Question Active Speakers with Wireless

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by steve62742, Aug 21, 2018.

1. steve62742

steve62742
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking at those two options to buy: Yamaha NX-n500 and AudioEngine A5+.

After a lot of searching and reading, I think that the audioengine are better given that you will also buy an external DAC (Yamaha's built-in one is supposed to be really good ?). The problem is that I would really like to be able to stream from phone/tablet to those but the audioengine doesn't have this functionality. I see that there is a audioengine b1 gadget that makes them wireless but, given the price the D1 DAC and B1 then the whole package surpass the Yamaha's. Is it worth it in the end?

I know that recently audioengine released the A5+ Wireless which as I have read is the same system but with wireless builtin, but I cannot find it anywhere in my country (Greece).

I also have read that the Yamaha one doesn't support an external subwoofer which is not mandatory for now but I would like to keep it as an open option for later.

So, what do you think of these options? Should I wait for the A5+ Wireless, go for the normal ones and then, later on, purchase the add-ons or go for the all-in-one Yamaha one?

(the system will be used to play music (mostly) from my pc and from a turntable, having the wireless option is relatively important, I can also get a google chromecast for that but I have read very mixed reviews about its sound quality)

2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,161
    The ChromeCast is very good. A bargain in the genuine sense of the word.

Ignore those who say otherwise; they are, as likely as not, those odd audiophile creatures.

The CC is certainly more than good enough for actives speakers at your price point.

3. steve62742

steve62742
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, which of the Yamaha/audioengine would you say is a better choice? There are countless reviews for the audioengine but not so much for the Yamaha ones

4. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    The Yamaha are very well specced as a complete system, just going by what I've read I'd imagine both sound great but the yamahas are a complete hifi solution

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    Can you give us a price on the Yamaha NX-N500? I'm guessing about £500/pr.

You might consider the Edifier S2000 Pro (£430/pr) which have Optical, Coaxial, AUX, Bluetooth, Tone Controls, 5.5" bass driver, and a Remote Control -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-S2000-Pro-Active-Speakers/dp/B01MTJ0FEY/

EDiFIER - S2000 Pro Active Monitor

Nice size, nice look, lots of features.

If you decide you want Network Streaming, then there are some options there. The Google Chromecast-Audio being the cheapest at about £30 -

Curry's - GOOGLE Chromecast Audio

Another option, though getting more expensive, is the Yamaha WXC-50 Network Pre-Amp (~£250). This gives you full Network Streaming and a Pre-Amp to control your Active Speakers.

Yamaha MusicCast WXC50 Networked Pre Amplifier - Superfi

There are other options, but this should give you some sense of the Possibilities.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331