Active Speakers with Ribbon or AMT Tweeter

ExoPolitics

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have been looking for a bookshelf speaker for my office that is active with XLR input. I was pretty close to going with either the Elac Navis or Acoustic Energy AE1 but I decided to go listen to some studio monitors locally as that is the only option for buying speakers where I live (other then big box Best Buy).

I listened to some Adam T7V speakers and remembered how much I enjoy a AMT tweeter (from when I had some Martin Logan Motion 35XTI and to a lesser degree Elac Carina). Searching online I've only really found the studio monitor options (Adam, Pre Sonus and HEDD) and AirPulse on Amazon but I was hoping for something a little "hifi" I guess or just what other options might be out there. My budget is around $1500 - $2000 CDN but could go slightly above that.

There are more options on passive out there (Audiovector, Golden Ears, Martin Logan, Elac) but hoping I am just not seeing something obvious when I get some time to search. Have had some good advice on here so looking for options.

Thanks!

@Ugg10, @Paul7777x are experts regarding active speakers. They most certainly would help you😊

Can’t think of too many with ribbon tweeters outside of Adam at that price. If you can find a pair of second hand A7X then that would be my choice. The Eve audio SC208 has an amt but is again a grey box.

The Swan M3A / M300mk2 / m500 are more of a lifestyle 3way active but Z reviews on YouTube rate them. May be available from Amazon. Iirc these use Hivi drivers which are pretty good (same parent company I think).

As for more “Hifi looking” studio active monitors the Dynaudio Lyd series or Focal Studio 65 would do the job nicely I think but are not ribbon/amt.

If you want to go passive then the Wharfedale Evo 4.1/4.2 and Quad S1/Z1 plus an amp of your choice would do the job.

Last edited:
The general term "ribbon tweeters" often includes magnetostatic (planar) tweeters too, so I've included them. A further few studio options, other than those already mentioned:

Allegedly, the best sounding current AMT tweeter is the HEDD design.

Sorry I guess I meant from a traditional Hifi company. I've had no problem finding options from companies that make what would be considered studio monitors (not that they can't be used for other purposes).

The general term "ribbon tweeters" often includes magnetostatic (planar) tweeters too, so I've included them. A further few studio options, other than those already mentioned:

Allegedly, the best sounding current AMT tweeter is the HEDD design.
Thanks for those links. I did listen to the EVE speaker on a youtube channel DSAUDIO review and had preferred the Adams. Will look into the ESI.

Can’t think of too many with ribbon tweeters outside of Adam at that price. If you can find a pair of second hand A7X then that would be my choice. The Eve audio SC208 has an amt but is again a grey box.

The Swan M3A / M300mk2 / m500 are more of a lifestyle 3way active but Z reviews on YouTube rate them. May be available from Amazon. Iirc these use Hivi drivers which are pretty good (same parent company I think).

As for more “Hifi looking” studio active monitors the Dynaudio Lyd series or Focal Studio 65 would do the job nicely I think but are not ribbon/amt.

If you want to go passive then the Wharfedale Evo 4.1/4.2 and Quad S1/Z1 plus an amp of your choice would do the job.
Thanks,
I actually did get to listen to the smallest LYD in store and preferred the Adam sound. Might have to look more into passives as there are lots of choices, I had forgotten about the Quad series.

One point about active studio monitor speakers - they nearly always offer better sound-per-Canadian dollar than similar spec'd speakers (and indeed passive speakers + amp systems) aimed at the hifi market. There are a few reasons for this which I've written about before so won't bore everyone again. There's a fair bit of anecdotal evidence too, such as the review of the Event Opals by Martin Collums:

"I kept forgetting that it cost just £2,500/pair, including the four onboard power amps, finding myself reminded of £15,000 amp/speaker combinations in the way it recreates
dynamic contrasts and atmosphere – and then some."

For your budget, if you also want (what many consider to be) nice cabinetry, then you'll need to accept a reduction in sound quality, IME.

Definitely agree with dogfonos about the value of studio monitors based on my very limited experience with them.

Another interesting looking speaker to confuse you more is the fluid audio fpx7. It has a coaxial design with a ribbon tweeter which I have never seen on another speaker. Very helpful for nearfield use.

Fluid audio also make the cx7 which is the same speaker with a more "hifi" finish, cost is a little more but not extortionate and seems very fair.

So just a bit of an update. I was really thinking of just going with the Hedd Type 05 Mk2 and knowing I bought a great speaker, but both my furnaces need to be replaced in the house so I decided to just scale back what I am using for now. (Also have 2 smaller kids so need to get through daycare stage). I ended up getting the Adam T5V for now and have to say I am pretty happy so far with them on a desk. My biggest issue is my pre amp (Fiio K5 Pro) doesn't use XLR and is bringing in coil whine through the RCA output (regardless of using USB or Optical inputs from my PC, or using power conditioners). Part of me wonders if I should maybe go to the A5X model just to get the power button on the front and probably a bit more power overall. I do have 30 days to decide though, for now I need to settle on a pre amp that has Balanced XLR outputs and a headphone input as I am done using the Fiio. I never had this issue when I had a JDS Element DAC/Amp.

So just a bit of an update. I was really thinking of just going with the Hedd Type 05 Mk2 and knowing I bought a great speaker, but both my furnaces need to be replaced in the house so I decided to just scale back what I am using for now. (Also have 2 smaller kids so need to get through daycare stage). I ended up getting the Adam T5V for now and have to say I am pretty happy so far with them on a desk. My biggest issue is my pre amp (Fiio K5 Pro) doesn't use XLR and is bringing in coil whine through the RCA output (regardless of using USB or Optical inputs from my PC, or using power conditioners). Part of me wonders if I should maybe go to the A5X model just to get the power button on the front and probably a bit more power overall. I do have 30 days to decide though, for now I need to settle on a pre amp that has Balanced XLR outputs and a headphone input as I am done using the Fiio. I never had this issue when I had a JDS Element DAC/Amp.

It's not the Fiio that's the problem, you have developed a ground loop between your PC and the amplifier in your speakers, therefore changing the DAC/Amp is very unlikely to help. You are angry with the wrong piece of equipment.

Power conditioners don't work for ground loops (or for much else for that matter).

Try one of these which will sort it all out. You may need an extra set of short RCA cables too.

Amazon product ASIN B000KUD2G4

If for some strange reason it doesn't work (and I'm confident it will) then you can just return it.

Last edited:
A7X works fantastic for HT in my experience

A5X may be lacking power depending on listening distance

Martin Logan makes speakers with ribbon tweeters, as does Monitor Audio

I love my adam 5.1 though, and im planning an all adam 7.1.4 setup

Try turning your pre-amp up and turning your speaker volume down

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom