Active speaker setup in my living room (ATC)

IRobot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Front Speakers:- ATC SCM50ASL
Rear Speakers:- Genelec HT206B
Sub:- Bowers & Wilkins DB1
Pre/Pro:- Onkyo PRSC5509
Sources:- Oppo BDP83, SKY HD, Dune HD Smart D1, Squeezebox Touch
Projector: JVC HD750 (106" screen)

Acoustic treatments:- Auralex, Universal Acoustics and GIK

DSC007581280x768.jpg

DSC006701024x768.jpg

DSC005961024x768.jpg

DSC005981024x768.jpg

Attachments

• pic 9t.jpg
    pic 9t.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,298
Last edited:
Nice but isn't the Onkyo a limiting factor? Surely your ATC's deserve some real high end stuff from the likes of Meridien et al.

I hope that is a detached house too :laugh:

The Onkyo's an excellent processor. I'm a bit sceptical about "high-end" stuff and would only change the Onkyo for a genuine improvement in sound quality.

Yep, the house is detached :smashin:.

Holy ****!

Did you sell a Kidney or something?

Glad to see the XXLS400 is still lurking amongst such awesome equipment.

You must sit with a ridiculous grin when you press play!

Well done on getting to this point:smashin:

Wow nice setup :)

I've always wondered about bass traps...are they there to make the bass sound better or to reduce the bass getting out of the room?

The brightness of that PJ isn't that high, is it essential to have the black velvet panels around the screen to improve the video contrast because of that?

Glad to see the XXLS400 is still lurking amongst such awesome equipment.

It's an excellent sub, even though my front speakers are very capable, the XXLS400 raises the sound quality further when I use it to underpin the bass on the fronts. I have the fronts crossed over at 60Hz to the sub.

I've always wondered about bass traps...are they there to make the bass sound better or to reduce the bass getting out of the room?

The brightness of that PJ isn't that high, is it essential to have the black velvet panels around the screen to improve the video contrast because of that?

Bass traps help improve the bass in your room. You can read what they did for me in this thread:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/room-acoustics-audio-video-calibration/1258394-how-do-i-smooth-out-mid-base-response.html

The black velvet panels help stop light being reflected back off the walls/ceiling and onto the screen which reduces contrast. It's not necessary but it does make the image pop out more. There's a big thread about it in the projectors section:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/907414-maximising-image-contrast.html

The rack is an Atacama Europa 6.5SE ASSIST. That shop in Shrewsbury (Creative Audio) has got some really good prices on that rack.

Nice but isn't the Onkyo a limiting factor? Surely your ATC's deserve some real high end stuff from the likes of Meridien et al.

I hope that is a detached house too :laugh:

excuse my ignorance but isn't the job of the onkyo (top of the range btw) to just send the sound to the relevant speakers- surely the atc deals with the main job of amplification???

those of some serious serious speakers . i have read in some quarters that active speakers (Adam, genelec etc) offer the peak of sound quality.

do you ever use the system for music playback?

excuse my ignorance but isn't the job of the onkyo (top of the range btw) to just send the sound to the relevant speakers- surely the atc deals with the main job of amplification???

Yes you're right, but with all respect to Onkyo, Yamaha et al, their top end AV amps won't be a patch on the likes of the heavy hitters in that arena like Meridien, Linn etc......

As always with this stuff, GIGO. The ATCs can only work with the signal they get and the better that signal the more they will sing.

those of some serious serious speakers . i have read in some quarters that active speakers (Adam, genelec etc) offer the peak of sound quality.

do you ever use the system for music playback?

The sound has to be good to start with so the source and the pre-amp are even more important than the power amp.

Here's a good article about active vs passive:-
ATC Loudspeaker Technology Active Versus Passive Loudspeakers

I use the system a lot for stereo music and sometimes multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio music.

Love it and really like seeing the before and after shots I think the change in decor has made the world of difference. I also really like the look of the bass traps on the walls!

Thanks for sharing.

What a great setup, some serious kit there! well done...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom