1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Speakers - How good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stonedragon, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

Does anybody the ups and downs of active speakers. I currently own Kef q6 at the front and Q1's at the rear and the awsome B&W 850 doing things in the bass department.

Now I am happy with the speakers..... until I put on classical music. Some how they just seem lacking. Listening to regular stuff (pop, hip hop etc is great) but with classical everything just seems to be so, subdued. I want a speakers that will do classical music in the same way that hip-hop is done. That is loud and in yer face especially those peices that call for it (planets, 1812 etc). For example I was listening to the 1812 the other day and the bit when the bills were ringing near the end was sooooooo dissapointing. I think we all know what bells sound like, well instead of hearing ear ripping peels of bells ringing the whole thing sounded like the speakers were wrapped in pillows or the like. Very dissapointing :thumbsdow

Now the question I have, is the problem with my speakers and would changing them to active speakers give me that in yer face sound with classical music (and everything else as well). Or perhaps, do I need to change my receiver (currently the AVR2803 - old model).

Any experiences/advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance. :hiya:

2. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, correction/clarification needed. I have a Q6 centre speaker up front and Q5's for the main floor standers. Sorry about the confusion.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't think that changing to active speakers in itself is the answer as they come in as many flavours as passive speakers. It sounds like you are looking for something a little more dynamic than your current speakers and perhaps a change to monitor type speakers may be your answer

4. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian J,

Thanks for the advice. Any ideas as to brands that I should be considering?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    M&K are probably the best known brand but PMC are well worth considering.

Pro Audio are selling the rather nice PMC DB1+ here at what I understand to be a good discount.

If you want active speakers the Genelecs are highly thought of and the 8030 is a good little speaker being sold at a good price here

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This simply could be down to the way the bells were equalised during the recording/mastering process.

The engineer may have calmed them down a tad to prevent people from turning the volume down when they start "peeling". The Living Presence version of 1812 immediately springs to mind - its no-holds barred in this regard and rather scary :eek:

I understand why modern engineers do it - 1812 is a difficult listen with all the cannons etc.

DT

7. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian J,

Thanks for your pointers. Will take a look and let you know how I get on and Dynamic Turtle, cheers for your advice as well.

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    Don't forget to have a look at Mackie actives, I moved from M&K to them two years ago and have no plans to replace them for some time yet. They have everything you are looking at, bags of power, detailed and open sound, yet unlike the M&K imho they do not give that fatiging feel over time. They are also very well priced.

9. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Phil,

I like the sound of what you're saying. What model do you have and would there be a chance to demo some time in the future?

10. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    A bit of a generalisation i think, as their is so many models. (older models like S85, S125 and S150 are not as bright imho)

Active speakers from M&K are very expensive and the mackies and bluesky's are good value if you can live without grills.

I have heard both mackies and bluesky's and they sound quite different (I found bluesky's quite fatiguing, but that may have been partly because of the TAG they were hooked up to.)

Anyway they do home dem's and it is better to test in your own system.
    Cheers John

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    I live in Durham, but if you want to hear them we can arrange something no problem. I have 5 x HR624's

I should say I owned 750's and have listened to 850's for extended periods, and S85's in my system, with quality amplification, this is where my comments come from.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    StoneDragon

I'd look at what comes before your loudspeakers before you go assuming you need to upgrade in that area.

A Denon AVR-2803 may be an OK AV Receiver but not (I'd suggest) the last word in Music reproduction.

You don't mention your source either - is it a CD or a DVD player?

If possible I'd try and audition a decent CD player + Stereo amp with your KEF Q5 in your listening room; give the Q5 a decent front end and amplification before you write them off.

You may find you have to try and integrate a Stereo + Multichannel amplifier into your set up to achieve a good balance between Music and Movies.

Best regards

Joe

13. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After speaking to a few more people, the general opinion is to follow Joe's advice and upgrade my source, before blaming the speakers. I'm going to bow to this body of opinion and begin in the first instance reviewing a decent CD player and stero amp. Any suggestions for a bugdet of about £1500 for both items?

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Stonedragon

Quite a few options I guess - here's a couple of favourites to consider:

Naim CD5i CD Player + Nait 5i Integrated Amp.

Arcam Diva CD93 CD Player + Diva A80 Integrated Amp.

Best regards

Joe

15. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe,

I'll start looking at these and see what comes up. Cheers.