1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Sub question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Frazal666, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I want to get a more powerful subwoofer for my Stereo (It came with a 160W Sub). If I get an active 300W Sub, will the bass actually be 300W? My stereo feeds 160W through the Sub channel, but because the new Sub will have a more powerful built-in amp, wont it sound like it? Main reason is because my mother is not impressed with her Home cinemas Sub, so I thought ill give her my old one as its better. Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't worry too much about the watts of a subwoofer as the power output of the sub's amp is only a small part of the overall design.

My first sub was the REL Q Bass which had a 40watt amp and pumped out loads of delicious bass. There are subs nowadays with 500 watt amps that will still not be as loud or as deep as my old Q Bass and what bass they do produce will contain distortion so will be less desirable.

What sub does your mother have that she isn't happy with ?

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea, its quite old, sorry. Maybe you can reccomend me any good subs for a good price.