Active speakers + turntable = super quiet

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by EdTribe, May 4, 2016.

1. EdTribe

EdTribe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to audio setup so please bear with me.

I've got a pair of Pioneer S-DJ50x active speakers and I'm connecting them via an RCA cable to a Project Debut II turntable.

Only problem is the volume output is very low. I have to turn the speakers up to full to get anything remotely loud enough for me to listen to.

Any ideas what the problem is?

2. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You need to add a phono stage (A pre-amplifier designed specifically for turntables) between your turntable and your speakers.

Turning tables have a much lower voltage output than active speakers are designed for, the same as any amplifier that does not have a built in phono stage. Apart from increasing the voltage output, a phono stage will also equalise The bass and treble frequencies that your stylus will pick up from the vinyl - The manufacturing process of final means that the frequencies are out of balance.

Project make a cheap phone stage.