1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Andywilliams, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi All
    What i would like to know is how do you go about hooking up active speakers .Can you use your receiver or do you need a separate pre amp.
    Cheers Gonzo:)

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    You can use your receiver if it has Pre-Outs for it's main channels. Some have Pre-Outs for all channels, others only have Front & Sub Pre-Outs, some only have a Sub Pre-Out etc etc. Alternatively you could just use a Processor and plug the Active speakers directly into it's Pre-Outs.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Jase
    The reason i wanted to know is that i was thinking of the mackie hr624s.My speakers are either side of my tv and i havent much room left under my tv so would the mackies give me good music playback(dont have to buy separate stereo amp) the speakers have to go up to the wall at the sides of my tv, from what ive read the mackies would be fine in this position i would also be able to use my subwoofer with stereo which i wouldnt with an intergrated stereo amp as i can only use line level or high level on there own not together.Looking at the whole set up i should be able to make a significant upgrade without adding more boxes.
    Cheers Gonzo:)
    PS do the speakers connect with a single interconnect.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    These speakers are £1,000 per pair which is a lot to spend if you are just after saving space under your TV. It would be cheaper to buy a Soundstyle AV rack to house all your AV gear on.

5. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Active speakers only need a single phono interconnect from the Pre-Amp to the speaker although if they are Pro Speakers you made need an adaptor of sorts. The best person to ask is Spligsey as he has the Mackie Actives. :) I've not heard them myself.

6. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    £700 a pair, I think.

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    (Not cheap, but not too expensive either, when you consider you're getting high quality amplification to boot.)

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Ian
    The mackies are 700 quid a pair .Iwas going to get a new avunit and buy the arcam a85+ but selling my old speakers and buying 5 mackies which digital village say they can do there wouldnt be alot of differance in cost i am limited on space and the mackies are supposed to work well in confined spaces from what i can gather the mackies are very good with music and like i said i want to use the svs as it sounds so good with music as you already know.
    Gonzo.;)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Make sure that you like the "monitor sound" first as many don't, finding it too harsh. Personally I do like that sort of sound as I would imagine it to be similar to M&K

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    Or a single XLR interconnect in some cases.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer going the passive route myself- people could start off with getting a affordable Rotel 1075, then maybe comparing various 5 channel poweramps. With a active speaker you're stuck with the built-in poweramp.

And if something blows in a active speaker you'll have no speaker until it's replaced- and will be expensive to repair (if a 2 channel poweramp blows/unrepairable I can easily buy another one)

Also them Meridian DSP speakers are way over-priced IMO, as each speaker has it's own DAC.

They're probably more suited to the studio enviroment, as each unit is self-contained and less items are needed to get them up & running.

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Thats the problem with buying stuff without having first hearing them .Saying that i put my trust in Ian J about the svs and it sounds great to me too, so most folks that i know on the forum that have brought m&k like them very much so i might have to trust spligsey on the mackies.At a later stage i would also change the nad for a decent processor which should also be for the better.Just a note Ian the folks that have heard your m&ks with music what reactions did they give to there performance.
    Cheers Gonzo.

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Of course,nathan,unless you have active speakers with external power amps(Linn etc)and in any case the quality of amps in good active speakers such as ATC and Meridian are well into high end levels.

The Meridian DSP range are designed to be used as part of a Meridian digital system,and offer far more than simply being a set of active speakers with a DAC chucked in....if you wanted an active speaker from Meridian without the DACs....look to the M60 and M33....lower priced and superb quality.

14. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As alexs2 touched upon, quality actives should be very reliable indeed. Let's not forget that apart from being designed to offer highly neutral sound quality, they are designed as workhorses which will be used almost non stop day in day out.
    I would hate to think how much money a mastering facility would lose if it were out of action even for one day because of some faulty actives.

15. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Eric
    Do you think going active would be for the better or should i go for somthing like the rotel rsp-1066 and rmb-1075 with new av unit and keep the monitor audio silver speakers.I want to improve my system both with movies and music but iam stuck with speaker positioning so need speakers that dont get boomy when placed close to the wall. The monitor audios have the bungs fitted and sound very good but i want to take things a little bit further .
    Cheers Gonzo.:confused:

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Gonzo....I realise your query is directed to eric,but wanted to ask what your budget was approximately?

17. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Alexs2
    With me selling either speakers or receiver to get extra cash i would be able to put around 1500 quid extra.
    Cheers Gonzo.

18. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Wow. If I'd realised my little question about actives, with help from Spligsey, would lead to this I'd have asked Mackie for commission. :D

Gonzo: Some of the actives like the Mackies have adjustments for positioning. Bass rolloff for console, wall or free space mounting for example. Whether these switches are really usefull or just something to fiddle with and get wrong is debatable.

If your lucky a pro dealer near you will have some actives for demo but don't go at the weekend. That's when they're full of the next gen of Nu-metallers playing around on guitars.

ATM I'm trying to find someone local to get a demo of the HHB circle 3A which I've been told are a very listenable more 'hi-fi' speaker whatever that means?

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    gonzo.....if you are looking at actives,and wanted good quality at reasonable cost,it's worth looking for the likes of Meridian M3 or M2 speakers,which I know are nearing 15yrs old now,but still sound excellent,and are suitable for near wall placement....these usually fetch £250-400 per pair on ebay....spares are not a problem for these either.

20. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Avanzato
    Let me know how you get on iam going to give my decision some thought as this is going to be quite alot of pennies to spend(to me anyway)and dont want to get it wrong.
    Gonzo.:suicide:
    Alexs2
    I dont want to go second hand as to risky in dropping a bollock thanks anyway.

21. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Eric made a very valid point about the fact that pro active monitors are designed to undertake hefty workloads over many hours, something which is carefully taken into consideration in the design of the units.
    Also, they are designed to take high SPL levels too.
    If you do push it that little bit too much (over a lengthy period), their safety mechs kick in to avoid damage.
    I have listened to a few films / music DVD's over the last few days, and quite frankly, they sound fantastic through the HR624's.
    Minority report, Daredevil & Eagles - Hell Freezes Over being the highlights far.
    Dynamics, clarity & control spring to mind.
    Havent pushed it, as i havent got my sub yet.
    The benefits of having that will really get the best out of the Mackies.
    I've owned M&K 750THX select, Dynaudio BM15's (pro monitor) & Monitor Audio Silver 8i's.
    The Mackies have ruled with an iron rod over these.

Spligs.

22. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Adz
    Do you think these speakers would be ok in confined spaces, i want to upgrade my speakers and was going for a quality stereo amp for music if i could do both jobs at once and get better sound for music and movies from actives that is what i would prefer.Did you get to demo the mackies first or did you get them on recommendation.
    Cheers Gonzo.

23. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Gonz.
    On the rear panel of the Mackies you have different 'Acoustic Space' settings. Basically, it offers different parameters for the speaker position.
    It takes into account the different bass response of the unit in relation to it's placement, free standing, against the wall, or in the corners. You can adjust the toggle switch to the setting which best describes your setup. (no harm in experimenting either)
    In a back wall & corner setup, the bass will be reduced by about 2/4dB respectively, to counter the increased bass response from that type of situation.
    In free standing mode, it will be 'as norm' ie...no dB reduction.
    Bearing in mind this information, i think the Mackies will work ok in most domestic environments.
    Naturally, placing them away from walls & corners will give the best results. They have a terrific bass response for small monitors.

I had a brief listen to the HR624's in the dealers.
    I had heard their bigger HR824 brothers a few times, both in domestic & studio environments.
    I was quite aware of what the Mackie sound would be.

Test so far have confirmed that the HR624 is a great dual purpose monitor, beit music or films.

Adz

24. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks Adz.
    Would you say they sound anything like the m&k range .I thought of demoing some at sevenoaks to try and give me some idea of what to expect.
    Sorry about all the questions i just want to make the best decision.
    Gonzo.

25. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Gonz, no sweat at all mate.

Personally, i prefer the high frequency response of the Mackies over the M&K designs i have heard.
    The Mackie tweeters remain poised @ high SPL's.
    My old M&K 750THX Selects used to get a tad harsh when the SPL's were floored. (my room acoustics didn't help either!!)
    They do share similar traits, excellent clarity & decisive midrange.
    In that respect, their sound is not a million miles apart.
    Also, the Mackies have a greater bass response, but M&K's are designed to have a subwoofer taking care of the low frequency, so that's not surprising.
    Mackies are perfectly @ home with a subwoofer too.
    Therefore, to my ears & in my environment, the Mackies have a better balanced sound than the M&K units around the same price point.

Adz

26. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dead on Spligs. One of the major flaws with the 750's was their inherent brightness which was always a little overwhelming. For me anyway.

27. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Indeed mate, i remember you telling me that, despite my initial reluctance to agree.
    It was only when swapping to Dynaudios that they were slightly exposed.

Adz