. Admittedly this was some time ago but all this business about specific cable for a sub is imo pushing things a bit. Ok, if you don't have a spare pair of quality phono leads knocking about then one might as well get a specific lead, other than that don't go wasting your hard earned spendoolies. :thumbsup:

9. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i do rate Black Rhodium Rhythm as a very very good subwoofer cable. Their Supermains 25 is also a good mains cable for hooking up subs (i find that subwoofer hum is a problem with some subs and stock IEC cables)

10. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Don't get me wrong by the way, i'm not knocking purpose designed leads for subs i'm just saying that any decent quality shielded interconnect will be ok and if you don't have any spare then by all means get a purpose built cable/interconnect for the job.

I do tend to view all this as much the same way as in the situation regarding special plugs for ones mains and very high priced cables and interconnects, good quality MK plugs are fine and so is reasonably priced cabling, but if one does not hold on to sensibility, and to some extent your money, the whole debacle ends up somewhat in snake oil territory. ;)

I remember some moons ago I was at a Q&A session given by Barry Fox at the Hi-Fi News Heathrow show and someone asked specifically about plugs and his reply was there is nothing wrong in using MK plugs, just clean the prongs every so often. Well of course now electrical equipment has to have a captured plug and have for some time, so that particular argument is somewhat negated. Never the less having spoken to REL on the question of purpose designed leads for sub bass systems their opinion at the time was as I have stated, using a good quality lead is just fine, but if you haven't got a spare then by all means there is certainly no reason why one shouldn't purchase a specific lead advertised for the job. :smashin:

11. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mark Grants measures better than most commercial pretty coloured cables and costs less than most too :thumbsup:

12. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Rozzar:
    Interested in what you mentioned about Subwoofer Hum. I'll have to keep an ear out for that. How much is a cheap mains lead. Don't really want to spend much, as cabling would end up costing more than sub. Any cheap options out that for entry-level cable of this type?

LicensedTaximan:

I also can't see the point of spending the extra money on a dedicated sub-lead. I'm guessing that those leads transfer the low-frequencies patrticularly well, but then again, sub-bass I'm guessing doesn't need the detail involved with the midrange & treble.
    The lead I'm looking at is just an ok QED 5m dual-phono interconnect (Qunex1). Shame it's £50 for the 5 metre one. May be able to get away with 3m later on, but don't want to risk it in the current config as sub will have to be near the rear speakers, about 3m+ away from the reciever plus room for routing.

Excuse not knowing perhaps the obvious, but what does HK stand for etc?

Dan.

13. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would'nt bother with expensive mains leads :) Cables only make a difference where it can be measured :)

14. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    If you are refering to me the letters HK are in fact MK and is the name of a well respected company who manufacture electrical components....plugs, flying leads etc etc. Their items can be purchased from most decent electrical retailers.

15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    Mark Grant cables are great and well within your budget. :thumbsup:

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if the run isnt too long and isnt going near other cables apart from at the amp end, then any 75ohm shielded cable will do, the JVC ones u get in Dixons are fine......and if you only need it for movie use then those same JVC's are fine in their longer versions.......but if u dont use 75ohm shielded then you will pick up hum, normal run of the mill stereo type interconnects wont be good enough to keep it out......

if however u need a longer run and its going to be crossing various other cables (interconnect, power, computer etc) then its worth spending a little more, especially if you use your sub for music as much as movies....then there is a difference....

but to be honest, £50 for 5 metres is probably the upper limit necessary unless you get in to very expensive equipment and subs....the more power running in the sub amp, the greater the hum will be if any is picked up...

17. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Congrats AngelEyes & LicensedTaxiMan on your 'multiples of 100 posts' reached =]

Anyone got a link (with pics) of Mark Grant Cables.

Sounds pretty poor, but the cables must compliment the rest of my Setup as well as being pretty good.

£50 is my max budget as the Sub is only about £250 as my cables have already cost £250 so far (5 sets of speaker wire w/connectors and A/V interconnects).

At the moment trying to decide whether to spend out on a sub on payday, or get a 2nd hand Loewe Aconda 32". Hmm. it's going to be a difficult one....

P.S: Anyone using Cat 5 and got comparisons against any other cables?

I can get my hands on Cat 5 easily as friends have plenty left. Considering trying it out.

18. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    :D

Here is the link to Mark's post where you can order the cables .

Despite the purple plug sleeve they are available in different colours including white cable. The cables are great and despite being reasonably thick they are very soft and flexible.

If you buy Mark Grant you are paying for the quality of the cable and interconnect and not for shiny plugs and glossy materials. If you want a 'beautiful' cable you may want to look elswhere but I doubt you will get anything as good for twice the price.

(don't get me wrong these are nice looking cables just not like a prop from Star Wars or something :rotfl: )

The bottom line with these cables is that they will last through all your upgrades. The quality is probably over the top but at least you won't ever worry your cable is a weak link.

3m will cost you £33 delivered and you usually get them next day.

19. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I've just upgraded my DVD player (after owning it for 1 week), knew I should have got the upper one in the first place. It's been teasing me all week lol.

Well looks lke the Sub's on hold for a month or two.

Starting to lean towards getting a Loewe Aconda 2nd hand TV at end of month. Should be owning the Sub by xmas.

Thanks for the advice btw. I'm going to take a closer look at the Mark grant cables thread and see what's happening there and may go that way.

Don't think I'll spend out on any mains cables for a while, but think I'll get a decent surge protection multiway though (best part of £100 will go on it I think)

Regards,

Dan.