Question Active Studio Monitors for HT/Stereo - what's the consensus?

Been doing some more listening, I defo prefer these for stereo listening, much better image and sharper highs, although the HT12s win on the impact and wow factor front. They also get more than loud enough for stereo listening, got the third arriving tomorrow so will be able to try out some films!

Right, so I've had a look around and the few multi channel versions that are available cost significantly more. A pair of Behringer Hum Destroyers are still more cost effective, it appears.

I look forward to your impressions with all three LCRs, should be interesting if you can get the hum under control. Might even warrant a move away from AVRs and to AVPs (hello XLR!) and power amps. ;)

Right, so I've had a look around and the few multi channel versions that are available cost significantly more. A pair of Behringer Hum Destroyers are still more cost effective, it appears.

I look forward to your impressions with all three LCRs, should be interesting if you can get the hum under control. Might even warrant a move away from AVRs and to AVPs (hello XLR!) and power amps. ;)
Another update, using subwoofer cables instead of normal RCA seems to have reduced the hums to below audible at the mlp, however I have calibrated slightly differently. I have set the L/R trims in the AVR to 0, and then adjusted the gains on the back of each until they read 75dbc at the mlp for reference, just so happens the dials are slightly more than half way which helps reduce the hum further. Excited to try the C tomorrow and see how it compares my other speakers! Thanks again for the help, will check back in tomorrow with some impressions!

What do we have here?

Attachments

• 09A4448A-28E5-44D4-B617-EB3D878A58E7.jpeg
    09A4448A-28E5-44D4-B617-EB3D878A58E7.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 126
Well, got the center in, calibrated all to reference levels as per my routine before and I have to say I'm amazed. Re-wind a few weeks and I was skeptical about using studio monitors for HT, however after some John Wick and BR2049, I am very surprised how great they sound, event at reference levels, the highs have a crispness I didn't get with the HT-12's, however they aren't quite as scary, they still get to crazy loud volumes without a hint of distortion. Really made up with these, thanks to everyone who helped get me there, theres more to cinema than just spl!!!

Well, got the center in, calibrated all to reference levels as per my routine before and I have to say I'm amazed. Re-wind a few weeks and I was skeptical about using studio monitors for HT, however after some John Wick and BR2049, I am very surprised how great they sound, event at reference levels, the highs have a crispness I didn't get with the HT-12's, however they aren't quite as scary, they still get to crazy loud volumes without a hint of distortion. Really made up with these, thanks to everyone who helped get me there, theres more to cinema than just spl!!!

That's a result! Sounds like you're really enjoying them.:smashin:

So you have a perfectly matched front soundstage, I would consider adding some of the smaller models for surrounds if you could. They'd provide seamless integration and envelopment, that Blade Runner intro is sure to take your breath away.

That's a result! Sounds like you're really enjoying them.:smashin:

So you have a perfectly matched front soundstage, I would consider adding some of the smaller models for surrounds if you could. They'd provide seamless integration and envelopment, that Blade Runner intro is sure to take your breath away.
I am considering doing exactly that but the position of the surrounds makes it difficult, my current surrounds are embedded in the walls like so, the only way of doing this would be to rip those boxes out, plaster over and paint and then somehow Mount the speakers on the walls. Hmmm

Attachments

• 9A72949C-94FF-4C45-BF96-C46641C17024.jpeg
    9A72949C-94FF-4C45-BF96-C46641C17024.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 112
Just finished the film Logan, great film and great soundtrack, I love the details that these speakers are able to capture, especially during high action scenes! For anyone tempted by studio monitors, DO IT!!!

So are you going to stick with the Presonus Eris 8 XTs for a while, or get something larger?
Going to stick with them for a while until I get another urge to upgrade. They’re running at around 50% to reach reference whereas the HT12s were running at like 1%, so a lot more headroom with the HT12s but it’s headroom not being ever used and I prefer the music presentation from the 8s.

Going to stick with them for a while until I get another urge to upgrade. They’re running at around 50% to reach reference whereas the HT12s were running at like 1%, so a lot more headroom with the HT12s but it’s headroom not being ever used and I prefer the music presentation from the 8s.

Good to hear you’re happy with them - at least for now! How do you find the dynamics and imaging compared to the HT12s?

Good to hear you’re happy with them - at least for now! How do you find the dynamics and imaging compared to the HT12s?
Dynamics wise they don’t quite go from 0-100 like the HT12s, and the seat to seat consistency isn’t as good which is one thing the HT12s excelled at. The 8s do have more top end sparkle and a little smoother midrange, probably just flatter response overall. If this was a movies only set up, which it isn’t, I’d have kept the HT12s.

I've just ordered one of the Behringer hum destroyers and some Stagg cables to see if it'll eliminate the 'hiss / hum' I'm getting through my JBL active speakers. I'll update once it arrives and I've had chance to set it up...

Huge Genelec fan boy here, from back in Smurfin's and AngelEyes' day.
Hi Matt, hope you're doing well. Presumably you can now play The Piano sound track at any volume?
I'm here looking to see what interest there might be in all my Genelecs should I list them in January (for much the same reasons as Smurfin). 2x HTS4Bs, 4x AIC25s, 7x AIW26s....
Won't revert to JBLs. I'll just keep my two white 8341As as they're ace with their room correction systems and lots of room treatment.

I'm still thinking of getting Neumann 120 as active rears ;-)

Got the firm ok from the Mrs to get two Neumann KH120 for rear... well it was "just stop talking about speakers and get what you want and put it where you want" (no that isn't an ok for Atmos, she's made that clear). I was thinking of keeping my Mission 77ds mounted high in the rear (and on the wall but they are bipolar) and going for a 7.1 set up, but looking up speaker placement it seems two speakers are meant to be at the side of the MLP. I couldn't put speakers to the side of the main sofa without binning one sofa which is problematic. I could put them just behind if I moved the sofa a foot forward which I could get away with.

Of course I could mount the KH120 on the wall and angle them to the MLP and forget about the Missions (which would be a bit wider out than the KH120 and higher but otherwise the same distance) or just for a bundle of speakers ;-) or claim I have 7.1 with suboptimal placement!

So it all has got me wondering how much I can possible gain by getting the active rears in my setup, other than 1) meaning it's a clear cut case of wanting a processor rather than a receiver 2) it will just be better ;-)

Well that didn't take long. Found my local shop had a couple of KH120a in as well as some Gravity stands and so splashed out for some retail therapy given another school lockdown.

The layout in the photo is a temporary arrangement, I wasn't sure where to wall mount the speakers and so just wanted stands to try out different heights and spacings. I'll experiment a while before I mount them.

I also know the speakers aren't in the correct orientation, I did this as they are more stable like this and more likely to survive wife/child attacks... but also because it matches my KH310 aesthetically ;-)

You can just about see one of my Mission77ds on the far left. Those two as you can see are much higher and further spaced out than I wanted to try with the KH120a.

For tonight I didn't do anything with REW of the PEQ (everything set to 0 correction), I set the volume adjustment to 0 and the distances I measured manually. Bass correction on the speaker of -7.5db, I went for a db output which sounded roughly right for the test tone on the Yamaha 3070.

I tried them out for 30mins or so with Blade Runner (opening to the first interview) played 3 times (once all speakers, then twice with just the KH120a), then I listed to some Fleetwood Mac in 2 channel front, 2 channel rear (9 channel mode and turning off the fronts) and 9channel mode.

No question the KH120a whip the 77ds for the music and I personally love music in 9 channel mode which sounds cohesive again (with the KH310 + Mission 77ds in 9 channel mode things sounded dire).

For Blade Runner I was amazed how I didn't feel I was missing anything compared to the 77ds. Vangelis sounded just as spacious, the room felt alive. Rear sounds felt like they had more impact down below somehow and the panning of the craft flying by felt very smooth.

I've heard that first few minutes of Blade Runner a great many times on my (and other set ups) so any equipment of mine has to sound great with that!

So I was amazed how good they sounded basically out of the box and probably not even at the right height, spacing or angle!

I should try plugging in the 77ds for 7.1 for the hell of it, but clearly the speakers aren't in the right positions for this, with the KH120 being better currently placed for back speakers from what I can tell.

One thing which is clear to me is that their placing is going to give a small "sound bubble" but it's no worse than the 77ds to be honest.

20210105_223204_small.jpg

So assuming I don't bother with using the 77ds anymore that leaves me with purely active speakers and in the market for a decent processor if one will beat my Yamaha 3070 to my ears.

I do have a nagging feeling i should use xlr connects rather than rca but when I tested that awful arcam I couldn't hear any improvement.

However I do have a ground loop on the rca which is predictable i guess. The loop noise is only there with the speakers on and receiver off but it nags me it might be present in the signal during use (not that I can hear it!)

This "ground loop" problem has always bothered me. When I got the Neumann 120a for rears I tried swapping them to the front position and using the same XLR or power cabling as the Neumann 310a to see if they had the humming. The 120a didn't exhibit any humming.

In the end on a whim I changed ground connect switch (from lift to connect) on one of my three Neumann 310a and madly the hum on ALL THREE stopped. I put it back to "lift", hum was back, tried setting the ground connect on another one... and again all three stopped humming!

So I've set the ground connect (which to be fair is the default and you're meant to use ground lift if you have a ground loop) on all three and I've not had any humming. So very happy! Again this humming was only there when the speakers were on and the receiver off.

Also there was something bothering me on DTS-HD tracks mainly with dialogue which I couldn't put my finger on. I moved the projector from the massively-over-loaded extension cable the receiver was plugged into to it's own dedicated wall socket and since then I've not noticed this something on any film. So again happy.

Great read guys! I am now also interested in some active speakers for my LCR

I haven't got a budget really but not got a money tree in the yard to speak.

Hi all!

Lurked this thread for a few years and finally decided to join

I ended up following this advice and set up Adam S3V L/R an S3H for center, and a7x for surrounds

The results are amazing!

I originally had an adam sub10 paired with the a7x in 2.1 but now added a rythmik fv18 up front with the sub10 to the side in near field

Its the best 5.1 setup ive ever heard.

Now im considering mounting 4 or 6 of the a7x on the ceiling and getting 4 s2v for surrounds and rears.

The problem is.. i cant find a reliable way to ceiling mount an a7x.. the adam mount plate only appears on the a5x and smaller

The S2V is mountable, but too expensive for that many, and i already have 4 a7x speakers.

Last edited:
Great choice Lytic, I’m very jealous!

I’ve been working my way towards a 7.1 set up using S3X-H. I noticed Adam are releasing an updated A series range imminently, it looks like there’s going to be a compact 3 way in the range, a mini S3-H.
So I may yet change my plans and add the new A’s as the surrounds, or even move to 7 of them if they leapfrog my S3Xs SQ wise.
We’ll see.

How do you find the imaging of the S3s? I imagine they’re pretty awesome if they’re anything like the S3X range.

Hi all!

Lurked this thread for a few years and finally decided to join

I ended up following this advice and set up Adam S3V L/R an S3H for center, and a7x for surrounds

The results are amazing!

I originally had an adam sub10 paired with the a7x in 2.1 but now added a rythmik fv18 up front with the sub10 to the side in near field

Its the best 5.1 setup ive ever heard.

Now im considering mounting 4 or 6 of the a7x on the ceiling and getting 4 s2v for surrounds and rears.

The problem is.. i cant find a reliable way to ceiling mount an a7x.. the adam mount plate only appears on the a5x and smaller

The S2V is mountable, but too expensive for that many, and i already have 4 a7x speakers.

The A5X are a better bet for ceiling mounting.

They are smaller and lighter, but they lose very little in outright SPL to the 7s and, naturally, you don’t need to be concerned about anything beneath about 80Hz as the sub covers that admirably.

Selling the 7s should see you raise enough to get the 5s new without much, if any extra outlay.

Great choice Lytic, I’m very jealous!

I’ve been working my way towards a 7.1 set up using S3X-H. I noticed Adam are releasing an updated A series range imminently, it looks like there’s going to be a compact 3 way in the range, a mini S3-H.
So I may yet change my plans and add the new A’s as the surrounds, or even move to 7 of them if they leapfrog my S3Xs SQ wise.
We’ll see.

How do you find the imaging of the S3s? I imagine they’re pretty awesome if they’re anything like the S3X range.
Ive never heard the s3x, though they were my goal while saving up, and the s3v happened to come out before i saved enough

Luckily thomann now ships to United States (they didnt before) so that brings price down considerably compared to local retailers

The imaging is very wide. Covers 3 seats of my couch very well with the recommended 60° equillateral placement with listening position.

They are closer to the wall than i would like, and one is in a corner, but that cant be helped in my room :(

The s3h allegedly has a notch at 1k off axis, but its very minimal. 3db at most. I cant hear it (im more sensitive to notches under 200hz), and dialog sounds great even on the side couch outside the surround staging

Ps, you can’t beat Adams. I’ve had all the smaller x series over the years, and my current active Compacts (anything but) are the ‘home’ version of the S2s. Still awesome.

Your HT has to be extraordinary.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom