Active speaker question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Colin2911, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Colin2911

Colin2911
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night i was in the loft and spotted some tibo nexus 400s i forgot about. I bought them down and attempted to wire them up to my onkyo cr 725 sub out to the 400s input. Nothing.. can someone explain why, Thanks

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Looking at the TIBOs they seem to have Analogue L/R + Optical digital (plus FM and usb) connectors on the rear of one speaker and I assume there is a connector from one speaker to the next.
    On the Onkyo the only output is the Subwoofer which will only output low frequencies and is mono.
    Therefore I can't see a way of hooking up the two together.
    The only possibility is to use the headphone output (need a 3.5mm to stereo rca cable) into the RCA inputs on the back of the speakers but the signal may not be strong enough and therefore limit the volume of the speakers, you will need to balance the onkyo and the tibo volume controls until you get sound at a reasonable level (may both be at max).

You really need an amp that has a pre-out connection to work with active/powered speakers.

The speakers seem to have Bluetooth so you can check they work by either plugging in a stand alone dvd or cd player if you have one (RCA audio output or optical output) or connecting to the bluetooth with a phone/tablet.

Sorry, this may not be the new you wanted and I'm happy to be corrected by others if this is not the case

EDIT - just looked in the manual and you could try connecting the dock/cdr or MD/Tape output to the Tibo analogue inputs with a stereo rca/phono cable. Note this is a fixed output and so the volume of the onkyo will do nothing and you will need to change volume with the controls on the tibo's. If you try these connection make sure that the volume of the speakers is at a minimum to start will and slowly increase.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018